Buchan and Young

  • Debbie
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2011
      Hi. I am looking for any information about my ggg grandparents.

      Barbara Buchan born April 9, 1867 in Peterhead. Died 1903. Her parents were Andrew Buchan born abt 1831 in Peterhead and Barbara Davidson born in 1834 in Peterhead.

      James Baird Young born December 24, 1867 in Ayrshire. Died November 20, 1928 in Newton Mearns. His father was James Young born 1829 in Alloa, Clackmannan. His mother was Margaret Baird born 1830 in Lecropt.

      Barbara Buchan and James Baird Young married. I do not know where or when. I do know that Andrew Buchan and Barbara Davidson had 6 children, the oldest being born in 1859 in Peterhead.

      I would love to hear anything about the Buchans and the Davidsons.

      thanks,
      Debbie
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2011

        Hi Debbie,

        > Barbara Buchan born April 9, 1867 in Peterhead. Died 1903. Her parents were Andrew Buchan born abt 1831 in Peterhead and Barbara Davidson born in 1834 in Peterhead.
        Peterhead 1867 Births

        No.109, Barbara Buchan, born 1867 April, Ninth 1h AM at Buchanhaven, female, parents: Andrew Buchan, Salmonfisher and Barbara Buchan ms Davidson, married 1857 February 12th Peterhead, informant: Andrew Buchan, Father Present.

        Peterhead 1857 Marriages

        No.10, 12/02/1857, Andrew Buchan (signed), age 25, Usual Res: Invernettie, Labourer, Bachelor, parents: James Buchan, Labourer (deceased) and Jean Buchan ms Fraser, married to: Barbara Davidson (signed), age 23, UR: Buchanhaven, Spinster, parents: George Davidson, Crofter (deceased) and Margaret Davidson ms Smart. Witnesses: Alexander Davidson and William Davidson.

        Peterhead 1841 Census

        District 5, Page 1, Buchanhaven

        George Davidson, age 40, occ: Sp. ?, born in County: Yes

        Margaret Davidson, age 36, yes

        Alexander Davidson, age 14, yes

        Margaret Davidson, age 12, yes

        George Davidson, age 9, yes

        Barbara Davidson, age 7, yes

        William Davidson, age 5, yes

        John Davidson, age 3, yes

        Peterhead 1851 Census

        District 14, page 2, No.3, Buchanhaven

        Alexander Davidson, Head, Unmar, age 22, Crofter of 6 Acres, born Peterhead

        Margaret Davidson, Mother, Wid, age 47, born Peterhead

        George Davidson, Brother, unmar, age 19, Carter, born Peterhead

        John Davidson, .Brother, age 14, born Peterhead_,_.

        Amelia Davidson, Sister, age 8, Scholar, born Peterhead

        David Davidson, Brother, age 5, Scholar, born Peterhead

        Jane Davidson, Daughter, age 2, born Peterhead

        Peterhead Old Kirkyard Lair E152, E153 & E154

        E152 Davidson – Carter

        22/11/1848, George Davidson, age 51, Buchanhaven

        24/07/1876, Margaret Davidson, age 7, Springhill

        2/12/1887, Emily Davidson, age 5 ½, North Street

        23/05/1899, Margaret Davidson, age 19, Merchant St

        18/08/1906, George Davidson, age 3 weeks, Merchant Street

        E153 Davidson – Carter

        4/03/1865, William Davidson

        17/02/1869, Margaret Davidson, age 69, Buchanhaven

        31/10/1873, David Davidson, age 5, Buchanhaven

        19/02/1879, Jane Baird or Davidson, age 47, Buchanhaven

        14/04/1887, Alex Davidson, age 60, Buchanhaven,

        18/06/1891, Robert W. Grant, age 3 ½, North Street

        E154 Davidson – Carter

        5/02/1876, Jane Davidson or Wallace, age 27, Buchanhaven

        4/11/1953, Catherine Davidson, age 82, Powie Place, Aberdeen

        Headstone Inscription:

