William Allan

  • Alex
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 21, 2011
      I've got 3 William Allans as follows :

      WILLIAM ALLAN (Certificate of Service : s 35204)

      Born : c1800, son of John Allan (Flax-dresser & weaver) & Elizabeth Bruce

      Married : Catherine Forrest, daughter of Peter Forrest (Carter) & Catherine Grieve on January 22nd.1824
      She died on October 5th.1871 (Aged 73) (Death Certificate : 232 Entry 168)

      Died : March 26th.1872 (Aged 72) Buried in Lair A228 (Old Cemetery)

      Vessels :
      Union (Served as Mate) 1854
      Queen (Served as Mate) 1855
      Union 1856
      Gem (19546) (Served as Mate) 1857-58
      Xanthus (19542) 1859
      Commerce (19539) (Served as Mate) 1860
      Active (19557) (Served as Mate) 1865-66

      WILLIAM ALLAN (Certificate of Competency : c 9211 Aberdeen 1853)

      Born : August 17th.1823, son of John Allan (Seaman) & Margaret Forrest

      Married : Helen Wallace, daughter of William Wallace (Merchant Seaman) & Helen Chisholm on
      November 13th.1845 : OPR
      She died on March 5st.1905 (Aged 81) Buried in Lair D14 (Old Cemetery)

      Died : January 30th.1905 (Aged 81) Buried in Lair D14 (Old Cemetery)

      Residences :
      1851 – Prince Street

      Vessels :
      Mazinthien (19534) 1854-61
      Sir Colin Campbell (19563) (Served as Mate) 1862-63
      Brilliant (19543) (Served as Mate) 1864
      Brilliant (19543) 1865
      Ravenscraig (30847) 1866-73
      Alert (Served as Mate) 1875-76
      Helen West 1879
      Mary Jamieson (Served as Mate) 1880
      Catherine 1881
      Alert 1884-85
      Polar Star 1886 (Served as Mate)
      Heedful 1886
      Chieftain 1887
      Eclipse (Served as Mate) 1889
      Polar Star (Served as Mate) 1892

      WILLIAM ALLAN

      Born : November 13th.1845, son of William Allan & Helen Wallace

      Died : At sea on October 27th.1893 (Aged 48) (Death Certificate : 023/MR Entry 937)

      Vessels :
      Nova Zembla of Dundee (Served as Mate) 1893

      Alex Ritchie
    • C & J Hinricks
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 23, 2011
        Hi Alex
        Thanks for all that information on the Allan's.  Are you also a family member?  I haven't done a lot of research on the family myself as a cousin did it many years ago when we had to wait weeks for microfiche to come from the USA and then strain eyes to read it all in a short time before they were returned.  The internet has made a big difference and we have discovered/confirmed  things that were in her notes but not a certainty at the time.  I can now go and check things with Scotland's People if I have to as she is not as comfortable with the computer as I am.
        The info that Wayne has put on this site is so good.  A real labour of love which has saved many of us dollars/pounds  and time.
        Regards
        Janet in NZ
      • Alex
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 24, 2011
          Hi Janet,
          No, I don't have ay family connections with the Allan family.
          My interest is Peterhead shipmasters and the information I posted is extracted from my book "Peterhead Shipmasters" which was published earlier this year by the local family history society based in Peterhead.
          Hope it was of some interest to you
          Alex Ritchie