Re: [Peterhead] George Thomson Duncan

  • Celtic Mist
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 28, 2011
      I am a Thomson, And Have Many George Thomson' s in our Family. I am Couroious Where Your George Thomson Duncan
      Got His Middle name. Do You Have any ideeas on this?

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 28, 2011
        Barbara,

        There has been family mystery that I unearthed last year that took everyone by surprise. My late grandfather and father both have the name George Kinghorn Duncan.  But know one knew till recently where the name Kinghorn came from, plus know one knew (or it was suspected) that my grandparents were related.

        George Kinghorn Duncan  DOB - August 1903 DOD - 1976
         Lily Ann (Watson) Duncan DOB - February 1903 DOD - 1982

        Isabella Kinghorn was born 1866 and was the illegitimate child of Gordon Carle (farm servant) and Jessie/Janet Kinghorn.
        Jessie/Janet Kinghorn married James Duncan (the following year) 1867.     Eventually Isabella Kinghorn (now Duncan) married Alexander Watson (1893) they had at least one daughter one of which was Lily Ann Watson.

        One of Isabellas half brothers Alexander Duncan married Susan Chisholm (1896). They had 3 sons, the youngest was George Kinghorn Duncan.  In 1908 Susan Chisholm died and Alexander and his three sons moved to the outskirts of Glasgow to live near his sister Mary Ann Duncan. Whilst this was happening Lilly Ann Watson was still living in 42 Windmill Street Peterhead.

        I havent yet established the facts yet but my grandfather (George Kinghorn Duncan) met up with his cousin  Lily Ann Watson and married in 1929.

        Ross Duncan

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 28, 2011
          I have know idea where the Thomson name came from

          Ross Duncan

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 28, 2011
            The informant was William Duncan (her son) she died 6th August 1889.  On the death certificate  William Duncan is classed as inmate.  He died in 1933 (90 King Street) at the time this was the Poor House.

            Ross Duncan

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 28, 2011
              Ross,

              My guess now would be that George Thomson DUNCAN probably died at a young age, but that is just an assumption based on what is known and we all know that in this hobby, we should never make assumptions;-)))

              The 1901 Census index shows that Isabella & Alexander WATSON also had a daughter Mary Jane bc1896 as noted in my previous post.

              I've seen the term "inmate" used before and it seemed to only reference that the person lived at the same address as the deceased - took me by surprise too the first time I saw it.

              I've also had an instance or two where the middle name had absolutely nothing to do with the direct lineage - just someone they thought well of.

              Please post should the puzzle get solved.

              Barbara
              Ontario, Canada
            • Vicki
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 29, 2011
                Hi,

                I George Thomson Duncan went to Detroit,he might have come through
                Canada through the Detroit Boarder Crossings to enter the USA.
                Ancestry.com has the Detroit Boarder Crossings listed. I also found
                other relatives through this information.

                Then on the other hand you might want to try PA passenger manifest also. I found relatives that came that route as well.

                I hope this is some help to you..

                Vicki