RE: William Shand & Jean Lawrence: Residents of Peterhead, Buried in Cruden

  • Jon Wicken
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 4, 2011

      Hi Wade,

      Thanks for these posts.

      I have now happily found the burial of William Shand in his home parish of Cruden in 1842.

      It reads; 'Decr. 5 Wm Shand of Peterhead late tenant in Hardhill Cruden at the head of the Cruickshank's stone of (?) Bulklay grave next the walk. 6 feet deep'.

      His wife Jean Lawrence was buried in the same grave ten years later in 1852: 'Aug 19. Jean Laurence a widow Shand from Phd at the head of the Bulklays stone in the grave Next the walk 4 feet Deep'.

      I am very pleased to have finally tracked them down after all these years. I should have looked at Cruden sooner but never thought they would have been taken back there for burial. Presumably this means they were not as hard up as I thought they were, or was this quite common to be taken back to your parish for burial?

      I am not sure what the Bulklays stone is. Presumably a family monument to the Bulklay family? Or does Bulklay mean something in Scotland?

      I attach the burials just in case you want to update any of the Peterhead records.

      Kind regards,

      Jon

      >However the burials of farmer/agricultural labourer William Shand and Jane Laurence haven't turned up either, so where could they have been buried? Any ideas?

      Have you looked on https://www.deceasedonline.com/servlet/GSDOSearch?MenuSubmit=home ?

    • Margie
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 5, 2011
        It might not be Bucklay but Buthlay - a very
        common name in the Cruden/Slains parishes,

        Margie