Rankin Massie Martin

  • ozzylena
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 29, 2011
      I am new to the Peterhead Yahoo group. I live in Australia, first generation Scottish Australian. My mother is Elizabeth Lindsay Ritchie (b1938)(nee Martin), daughter of Thomas Rankin Martin (b 1894) and Elizabeth Lindsay Masson (b 1918). My Grandfather Tom Rankin Martin was named after a Tom Rankin and I have been trying to find the link between the Martin's and Rankins. The connection I have found so far is my GGF George David Martin's (b 1845)sister Elizabeth Martin (b 1836) married Capt Charles Birnie (b 1835), their Daughter Janet Birnie married a Charles Rankin and one of their 7 children was a Thomas Rankin ?born late 1800's to early 1900's. This just seems too distant a connection for my GF to be named after (or maybe not, they all appeared to live in Roanheads). My mother has a recollection of a James Rankin who was younger than my Grandfather Thomas by maybe 10 years ?born early 1900s or so who had a son named Tom who married a Barbara.

      I have managed to find a Thomas Rankin who married a Barbara Rankin in 1956, she was born approx 1938 and died 27/1/2007, they appear to have had a son Thomas (deceased) and a Daughter Jacqueline. I am wondering if this might be who my mother remembers.

      This Rankin connection is frustrating me a little and I am beginning to wonder if I have something wrong elsewhere..

      Does anyone have any Rankin links to Martin or Massie? - Mum had a lot of relatives in the Roanheads area.
    • David Massie
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 30, 2011

        > Does anyone have any Rankin links to Martin or Massie? - Mum had a lot
        > of relatives in the Roanheads area.

        I have a George Martin b 1844, marrying a Christian Massie (1847-1929),
        and having 7 children in Peterhead.

        Dave
      • ozzylena
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 30, 2011
          Hi Dave, that sounds like my great grandfather and mother. But I only have six children - George, Charles, Christina (Kirsten), Margaret (Meg), Elizabeth and my Grandfather Thomas Rankin Martin b 1894 - same family? Do you have a connection to Rankin in your tree?

          Lorraine