George Thomson Duncan

  • ross
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 27, 2011
      George Thomson Duncan is my Gr/Gr uncle he was born in 1874 his parents were James Duncan/Janet (Kinghorn) Duncan. I have a list of births and dates of his siblings. However I haven't established where and when George Thomson Duncan died.

      I have tried Scotlands People and been unsuccessful and tried Ellis Island and couldn't find trace either. Does anyone have a key to solve this mystery.

      Apart from my father I may be the last Duncan in the family,but I am not yet able to prove this unless I can confirm if George Thomson Duncan was married or had a family
    • Barbara Dawes
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 27, 2011
        Just to let you know what I haven't found  - no George DUNCAN that feels like he would be the right one without a lot of research, ie a William and a George DUNCAN but both shown as age 40 in the 1910 Census Detroit, Michigan, USA - the George was a Tailor, if that helps.

        I've noted that George is listed in the 1891 but not in the 1901 Census where other family members are.  Also noted that there were only two George DUNCAN's who died in Aberdeenshire born 1874 during that time, although not in Peterhead.

        If correct and Helen & Mary Ann both deceased before 1891 as well as their father - who was the informant?  Who was the informant on mother's death?

        Are Alexander and William located in 1901?  I find possible one for Alexander as a Fireman; Vessels; Shetland and a William married to a Barbara with a daughter Elsie.  Once again if either are deceased who was the informant?

        I have no personal links to this line but the surnames caught my eye as I have one "Kinghorn"  and some unrelated to the "Kinghorn" DUNCAN's mostly from pre 1840's so just couldn't resist doing a search using my Ancestry World.

        Sorry, not much help;-((

        Barbara
        Ontario, Canada
      • Barbara Dawes
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 28, 2011
          Thanks Wade, the death of Janet/Jessie (Kinghorn) DUNCAN proves that with her son William being the informant the one found in the USA is clearly NOT the right one and therefore the George T. DUNCAN listed is also NOT the right one.

          The fact that George isn't shown in the lair with the rest of the family indicates a couple of things:

          1.  That he did marry and possibly buried in his "wife's" family lair
          2.  That the lair was full at the time of his death and therefore he might have died after 1914
          3.  That he did leave the country prior to 1901 and only time will tell!

          Wade, do you have the lair info for the WATSON family (George's sister Isabella married Alexander WATSON) and Ross, if you know that Mary Ann married and her new surname, perhaps George is buried where she is.

          Looking at the last three children born to Alexander WATSON & Isabella (Duncan) the daughter is Mary Jane born circa 1896; George D. born circa 1898 & James Clark born circa 1900 - all names of Isabella's "missing" siblings (James not missing but ill & soon to die in 1901).  The eldest child is Alexander born circa 1893 which could be for the father or also for another brother of Isabella's.

          Thought!  Is it possible George died between the 1881 Census and the birth of brother Thomas in about 1882 which could be the reasoning of the name Thomas (not the same but close to THOMSON) and perhaps some church record might reference his death and burial?

          Another thought!  Perhaps a newspaper report for that time frame or a death notice for either of the parents, especially for the father James' death in 1884 which 'might' reference how many children survive him.

          Barbara Dawes
          Ontario, Canada
        • Celtic Mist
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 28, 2011
            I am a Thomson, And Have Many George Thomson' s in our Family. I am Couroious Where Your George Thomson Duncan
            Got His Middle name. Do You Have any ideeas on this?

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 28, 2011
              Barbara,

              There has been family mystery that I unearthed last year that took everyone by surprise. My late grandfather and father both have the name George Kinghorn Duncan.  But know one knew till recently where the name Kinghorn came from, plus know one knew (or it was suspected) that my grandparents were related.

              George Kinghorn Duncan  DOB - August 1903 DOD - 1976
               Lily Ann (Watson) Duncan DOB - February 1903 DOD - 1982

              Isabella Kinghorn was born 1866 and was the illegitimate child of Gordon Carle (farm servant) and Jessie/Janet Kinghorn.
              Jessie/Janet Kinghorn married James Duncan (the following year) 1867.     Eventually Isabella Kinghorn (now Duncan) married Alexander Watson (1893) they had at least one daughter one of which was Lily Ann Watson.

              One of Isabellas half brothers Alexander Duncan married Susan Chisholm (1896). They had 3 sons, the youngest was George Kinghorn Duncan.  In 1908 Susan Chisholm died and Alexander and his three sons moved to the outskirts of Glasgow to live near his sister Mary Ann Duncan. Whilst this was happening Lilly Ann Watson was still living in 42 Windmill Street Peterhead.

              I havent yet established the facts yet but my grandfather (George Kinghorn Duncan) met up with his cousin  Lily Ann Watson and married in 1929.

              Ross Duncan

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 28, 2011
                I have know idea where the Thomson name came from

                Ross Duncan

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 28, 2011
                  The informant was William Duncan (her son) she died 6th August 1889.  On the death certificate  William Duncan is classed as inmate.  He died in 1933 (90 King Street) at the time this was the Poor House.

                  Ross Duncan

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 28, 2011
                    Ross,

                    My guess now would be that George Thomson DUNCAN probably died at a young age, but that is just an assumption based on what is known and we all know that in this hobby, we should never make assumptions;-)))

                    The 1901 Census index shows that Isabella & Alexander WATSON also had a daughter Mary Jane bc1896 as noted in my previous post.

                    I've seen the term "inmate" used before and it seemed to only reference that the person lived at the same address as the deceased - took me by surprise too the first time I saw it.

                    I've also had an instance or two where the middle name had absolutely nothing to do with the direct lineage - just someone they thought well of.

                    Please post should the puzzle get solved.

                    Barbara
                    Ontario, Canada
                  • Vicki
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 29, 2011
                      Hi,

                      I George Thomson Duncan went to Detroit,he might have come through
                      Canada through the Detroit Boarder Crossings to enter the USA.
                      Ancestry.com has the Detroit Boarder Crossings listed. I also found
                      other relatives through this information.

                      Then on the other hand you might want to try PA passenger manifest also. I found relatives that came that route as well.

                      I hope this is some help to you..

                      Vicki