James Sim and Joan McKenzie

  • margaretmgeddes@btinternet.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 19, 2011
      Hi

      I am researching my husband's family tree. I would like more information on John Sim, who was a Mason and married an Isabella Whyte. I understand he worked for the council. Is this correct?

      Margaret
    • Barbara Dawes
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 19, 2011
        Hi Margaret,

        The following kind of summarizes the data I have on John SIM

        John SIM:  Born 27 April 1862 Peterhead (Cairntrodlie);
                            Died Dec 31, 1939 Peterhead (4 Constitution St.)

        John was found in the 1871 census at Cairntrodlie in Peterhead, Aberdeenshire as a Scholar.  He is listed at home in the 1881 census at 1 Cairntrodlie in Peterhead as a mason age 18.  At the time of his marriage in 1884 he has a residence at 7 Cairntrodlie in Peterhead and occupation of Mason.  Son Andrew's birth registration shows the family is at 17 King St. in Peterhead.  In the 1891 census he is at 1 Hanover St. in Peterhead and listed in the household is Robert Whyte age 22 born Aberdour, Mason.  The 1901 census he is at 63 Kirk St. in Peterhead listed as a Mason Builder Dresser.  On daughter Bella's birth in 1903 his occupation is given as Mason (Journeyman) and in 1906 on son William's birth his occupation is given as Foreman Mason.  His death registration gives his occupation as Retired Mason.

        Isabella WHYTE: Born 03 November 1864 Aberdour, Aberdeenshire (Little Byth);
                            Died July 13, 1946 Peterhead (The Cottage Hospital)

        At the time of her marriage in 1884 Isabella had a residence at Tolbooth Wynd in Peterhead, Aberdeenshire with an occupation of Domestic Servant.  Isabella was found in the 1891 census at 1 Hanover St. in Peterhead and the 1901 census she is with her husband at 63 Kirk St. in Peterhead.  Her residence at the time of her death in 1946 was at 4 Constitution St. in Peterhead as was her Son-in-law P. Geddes who was the informant.

        Tombstone in Peterhead says died July 17, 1946 aged 81 - perhaps this should be the burial date.

        My connection is going back through the SIM's to the ROBB's originating in St. Fergus area of Banffshire.

        Barbara

      • Margaret Geddes
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 19, 2011
          Hi Barbara

          My husband is a direct descendant of John Sim and Isabella Whyte. John and Isabella had a daughter Edith who married Peter Geddes. Peter and Edith were my husbands paternal grandparents. I was given a family tree for Edith Sim back to Palaermo Italy and now in the process of research on John Sim's side and Peter Geddes' side. If you have any information on Peter I would also be very grateful. Peter was born in Lossiemouth 1893 and married Edith Sim in 1921. Peter was an insurance agent and Edith worked in a shop. He had a connection with Peterhead football club I am told but don't know any more.

          Thanks Margaret

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 19, 2011
            Hi Margaret,

            Peter is shown as the "Natural son of Jane McLeod" on his birth registration of 1893.  He is found in the 1901 census at Stotfield in Drainie, Morayshire as a Scholar listed with parents George & Jane and siblings Harry age 3 & Georgina.  At the time of his marriage in 1921 he has a residence of 16 Chapel St. in Peterhead and his occupation as an Insurance Agent.  Peter was the informant on his mother-in-law Isabella WHYTE's death.

            I haven't researched back beyond the names of the parents for Peter GEDDES as I would have no relationship to them and they wouldn't print in register reports of my lines.  As you will note his birth shows him as "the Natural son" but his marriage lists George GEDDES as his father born Peterhead.  His mother was a Domestic Servant in 1893 and born about 1869 Lossiemouth, Elginshire, Scotland.

            As for Edith SIM it is through her mother that you take her back to Italy and once again I stop my research at the "parents of the spouse".

            Barbara
          • rewarewa203
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 23, 2011
              --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "margaretmgeddes@..."
              <margaretmgeddes@...> wrote:

              > Hi
              >
              > I am researching my husband's family tree. I would like more
              information on John Sim, who was a Mason and married an Isabella Whyte.
              I understand he worked for the council. Is this correct?

