Re: Peterhead Seamen

    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 3, 1999
      Hi Judy,

      Judy Hand wrote:

      > James Buchan 114211 St. Combs
      > Alexander Bruce 114213
      > Robert Reid 114216
      > James Reid 114258
      > John Reid 114265
      > John Davidson 114270

      If it is not too late or a problem could I get these ones please.

      > I�m not trying to usurp your position, Wade, but I now can�t see the
      > name "Peterhead" without feeling I have to take all the particulars!

      Thank you for offering to look at these records for others. This was
      one of the reasons for starting this list, so that I and others could
      pass on Peterhead records and information that they find when doing
      research. The other is in the hope that people make contact with fellow
      Peterhead researchers.

      Regards, Wade.
    • Joanne Pye
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 2 6:25 PM
        Hi all,

        I have heard that there is a list of seamen at the end of the 1851 census, and was wondering if someone could tell me what information these entries include as I have no idea!

        In particular, I would be very interested and grateful if sks could tell me if the following men are listed on it.  These are:

        CHARLES MILNE    b1830 approx. Merchant Seaman.   Maybe living with a MARY SMITH (his mother) or WILLIAM MILNE (his father) but not necessarily both.

        Also:

        JOHN WEBSTER
        BENJAMIN SKINNER

        These two gentlemen were witnesses to Charles' wedding and I am hoping to find them as seamen too.  My apologies for being so vague, but I have little information on these men prior to 1851.

        Thank you so much for your understanding and I look forward to hopefully speaking to some of you soon.
        Joanne.
      • Dr. Elizabeth B. Holmes
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 28, 2002
          Lynn, Thank you for the information about the ship SS Labrador. Robert
          Ogston age 42 is in my husband's family tree. How does one get the
          information about the Peterhead Seaman-through the Mormon's Family
          History Centres?-if so-under which heading are they in cataloges?
          Betty.
        • i.l.tilbury
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 28, 2002
            For Elizabeth Holmes
            Hi Betty
            Im so glad i have been able to help ., what i have is Agreement and account
            of crew no 52
            What it says about your Robert Ogston , theres his name, then next to that
            it says his age , then Peterhead
            Then if in the reserveno of commission 45531, then it says he was last on
            the ship Tay of Dundee, 1873
            He was a fast Harpooner
            Now if you look on the net for the Hudson Bay Company Achives , contact then
            ,
            The Lady who will help you is Ann Morton , they are very helpful and tou
            will be surpriced at what you might get
            Lyn

            > Lynn, Thank you for the information about the ship SS Labrador. Robert
            > Ogston age 42 is in my husband's family tree. How does one get the
            > information about the Peterhead Seaman-through the Mormon's Family
            > History Centres?-if so-under which heading are they in cataloges?
            > Betty.
            >
            > Peterhead Genealogy at http://www.axs.com.au/~wsb/

          • joanne.pye
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 16, 2004
              Hi Wade and everyone,

              I was wondering, do you have any information on the following 2 seamen
              please?

              Shand McKINNON born approx 1818 in Peterhead. He was a ship's keeper,
              Ticket No: 34985 - BT 98/2680. I think he may have died either on board the
              COLUMBIA in 1851 or in Greenland whilst working. I think he was the son of
              John McKINNON and Isabella RIACH nee RAE.

              I realise I have asked you about Shand before but as I've been given this
              additional information, I thought I'd ask your advice. I hope you don't
              mind. Do you know where this death is likely to have been recorded?

              Also, do you have anything about James MILNE born approx 1829 Crimond,
              ticket number 129347 / BT/98/2680. I believe he was on the ships DUBLIN of
              Peterhead and ENTERPRISE of Peterhead. I'd be really grateful if you could
              tell me anything about this man as I'm hoping he is a brother to my Charles
              MILNE.

              Thank you very much for any information you can offer and thank you also for
              your time.

              Joanne
              Researching in Peterhead: MILNE, KINLOCH, McKINNON, RIACH, WALKER
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 24, 2004
                Hi Joanne,

                I guess your new information is from the Seamen's Crewlist 1851 CD by Liz Hore. I don't have any extra merchant marine information and as they were both away in Greenland whaling, they don't appear in the 1851 Census.

                Shand McKinnon died 6th April 1851 in the Greenland area whilst whaling, the comments say cause unknown. In other crew agreements I've seen, the cause is usually given for accidents eg. falling from rigging. This might suggest it was a medical condition. The other problem is the death was before civil registration, so you will not get a death certificate. The whaling boats were known to pick up extra crew in the Shetlands, so Shand could have been buried at sea, the first Port of return ie. Shetlands or somewhere else or returned to Peterhead and buried in a family plot.

                Since you know the ticket numbers for both of them, you can get the Seamen's Ticket information, which should give the date of birth and physical description. I'd also suggest checking to see if he was buried in Peterhead knowing the year and the unusual name.

              • joanne.pye
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 24, 2004
                  Hi Wade,

                  Thank you so much for your help with this, I'll certainly now try and find
                  out where he was buried. I was given the information from someone who has
                  the CD you mentioned and thank you for your suggestion of obtaining his
                  information, I'll try that too!

                  Thanks again,