Re: John DAVIDSON (1792-1872)

  • Dulcie Innes
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 6, 1999
      I thought the following short biography of John DAVIDSON, born 1792 at Cruden, near Peterhead might be of interest to people on the list. I found it today in the "Macdonald Dictionary of Canterbury Biographies", Canterbury Museum, New Zealand.

      John DAVIDSON was a ships carpenter by trade and a man of superior intelligence. He followed the sea for 40 years and had never been castaway, nor had to abandon his ship. He was pressed into the Royal Navy in his youth and helped to capture a French vessel off the coast of Peru and received a bayonet thrust in his leg while boarding her. He obtained his discharge and later sailed in merchant ships. In a trading vessel off the East Coast of Africa the crew were attacked by yellow fever and he was the only survivor capable of navigating and he brought her safety into the Port of London. He had escapes from an earthquake in the West Indies and from pirates off Mauritius. After he settled in Canterbury he became station carpenter at Glenmark until he was too old to work. He retained a clear memory into his old age. He died at Amberley, Canterbury, NZ on 16 August 1872, aged eighty.

      I am sure several novels could be written from the above biography.

      Dulcie Innes
      Christchurch, NZ