              > Margaret

              Hi Margaret, These are my grandparents.... Your fatherinlaw was my
              cousin... Please feel free to email anytime, I have done the
              family Tree way back to George Whyte and Elizabeth Arthur....

              When we were in Scotland I went to the graveyard and found my
              grandparents and gt grandparents graves.I wish we had more to to
              explore the area.

              Valerie.
            • margaretmgeddes@btinternet.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 6, 2011
                Thank You very much

                Margaret

                --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Dawes" <bedawes@...> wrote:

                > Hi Margaret,
                >
                > The following kind of summarizes the data I have on John SIM
                >
                > John SIM: Born 27 April 1862 Peterhead (Cairntrodlie);
                > Died Dec 31, 1939 Peterhead (4 Constitution St.)
                >
                > John was found in the 1871 census at Cairntrodlie in Peterhead,
                > Aberdeenshire as a Scholar. He is listed at home in the 1881 census at 1
                > Cairntrodlie in Peterhead as a mason age 18. At the time of his marriage in
                > 1884 he has a residence at 7 Cairntrodlie in Peterhead and occupation of
                > Mason. Son Andrew's birth registration shows the family is at 17 King St.
                > in Peterhead. In the 1891 census he is at 1 Hanover St. in Peterhead and
                > listed in the household is Robert Whyte age 22 born Aberdour, Mason. The
                > 1901 census he is at 63 Kirk St. in Peterhead listed as a Mason Builder
                > Dresser. On daughter Bella's birth in 1903 his occupation is given as Mason
                > (Journeyman) and in 1906 on son William's birth his occupation is given as
                > Foreman Mason. His death registration gives his occupation as Retired
                > Mason.
                >
                > Isabella WHYTE: Born 03 November 1864 Aberdour, Aberdeenshire (Little Byth);
                > Died July 13, 1946 Peterhead (The Cottage Hospital)
                >
                > At the time of her marriage in 1884 Isabella had a residence at Tolbooth
                > Wynd in Peterhead, Aberdeenshire with an occupation of Domestic Servant.
                > Isabella was found in the 1891 census at 1 Hanover St. in Peterhead and the
                > 1901 census she is with her husband at 63 Kirk St. in Peterhead. Her
                > residence at the time of her death in 1946 was at 4 Constitution St. in
                > Peterhead as was her Son-in-law P. Geddes who was the informant.
                >
                > Tombstone in Peterhead says died July 17, 1946 aged 81 - perhaps this should
                > be the burial date.
                >
                > My connection is going back through the SIM's to the ROBB's originating in
                > St. Fergus area of Banffshire.
                > Barbara

              • Gweneth Myers
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 16, 2011
                  Hello Margaret
                  I have been researching my husband's lines of Campbell and McKenzie.  The Campbells came from Findotchy and the McKenzies were from around Fraserburgh.  Ann Campbell married Peter McKenzie in Peterhead in the 1850s.  This line has also a connection with the names JACK, McINTOSH and GEDDES from around the Aberdeen area.  I was wondering if any of these names are familiar within your GEDDES or McKENZIE lines?
                  Cheers
                  Gweneth Myers
                  Melbourne, Aus