        Erected by Alexander Davidson, farmer

        Buchanhaven in memory of his father

        George Davidson died 22nd Nov 1848

        aged 51 years also his mother Margaret

        Smart died 16th Feb 1869 aged 69 years

        also his children Charles died 9th March

        1855 in infancy William died 3rd March

        1865 aged 3 months David died 29th Oct

        1873 aged 5 years also of his wife Jane

        Baird who died 15th Feb 1879 aged 47

        years Deeply Regretted also the said

        Alexander Davidson who died 11th April

        1887 aged 60 years also their daughter

        Catherine Davidson died 2nd Nov 1953

        aged 81 years

        Peterhead Deaths 1869

        No.24,  Margaret Davidson, Widow of George Davidson, Vinter, died 16/02/1869 9h 30m AM at Buchanhaven, female, age 79 years, parents: John Smart, Soldier (dead) and Janet Smart ms Clark (dead), cause: pneumonia, six weeks, informant: Alexander Davidson, son, present, occupier.

        Peterhead Deaths 1876

        No.14, Jane Wallace, b 1849, father George Davidson, mother maiden name: Smart (don’t have copy or transcription, only indexed)

        Peterhead Deaths 1887

        No.64, Alexander Davidson, Farmer, Widow of Jane Baird, died 1887 April Eleventh 2h 30m AM at Buchanhaven, Peterhead, male, age 60 years, parents: George Davidson, Farmer (deceased) and Margaret Davidson ms Smart (deceased), cause: Epitheliomia? of Throat, 1 year, informant: Alexander Davidson, Son (present).

        Peterhead Deaths 1915

        No.24, William Baird Davidson, Labourer (Married to Jessie Jaffray), died 1915 January Twentysixth Noon, at 1 Threadneedle Street, Peterhead, male, age 79 years, parents: George Davidson, Innkeeper (deceased) and Margaret Davidson ms Smart (deceased), cause: Epithelioma left hand 1 year 3 months, informant: Jane Baird, Daughter (present) 8 North Street, Peterhead.

        Peterhead Marriages 1865

        No.25, 18/04/1865, George Davidson, farm servant (Bachelor), age 30, UR: Buchanhaven, parents: George Davdson, Vinter (dead) and Margaret Davidson ms Smart, married to Barabara Baird (Spinster), age 20, UR: Buchanhaven, parents: William Baird, labourer and Jean Baird ms Buchan. Witnesses: Abe? Stewart and William Davidson.

        Peterhead Marriages 1869

        No.57, 5/12/1869, The Manse, John Davidson (signed his x mark), farmer-servant, Widow of Elizabeth Lyon, age 30, UR: Buchanhaven, parents: George Davidson, Vinter (dead) and Margaret Davidson ms Smart (dead), married to Elizabeth Hastie (signed her x mark), (Spinster), age 24, UR: Buchanhaven, parents: James Hastie, Crofter and Jane Hastie ms Finnie. Witnesses: Alexander Davidson and William Baird.

        > I do know that Andrew Buchan and Barbara Davidson had 6 children, the oldest being born in 1859 in Peterhead.

        Peterhead 1896 Marriages

        No.12, 20/02/1896 Laings Hotel Peterhead, Alexander D. Buchan (signed), Cooper (Bachelor), age 37, UR: 1 Gladstone Road, Peterhead, parents: Andrew Buchan, Salmon Fisher and Barbara Buchan ms Davidson, married to Mary Milne Knight (signed) (Spinster), age 26, UR: 3 Ugie Street, Peterhead, parents: Alexander knight, Slater (deceased) and Margaret Leslie  formerly Knight ms Frsaer. Witnesses: John D. Buchan and Alexander Knight.

        Regards,

        Wade.

      • Debbie
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 2, 2011
          Hello Wade,
          Thank you so much for the information. It is exactly what I needed.
          Thanks
          Debbie in the Great White North