Re: Alexander Davidson

  • Alex
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 22, 2011
      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, marysb@... wrote:

      > Hi Alex,
      >
      > Can you or anyone else confirm whether the Alert that Alexander Davidson
      > was skipper of was the same as the Alert on which so many Peterhead seamen
      > suffered and died during the disastrous whaling expedition of 1860-61, or
      > was it maybe a successor?
      >
      > According to Fiona Riddell's research (see her book "Mony a Sair Hairt")
      > the Alert was sold by public roup in December 1861 to Mr Crawford Noble of
      > Berryhill. Is there any information about what became of her after that?
      >
      > Mary Barnes

      Hello Mary,
      It was by pure chance that I saw the photo of Alexander Davidson at Anstruther. I know no more than what was written under the picture, but it was in a section re whaling. I know Fiona had seen that picture before. I had two enquiries to my message re the photo, so more info may come to light from these sources.

      Alex
    • Alex
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 22, 2011
        --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, marysb@... wrote:

        > Hi Alex,
        >
        > Can you or anyone else confirm whether the Alert that Alexander Davidson
        > was skipper of was the same as the Alert on which so many Peterhead seamen
        > suffered and died during the disastrous whaling expedition of 1860-61, or
        > was it maybe a successor?
        >
        > According to Fiona Riddell's research (see her book "Mony a Sair Hairt")
        > the Alert was sold by public roup in December 1861 to Mr Crawford Noble of
        > Berryhill. Is there any information about what became of her after that?
        >
        > Mary Barnes

        I see that the Family History Society of Buchan has a book about shipmasters on sale. Maybe Alexander Davidson is mentioned there !