Alexander Davidson

  • Alex
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 8, 2011
      On a recent visit to the Anstruther Fisheries Museum I came across a picture portrait of the above.
      The text under the picture reads

      "Captain Alexander S Davidson 1831- 1898.
      Skipper of the whaler Alert of Peterhead"

      I can send a copy by e-mail to interested people.
    • marysb@iprimus.com.au
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 22, 2011
        Hi Alex,

        Can you or anyone else confirm whether the Alert that Alexander Davidson
        was skipper of was the same as the Alert on which so many Peterhead seamen
        suffered and died during the disastrous whaling expedition of 1860-61, or
        was it maybe a successor?

        According to Fiona Riddell's research (see her book "Mony a Sair Hairt")
        the Alert was sold by public roup in December 1861 to Mr Crawford Noble of
        Berryhill. Is there any information about what became of her after that?

        Mary Barnes
      • Alex
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 22, 2011
          --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, marysb@... wrote:

          > Hi Alex,
          >
          > Can you or anyone else confirm whether the Alert that Alexander Davidson
          > was skipper of was the same as the Alert on which so many Peterhead seamen
          > suffered and died during the disastrous whaling expedition of 1860-61, or
          > was it maybe a successor?
          >
          > According to Fiona Riddell's research (see her book "Mony a Sair Hairt")
          > the Alert was sold by public roup in December 1861 to Mr Crawford Noble of
          > Berryhill. Is there any information about what became of her after that?
          >
          > Mary Barnes

          Hello Mary,
          It was by pure chance that I saw the photo of Alexander Davidson at Anstruther. I know no more than what was written under the picture, but it was in a section re whaling. I know Fiona had seen that picture before. I had two enquiries to my message re the photo, so more info may come to light from these sources.

          Alex
        • Alex
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 22, 2011
            --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, marysb@... wrote:

            > Hi Alex,
            >
            > Can you or anyone else confirm whether the Alert that Alexander Davidson
            > was skipper of was the same as the Alert on which so many Peterhead seamen
            > suffered and died during the disastrous whaling expedition of 1860-61, or
            > was it maybe a successor?
            >
            > According to Fiona Riddell's research (see her book "Mony a Sair Hairt")
            > the Alert was sold by public roup in December 1861 to Mr Crawford Noble of
            > Berryhill. Is there any information about what became of her after that?
            >
            > Mary Barnes

            I see that the Family History Society of Buchan has a book about shipmasters on sale. Maybe Alexander Davidson is mentioned there !