Re: ISABELLA BROWN/SHAND/NICOL 1840-1882

  • Jonny
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 26, 2011
      Hi Mary,

      Thanks for your reply to my post.

      Isabella Brown/Shand/Nicol in fact married into the Nicol family of Old Machar, Aberdeenshire, so the link to your Matthew Nicol is perhaps unlikely.

      Her baptism entry in Peterhead reads:

      'Elizabeth Brown, an un-married woman, lately in Fraserburgh, broght forth a child 20 May 1840 which was bap. named Isabella before James and Alexander Brown 3 June 1840'

      However the ancestry.com transcription of the 1841 census gives her name as Isabella Allan. I am not sure if this is a transcription error, or if perhaps her birth father had the surname Allan.

      She moved to the London area with her mother Elizabeth Brown/Shand and stepfather Thomas Shand, whose name she took following their marriage in 1844, between 1851 and 1854.

      There in Hampstead, Middlesex (now London), on 25 April 1867, she married William Nicol, a ship carpenter/shipwright.

      William was born in 1837 in Old Machar to James Nicol (1800-1886) and Margaret Proctor.

      William and Isabella Nicol had five children, with the second daughter Frances Harriet being born in Old Machar in 1879, so for a time the family moved to and lived in Scotland.

      However after the birth they returned to the London area where Isabella Nicol died in 1882 of Phthisis.

      As her husband went away to sea, after her death her five children were separated between family members in Old Machar and London, so they did not grow up together.

      So I don't know if the Old Machar Nicols could be related to the Peterhead Nicols, but this is how she came to marry into A Nicol family.

      Kind regards,
      Jon

      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, marysb@... wrote:

      > Hello Jon,
      >
      > One of the people you mention in your email, Isabella Brown/Shand/Nicol,
      > has awakened my curiosity. I have been researching the family of Matthew
      > Nicol (1811-1877), seaman and shipmaster of Peterhead, and I am wondering
      > where the Nicol in Isabella's name came from, and whether she might be related.
      >

      > From your email, it looks as though she was the daughter of Elizabeth Brown
      > and Thomas Shand, so I am guessing that she married a Nicol. I have extensive
      > information about Matthew Nicol's family, but I also know that there were
      > other, unrelated Nicols in Peterhead at the time. I have a number of Isabellas
      > who married into the Nicol family, but none fit the dates you give. Can you
      > supply any further details?
      >
      > Mary Barnes
      >

      > >ELIZABETH BROWN who married THOMAS SHAND of Cruden in Peterhead in 1844.
      > >However I can't find a baptism for her but the census indicates she was
      > born
      > >in Peterhead about 1818-1821.
      > >
      > >Given Alexander and Isabella's ages it would seem probable they had elder
      > >children but I guess this could have taken place in Fraserburgh or Strichen.
      > >Isabella could even have perhaps been married before.
      > >
      > >I know from the 1840 baptism of their illegitimate granddaughter (ISABELLA
      > >BROWN/SHAND/NICOL 1840-1882, daughter of the above Elizabeth Brown before
      > >her 1844 marriage), that their daughter had come from Fraserburgh prior
      > >the baptism, so perhaps she was sent off to Alexander's family there for
      > >her pregnancy.

    • Jonny
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 30, 2011
        Dear Wade,

        Thank you so very much for your reply a few days ago regarding the Brown, Reid and Shand families. You went to a great deal of effort following my post and I am so very grateful to you so doing so. Apologies for the delay in replying but I have been digesting all this information.

        I was particularly interested in those burial and gravestone records you sent me. It's interesting that the family of John Brown's wife purchased two burial plots and that they were interred within them, along with his brother Alexander. By contrast, it would seem that their sister Elizabeth Brown/Shand and her family were all buried in communal graves in London.

        The suicide of William Shand was sad yet interesting to read. I would assume that in the newspapers of the time (if there was a local newspaper in Peterhead then) that it might have been reported so this is something to pursue once I finally get to visit Peterhead - something I have been planning to do for nearly fifteen years!

        In the Peterhead 1851 census, Alexander Brown senior and his family were living in Longgate Street. On ancestry.com it has been translated as Bruns, but as they don't have the original images to view I have no idea if this is how it appears in the original census or if it is a transcription error.

        Alexander Brown is with his wife Isabella, son Alexander Brown and also his granddaughter Jane Shand. The Shand family had moved to Aberdeen by this time so I wonder if she stayed in Peterhead living with her grandparents, or was just visiting or staying with them.

        Alexander Brown is listed as being born in Fraserburgh with a birth year from his age as about 1787. I therefore assume his baptism is the Alexander Brown baptised on 7 June 1788 as the son of James Brown. I have yet to do much more investigating on this side of the family.

