William Duncan

  • ross
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 29, 2011
      I received this yesterday

      The Peterhead poorhouse register of inmates lists William Duncan as having been admitted on 17th April 1932. He was 57 years and 5 months old, and is listed as an army pensioner. His last residence is given as Oakbank hospital in Glasgow. He died at 8.05 pm on the 27th of December 1933, having been a resident for one year and 255 days.

      I checked the next meeting of the public assistance committee of Aberdeen County Council who met on the 19th of January (the minutes appear with those for the general council meeting on the 24th March 1934), but there were no mentions of any people receiving assistance by name, other than applications for removal from asylums.

      The old Parish Councils were replaced after the 1929 Local Government (Scotland) Act with Public Assistance Committees. Attitudes to the relief of the poor had changed and to some extent this is indicated by the changes in the type and amount of information found about people claiming public assistance, as compared with the records of the earlier parish councils and parochial boards. If you are interested in how poor relief worked, there is more information at