Re: [Peterhead] FW: Captains Murray of Peterhead

  • Colin Murray
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 23, 2011
      Hi Andrew,

      Excellent to see you pop up on here, one of my missing family links, and a relation discovered!
      I'm currently on holiday in Cyprus but I shall e-mail you direct when I get back at the end of next week, and I should be able to fill you in with most things that you are looking for.

      Regards

      Colin Murray

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 25, 2012
        I've just bought the recently published book "Dangerous Work - Diary of an Arctic Adventure". The book has a complete facsimile copy (around 200 pages) of Arthur Conan Doyle's diary during his time as ship's Doctor on the SS Hope, voyaging to the Arctic in the summer of 1880. The book also contains a complete printed transcript of the diary together with extensive notes, some photos, etc. It is also fully indexed.

        "A tremendously exciting book" is the strap line on the back, and for those with an interest in Peterhead whaling the comment is well justified. The diary has been out of sight until now but family members have made it available for publication.

        I've only just started browsing through the book. There are quite a few references to other whaling ships and whalers. For example, in Shetland Doyle encounters Captain Murray of the Windward, assesses him as a decent fellow, invites him to dinner. On the same day he observes the arrival of the Jan Mayen in Lerwick [on which my GG Grandfather Russell Watt was Fireman - he was a Boatsteerer on the Hope in 1873 and 1874].

        I'm off to read the rest of the book now!

        Ian Davidson

        --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, Colin Murray <colin.d.a.murray@...> wrote:

        > Hi Andrew,
        >
        > Excellent to see you pop up on here, one of my missing family links, and
        > a relation discovered!
        > I'm currently on holiday in Cyprus but I shall e-mail you direct when I get
        > back at the end of next week, and I should be able to fill you in with most
        > things that you are looking for.
        >
        > Regards
        >
        > Colin Murray
        >
        > On 23 July 2011 17:34, Wade Buchan <wsb@...> wrote:
        >
        > > **

      • rossduncanscot
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 25, 2012

          Sent from Samsung Mobile

          IAN <Vanitha.Davidson@...> wrote:

          I've just bought the recently published book "Dangerous Work - Diary of an Arctic Adventure". The book has a complete facsimile copy (around 200 pages) of Arthur Conan Doyle's diary during his time as ship's Doctor on the SS Hope, voyaging to the Arctic in the summer of 1880. The book also contains a complete printed transcript of the diary together with extensive notes, some photos, etc. It is also fully indexed.

          "A tremendously exciting book" is the strap line on the back, and for those with an interest in Peterhead whaling the comment is well justified. The diary has been out of sight until now but family members have made it available for publication.

          I've only just started browsing through the book. There are quite a few references to other whaling ships and whalers. For example, in Shetland Doyle encounters Captain Murray of the Windward, assesses him as a decent fellow, invites him to dinner. On the same day he observes the arrival of the Jan Mayen in Lerwick [on which my GG Grandfather Russell Watt was Fireman - he was a Boatsteerer on the Hope in 1873 and 1874].

          I'm off to read the rest of the book now!

          Ian Davidson

          --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, Colin Murray <colin.d.a.murray@...> wrote:

          > Hi Andrew,
          >
          > Excellent to see you pop up on here, one of my missing family links, and
          > a relation discovered!
          > I'm currently on holiday in Cyprus but I shall e-mail you direct when I get
          > back at the end of next week, and I should be able to fill you in with most
          > things that you are looking for.
          >
          > Regards
          >
          > Colin Murray
          >
          > On 23 July 2011 17:34, Wade Buchan <wsb@...> wrote:
          >
          > > **

        • rossduncanscot
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 25, 2012
            My great grand father Alexander Duncan was who was whaler from Peterhead and part of William Spiers Bruce expitation to Antarctica.  He was a firemen/stoker.  1902 1905

            Sent from Samsung Mobile

            rossduncanscot <rossduncanscot@...> wrote:

            Sent from Samsung Mobile

          • Colin Murray
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 27, 2012
              Thanks for flagging the publication up Ian, Its a book that I had hoped would be published sometime so got straight on the net and ordered it, my copy has just turned up so something for the dark evenings.
              Just plowing my way through the newspapers that have been released through the findmypast.co.uk site, and as you would expect it is time consuming and a little frustrating. Have found the entry for the death / obituary of Captain Alex. Murray (1828-1894) from the Aberdeen Journal dated Wednesday 01 August 1894 but frustratingly it appears to be cross referenced to the wrong page so all I have so far is the precis from the search engine:
              Captain Alexander Murray was a, native of Peterhead, and entered his profession at the age of twelve years, serving hia apprenticeship on board the Reliance. After a service of eight years in thc Southern seas, young Murray in 1860 became one of..........

              I've downloaded the whole paper so its just a case of trawling through the fine print now.

              Colin
            • Alison Kennedy
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 27, 2012
                Colin (or for anyone else that is interested in the subject)

                The full article from the Aberdeen Journal, dated 1 August 1894, page 5, col. 4, reads as follows:

                "An old Peterhead captain has just been taken from our midst.  Captain Alexander Murray was a native of Peterhead, and entered his profession at the age of twelve years, serving his apprenticeship on board the Reliance.  After a service of eight years in the Southern seas, young Murray in 1850 became one of the crew under Sir John Ross which set out in search of the missing Franklin expedition.  After his return Mr Murray tried the whale fishing, and through perseverance and energy he gradually gained promotion, until 28 years ago he got command of the whaler Alert of Peterhead.  After a voyage or two with her he took command of various other vessels, and his last whaling command was the Perseverance about six years ago, although three years ago he went out with the Alert to Cumberland Gulf with stores for Mr Noble, and brought home produce.  Captain Murray was well respected, and considered a skilful navigator, and his death at the age of 64 years has been much regretted."

                Regards.

                Alison

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 28, 2012
                  Thank you very much for that Alison,

                  Think I must have gone word blind I've got the Aberdeen Journal, dated 1 August 1894, page 5, col. 4 (pdf file) in front of me and I still can't see the article, it starts with 'A chapter of tradgedies' and ends with 'Election News' and nothing in between about Alex. Murray, so guess its magnifying glass time again then.

                  Thanks again Alison
                • Alison Kennedy
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 28, 2012
                    Colin

                    There were a several versions of the Aberdeen Journal printed and I might be looking at a slightly different version to the one you are looking at, as my source is Gale Newspapers as opposed to FindMyPast which I take it you have used, and this might explain why its appearing on page 5, col 4 in my edition and not yours!  Can you see a column somewhere headed "Aberdeen District Gossip" if so scroll down until you see a sub-heading "Buchan" and you should (hopefully) see the article.

                    Hope this helps.

                    Alison

                    Think I must have gone word blind I've got the Aberdeen Journal, dated 1 August 1894, page 5, col. 4 (pdf file) in front of me and I still can't see the article, it starts with 'A chapter of tradgedies' and ends with 'Election News' and nothing in between about Alex. Murray, so guess its magnifying glass time again then.

                    Thanks again Alison

                    _
                  • Colin Murray
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 28, 2012
                      Thanks for the gen Alison.

                      I've looked through most of the paper now and as far as I can see there is no "Aberdeen District Gossip" anywhere, nearest to that is "District News" so looks like FindMyPast/The British Library Board have got the right paper but cross linked the search to the wrong edition, i'll have to contact them about it. I'll have a look at the Gale Newspapers site, notice that appears to be in association with the British Library Board as well.

                      Colin