Duncan Kinghorn Watson

  • ross duncan
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 29, 2011
      Barbara,

      The following photgraphs were taken in 2009 when I visited Peterhead. 42 Windmill Street is where the Watsons were brought up.  The grave is the grave of my grandmothers sister.   I heard a rumour the year before I took the photograph that there was more than two bodies in the same lair.  Lilly Ann Watson/Duncan was my grandmother who later married George Kinghorn Duncan.   Lilly Ann Watson/Duncan was the daughter of Alexander  and Isabella Watson.

      Issabella (Kinghorn) Duncan/Watson was the half sister of Alexander Duncan

      Alexander Duncan was the father of my grandfather George Kinghorn Duncan

      Alexander married Susan Chisholm/Duncan

      The first body in the lair was Susan Chisholm/Duncan who died in 15th September 1908.  The scary thing was I first visited the grave almost hundred days to the day when she died.

      The gravestone does not indicate Susan Chisholm name, but have been assured that her body is in the lair

      Ross Duncan

      Thanks Wade, the death of Janet/Jessie (Kinghorn) DUNCAN proves that with her son William being the informant the one found in the USA is clearly NOT the right one and therefore the George T. DUNCAN listed is also NOT the right one.

      The fact that George isn't shown in the lair with the rest of the family indicates a couple of things:

      1.  That he did marry and possibly buried in his "wife's" family lair
      2.  That the lair was full at the time of his death and therefore he might have died after 1914
      3.  That he did leave the country prior to 1901 and only time will tell!

      Wade, do you have the lair info for the WATSON family (George's sister Isabella married Alexander WATSON) and Ross, if you know that Mary Ann married and her new surname, perhaps George is buried where she is.

      Looking at the last three children born to Alexander WATSON & Isabella (Duncan) the daughter is Mary Jane born circa 1896; George D. born circa 1898 & James Clark born circa 1900 - all names of Isabella's "missing" siblings (James not missing but ill & soon to die in 1901).  The eldest child is Alexander born circa 1893 which could be for the father or also for another brother of Isabella's.

      Thought!  Is it possible George died between the 1881 Census and the birth of brother Thomas in about 1882 which could be the reasoning of the name Thomas (not the same but close to THOMSON) and perhaps some church record might reference his death and burial?

      Another thought!  Perhaps a newspaper report for that time frame or a death notice for either of the parents, especially for the father James' death in 1884 which 'might' reference how many children survive him.

      Barbara Dawes
      Ontario, Canada

    • Alison Kennedy
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 29, 2011

        Ross

        Details of lair records for St Peter's Kirkyard and Constitution Street Cemetery, both in Peterhead, can be viewed online at www.deceasedonline.com

        Alison

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 29, 2011

          Deceasedonline.com is a pay site, right? Have you found that it’s worth the cost?

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 29, 2011

            Deceasedonline.com is a pay site, right? Have you found that it’s worth the cost?

            For me it has been worth every dollar.  I had dates of death but no idea where many of my family had ended up.  MI's are just that and while helpful don't list everyone in the lair.  I am about to buy more credits now that the St Peters old churchyard is on line.

            It is also great to be able to share with others on the list by sending what you have to Wade to post on the members page,  he is generous in looking for  us when we have a brickwall that some one else may have already knocked down.  This sure is a great group to belong to.

            Janet in NZ

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 30, 2011

              Thanks Janet,

              Many people here have been generous with sharing certificates and records, including Matt.

              Have just updated the Lair Index with an extra approx 1500 people, so check this before sending an credits.

              Birth Index also updated.

              Regards,

              Wade.

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 30, 2011

                Thanks for the info.

                I’ll be sure to send what I find to Wade…I already sent him a bunch of BMD records I had.