John Watson and Rachel Milne

  • speleobat68
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 12, 2011
      Hi Vicki and thanks!

      It helps to have a fresh pair of eyes look at things. I read the census notation as an abbreviation for unmarried, but you are correct in that it was widowed abbreviated. This means that the mother-in-law shown on the 1871 census was daughter Mary Watson's mother-in-law and not that of one of her parents. I have found Mary's marriage to James Cormack in 1860 so now I know what that connection was. I'm back to the beginning on who John's parents were though!

      Good hunting and thanks again!

      Carol
    • scotnel4
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 12, 2011
        --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "speleobat68" <speleobat68@...> wrote:

        > Hi Vicki and thanks!
        >
        > It helps to have a fresh pair of eyes look at things. I read the census notation as an abbreviation for unmarried, but you are correct in that it was widowed abbreviated. This means that the mother-in-law shown on the 1871 census was daughter Mary Watson's mother-in-law and not that of one of her parents. I have found Mary's marriage to James Cormack in 1860 so now I know what that connection was. I'm back to the beginning on who John's parents were though!
        >
        > Good hunting and thanks again!
        >
        > Carol

        Hi Carol,

        Fancy meeting you here! :)

        I know you will have seen John Watson in 1861 where he gives his name as John Watson Junior. This suggests to me that his father's name is John and that he is still alive.

        The John born 28th August 1814 looks tempting - one of the witnesses was a John Lowry.

        There is a marriage in 1813 between a John Watson and Mary Lawrie.

        They lived at Maiden Street not too far from your John.

        John born 1797ish at Slains died in 1885 leaving a 10 page will.

        Looks like Mary Lawrie/Watson died in 1872 at Peterhead - I suppose it would be her husband who registered her death but I wonder if it's worth 5 credits just in case...............

        Regards,
        Annette

      • speleobat68
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 12, 2011
          --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "scotnel4" <NelMit4@...> wrote:

          > --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "speleobat68" <speleobat68@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Vicki and thanks!
          > >
          > > It helps to have a fresh pair of eyes look at things. I read the census notation as an abbreviation for unmarried, but you are correct in that it was widowed abbreviated. This means that the mother-in-law shown on the 1871 census was daughter Mary Watson's mother-in-law and not that of one of her parents. I have found Mary's marriage to James Cormack in 1860 so now I know what that connection was. I'm back to the beginning on who John's parents were though!
          > >
          > > Good hunting and thanks again!
          > >
          > > Carol
          >
          > Hi Carol,
          >
          > Fancy meeting you here! :)
          >
          > I know you will have seen John Watson in 1861 where he gives his name as John Watson Junior. This suggests to me that his father's name is John and that he is still alive.
          >
          > The John born 28th August 1814 looks tempting - one of the witnesses was a John Lowry.
          >
          > There is a marriage in 1813 between a John Watson and Mary Lawrie.
          >
          > They lived at Maiden Street not too far from your John.
          >
          > John born 1797ish at Slains died in 1885 leaving a 10 page will.
          >
          > Looks like Mary Lawrie/Watson died in 1872 at Peterhead - I suppose it would be her husband who registered her death but I wonder if it's worth 5 credits just in case...............
          >
          > Regards,
          > Annette

          Hi Annette,

          Leave no stone unturned when you're trying to find relatives!

          Yes, I've seen the John Watson/Mary Lawrie marriage, but I haven't gotten around to digging into that family yet. Working on the Cormack connection kept me busy and now I have company for a few days. Wouldn't be a problem but all my files are stored in the guest room! I'll get Mary Lawrie Watson's death cert soon. John's will would be interesting to see, but might have to wait until next month. Running low on credits already--again!

          Carol