RE: BROWN, REID & SHAND families of Peterhead

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 4, 2011

      >In the Peterhead 1851 census, Alexander Brown senior and his family were living in Longgate Street. On ancestry.com it has been translated as Bruns, but as they don't have the original >images to view I have no idea if this is how it appears in the original census or if it is a transcription error.

      I transcribed the following when I indexed this years ago (didn’t transcribe condition or occupations columns).

      District 9, page 5, No.28, Longate Street

      Alexander Burn, Head, age 66 born Fraserburgh

      Isabella Burn, Wife, age 68, born Strichen

      Alexander Burn, Son, age 28, born Peterhead

      Janet Shand, grand-daughter, age 4, born Peterhead

      Therefore same information you already have.

      Have you looked on https://www.deceasedonline.com/servlet/GSDOSearch?MenuSubmit=home ?

      >As their youngest son George Shand born in 1832 seems to disappear from Peterhead, I wonder if widow Jane could perhaps have left the area with him. But William Shand must have >died in Peterhead between 1841-1851. Were there many burial grounds/cemeteries in Peterhead at that time?
      Only Peterhead Old Kirkyard also known as St.Peter’s at that time. Constitution Street Cemetery started about 1869

      Regards,

      Wade.