        His wife Isabella Brown is shown as being born in Strichen with a birth of about about 1783 in Strichen. She would therefore appear to be the Isabel Reid baptised there on 8 February 1782, daughter of James Reid and Elizabeth Rainie/Renny.

        Again I have yet to do much more digging on this, other than the fact her parents married at Pitsligo on 23 November 1779. I have not seen the marriage to see the parishes they resided in, but as this was 150 miles away from Fraserburgh I assume both of them was from over that way and they moved shortly after their marriage.

        What I would really like to try and find out is the death date of Alexander Brown between 1851 and 1861, and where that took place. This is difficult as I don't know if he died in Peterhead or in the London area.

        However the burials of farmer/agricultural labourer William Shand and Jane Laurence haven't turned up either, so where could they have been buried? Any ideas?

        As their youngest son George Shand born in 1832 seems to disappear from Peterhead, I wonder if widow Jane could perhaps have left the area with him. But William Shand must have died in Peterhead between 1841-1851. Were there many burial grounds/cemeteries in Peterhead at that time?

        Anyway thanks again for all your help on these families and for sending me those files. It was an amazing email to receive and I really am most grateful.

        With thanks and kind regards,
        Jon

        --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Wade Buchan" <wsb@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > marriage itself. Banns usually read in both groom and bride's parishes (if
        > they could afford it).
        >

        > >Does anyone perhaps please have access to the registers for Cruden and
        > Peterhead to see the parishes of the bride and groom from their marriages
        > there on 11 and 15 June 1814? I don't think there would have been witnesses
        > at that time.
        > Peterhead OPR Marriages 1814 (page 387):
        >
        > June 25th William Shand Farmer, in Cruden and Jean Lawrence in Peterhead.
        >

        > Peterhead Deaths 1879 No.110
        >
        > William Shand Labourer (Married to Margaret Fraser), died 1879 April Fifth
        > Between 9h AM and 5h 30m PM In the River Ugie Parish of Peterhead
        > (Constitution Street), male, age 62 years, parents: William Shand, Farmer
        > (deceased) and Jane Shand ms Lawrance (deceased), cause: Drowning (Supposed
        > Suicide), informant: Ann Stewart, Sister (not present), 7 Constitution
        > Street.
        >

        > Register of Corrected Entries:
        >
        > When and where died: 5th April 1879 found in the River Ugie at a spot about
        > 150 yards above the Bridge of Inverugie, in the Parish of Peterhead. Cause
        > of death Suicide by drowning himself.
        >

        > Buried Peterhead Constitution Street Cemetery Lair I29
        >
        > Headstone Inscription (source Peterhead Constitution Street Memorial
        > Inscriptions CD, compiled by Mary Robertson of Peterhead 2009, available
        > from Family History Society of Buchan).
        >
        > Erected, In memory of, William Shand, Who died 5th April 1879, Age 65 years,
        > Also of his wife, Margaret Fraser, Who died 17th Dec 1892, Age 73 years,
        > Also of William Shand plasterer, Son of the above, Who died 11th April 1920
        > age 69 years, Also of his wife, Elizabeth Gordon, Who died 26th Oct 1923 age
        > 70 years, In loving memory of Christina, Daughter of William Shand
        > plasterer, Who died 24th July 1917 age 24 years, Also her son, Frederick
        > Gordon 2nd Lieut. R.F.A., Who died of wounds in France, 11th Oct 1918, And
        > was buried Duisans, Military cemetery near Arras, Age 27 years, And his
        > daughter Elizabeth, Who died 12th July 1952 age 70 years
        >

        > I have the Mortality record page for William Shand in Constitution Street,
        > I'll send along with certificates in a separate email.
        >
        > If you go to <https://www.deceasedonline.com/servlet/GSDOSearch>
        > https://www.deceasedonline.com/servlet/GSDOSearch you can check who else
        > might be buried in the same Lair, may have others not mentioned on the
        > headstone. Deceasedonline website has both Peterhead Old Kirkyard and
        > Constitution Street Cemeteries Indexed. If you obtain any pages, I would
        > appreciate copies for indexing.
        >

        > Lair I28
        >
        > Headstone Inscription (source CD above)
        >
        > Scroll in front of Lair I27 - Erected by Ann Shand, In memory of her
        > husband, James Stewart, gardener, Who died 7th January 1894 age 73 years,
        > Also his son Alick, Died 3rd May 1856 age 10 months, The above Ann Shand,
        > Who died 3rd June 1898, In her 79th year.