                  > The following kind of summarizes the data I have on John SIM
                  >
                  > John SIM: Born 27 April 1862 Peterhead (Cairntrodlie);
                  > Died Dec 31, 1939 Peterhead (4 Constitution St.)
                  >
                  > John was found in the 1871 census at Cairntrodlie in Peterhead,
                  > Aberdeenshire as a Scholar. He is listed at home in the 1881 census at 1
                  > Cairntrodlie in Peterhead as a mason age 18. At the time of his marriage in
                  > 1884 he has a residence at 7 Cairntrodlie in Peterhead and occupation of
                  > Mason. Son Andrew's birth registration shows the family is at 17 King St.
                  > in Peterhead. In the 1891 census he is at 1 Hanover St. in Peterhead and
                  > listed in the household is Robert Whyte age 22 born Aberdour, Mason. The
                  > 1901 census he is at 63 Kirk St. in Peterhead listed as a Mason Builder
                  > Dresser. On daughter Bella's birth in 1903 his occupation is given as Mason
                  > (Journeyman) and in 1906 on son William's birth his occupation is given as
                  > Foreman Mason. His death registration gives his occupation as Retired
                  > Mason.
                  >
                  > Isabella WHYTE: Born 03 November 1864 Aberdour, Aberdeenshire (Little Byth);
                  > Died July 13, 1946 Peterhead (The Cottage Hospital)
                  >
                  > At the time of her marriage in 1884 Isabella had a residence at Tolbooth
                  > Wynd in Peterhead, Aberdeenshire with an occupation of Domestic Servant.
                  > Isabella was found in the 1891 census at 1 Hanover St. in Peterhead and the
                  > 1901 census she is with her husband at 63 Kirk St. in Peterhead. Her
                  > residence at the time of her death in 1946 was at 4 Constitution St. in
                  > Peterhead as was her Son-in-law P. Geddes who was the informant.
                  >
                  > Tombstone in Peterhead says died July 17, 1946 aged 81 - perhaps this should
                  > be the burial date.
                  >
                  > My connection is going back through the SIM's to the ROBB's originating in
                  > St. Fergus area of Banffshire.
                  > Barbara

                • Margaret Geddes
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 17, 2011
                    Hi Gweneth

                    Joan McKenzie (1830-1872) was the daughter of Ann Sangster and Murdoch McKenzie. I don't have any dates for them yet as I am still researching this side. Joan McKenzie was married to James Sim around 1850'ish. Whether she had any siblings I can't say but I will do some research over Xmas when I have some time off work.

                    The Sim line is connected to Geddes through the grandaughter of James Sim (Edith Sim) she married Peter Geddes in 1921, who is my hubands's paternal grandfather.

                    There are desendants of James Sim in New Zealand and the daughter of Peter Geddes and Edith Sim lives in Austrailia.

                    I will do a bit of digging for you and see what comes to light.

                    Good luck with you research and have a nice Xmas.

                    From: margaretmgeddes@... <margaretmgeddes@...>
                    To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com

                    Thank You very much Margaret --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara Dawes" <bedawes@...> wrote: > > Hi Margaret, > > The following kind of summarizes the data I have on John SIM > > John SIM: Born 27 April 1862 Peterhead (Cairntrodlie); > Died Dec 31, 1939 Peterhead (4 Constitution St.) > > John was found in the 1871 census at Cairntrodlie in Peterhead, > Aberdeenshire as a Scholar. He is listed at home in the 1881 census at 1 > Cairntrodlie in Peterhead as a mason age 18. At the time of his marriage in > 1884 he has a residence at 7 Cairntrodlie in Peterhead and occupation of > Mason. Son Andrew's birth registration shows the family is at 17 King St. > in Peterhead. In the 1891 census he is at 1 Hanover St. in Peterhead and > listed in the household is Robert Whyte age 22 born Aberdour, Mason. The > 1901 census he is at 63 Kirk St. in Peterhead listed as a Mason Builder > Dresser. On daughter Bella's birth in 1903 his occupation is given as Mason > (Journeyman) and in 1906 on son William's birth his occupation is given as > Foreman Mason. His death registration gives his occupation as Retired > Mason. > > Isabella WHYTE: Born 03 November 1864 Aberdour, Aberdeenshire (Little Byth); > Died July 13, 1946 Peterhead (The Cottage Hospital) > > At the time of her marriage in 1884 Isabella had a residence at Tolbooth > Wynd in Peterhead, Aberdeenshire with an occupation of Domestic Servant. > Isabella was found in the 1891 census at 1 Hanover St. in Peterhead and the > 1901 census she is with her husband at 63 Kirk St. in Peterhead. Her > residence at the time of her death in 1946 was at 4 Constitution St. in > Peterhead as was her Son-in-law P. Geddes who was the informant. > > Tombstone in Peterhead says died July 17, 1946 aged 81 - perhaps this should > be the burial date. > > My connection is going back through the SIM's to the ROBB's originating in > St. Fergus area of Banffshire. > Barbara >