      • Alison Kennedy
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 3, 2011
          Hi there

          The following is the newspaper article concerning William Shand's death taken from the East Aberdeenshire Observer, dated Friday, April 11, 1879:

          DEATH BY DROWNING – On Saturday evening, the body of a man was seen floating in the river Ugie, about 150 yards above Inverugie old bridge, and nearly opposite the house of Balmoor.  Its downward course was prevented by the points of some rock which was barely covered by the water.  Information of the circumstance was brought to town and Serjeant Morrison with the assistance of others repaired to the spot.  After much difficulty they succeeded in getting at the body, which was about twenty feet from the bank, and in 8 feet of water.  A ladder was procured and pushed out to the rock, upon which one of the men, Francis Cumming crawled out, but it gave way in the middle and he was precipitated into the river.  Being an excellent swimmer however, he succeeded in keeping himself afloat, and tied a rope to the body which was dragged ashore; and then Cumming swam to the bank.  The body was identified as that of William Shand, house proprietor, Constitution Street, who left his home during that morning for the purpose of a walk, as he had not been in good health for some time.  He did not return at the usual time, and much anxiety was felt regarding him until the discovery of the body in the river.  Mr Shand was long in the employment of Mr Henderson, who had charge of works under the Corporation.

          Hope this helps.

          Alison

> [...]

          > I have the Mortality record page for William Shand in Constitution Street,
          > I'll send along with certificates in a separate email.
          >
          > If you go to <https://www.deceasedonline.com/servlet/GSDOSearch>
          > https://www.deceasedonline.com/servlet/GSDOSearch you can check who else
          > might be buried in the same Lair, may have others not mentioned on the
          > headstone. Deceasedonline website has both Peterhead Old Kirkyard and
          > Constitution Street Cemeteries Indexed. If you obtain any pages, I would
          > appreciate copies for indexing.
          >

          > Lair I28
          >
          > Headstone Inscription (source CD above)
          >
          > Scroll in front of Lair I27 - Erected by Ann Shand, In memory of her
          > husband, James Stewart, gardener, Who died 7th January 1894 age 73 years,
          > Also his son Alick, Died 3rd May 1856 age 10 months, The above Ann Shand,
          > Who died 3rd June 1898, In her 79th year.

        • Jonny
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 3, 2011
            Thank you very much for posting this Alison. I assume the inquest brought up further details regarding his state of mind leading to the verdict of supposed suicide.

            William's younger brother Thomas Shand (1821-1895), my ancestor who left Scotland for England in 1851-1854, worked in the Surrey Docks as a shipwright. His death also led to an inquest, but unfortunately the inquest papers do not survive and it does not appear to have been reported in the press. Probably there were many accidents and deaths in the docks it did not warrant attention.

            His 1895 death certificate however records that the cause of death was due to a 'violent fractured skull and other injuries caused by falling down the hatchway between decks of the SS Birkhall, but how he arrived to fall the evidence fails to prove'. It sounds as if he may have been pushed, but of course we will never know.

            Their father William Shand (c1795/6-1841/51), whose baptism and burial have not turned up, was of Cruden at his marriage to Jean Lawrence in June 1814 at Peterhead and he is stated to have been a farmer.

            However by the 1841 census he was an agricultural labourer in Peterhead. Are farmer and agricultural labourer interchangeable words? Farmer to me sounds like he could have had his own farm, but the latter shows he was an employee. I just wonder if he could have had his own farm in Cruden but something went wrong and he had to leave for work in Peterhead.

            It is known he was still in Cruden in 1832 as his youngest known child George was baptised there, but nine years later he had moved. I just wonder why he might have done so.

            Kind regards,
            Jon

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 4, 2011

              >In the Peterhead 1851 census, Alexander Brown senior and his family were living in Longgate Street. On ancestry.com it has been translated as Bruns, but as they don't have the original >images to view I have no idea if this is how it appears in the original census or if it is a transcription error.

              I transcribed the following when I indexed this years ago (didn’t transcribe condition or occupations columns).

              District 9, page 5, No.28, Longate Street

              Alexander Burn, Head, age 66 born Fraserburgh

              Isabella Burn, Wife, age 68, born Strichen

              Alexander Burn, Son, age 28, born Peterhead

              Janet Shand, grand-daughter, age 4, born Peterhead

              Therefore same information you already have.

              Have you looked on https://www.deceasedonline.com/servlet/GSDOSearch?MenuSubmit=home ?

              >As their youngest son George Shand born in 1832 seems to disappear from Peterhead, I wonder if widow Jane could perhaps have left the area with him. But William Shand must have >died in Peterhead between 1841-1851. Were there many burial grounds/cemeteries in Peterhead at that time?
              Only Peterhead Old Kirkyard also known as St.Peter’s at that time. Constitution Street Cemetery started about 1869

              Regards,

              Wade.