Re: Davidson's in Peterhead

  • D
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 5, 2011
      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "scotnel4" <NelMit4@...> wrote:

      > --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, F Ratchford <thebigknights@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi All,
      > > A number of us have been working out the various Davidson families in Peterhead, and I am delighted to add some further information that might link in with others.
      > >
      > > I've found a record that shows that an Alexander Davidson (seaman deceased) was a parent with Elspet Hutchison (deceased).  James Davidson's Death certificate of 1858, Peterhead, aged 57, gave these individuals as his parents. Hopefully these are my ancestors, but there is a lot of useful circumstantial evidence on this.  Here goes:
      > >
      > > My ancestor's Robert Davidson (seaman) married Helen Dunn in Peterhead 1825. There is a census record for Robert Davidson, seaman, born 1796 Aberdeenshire, in Longate, Peterhead.  There is a Merchant Seaman Record for Robert Davidson born 1791. There is an OPR for Alexander Davidson, Shipmaster in Peterhead, who had 3 children baptised, Robert (26 July 1791), Alexander and William. I don't know if this is my Robert.
      > >
      > > In a number of Parish Records, witnesses for the baptism of a number of Robert Davidson and Helen Dunn's children's were Peter Dunn (Helen's brother) and James Davidson, (presumably a relative of Robert).   I could find no death record for Robert, although he was still alive in 1844 for the birth of his last son (presumably) but his wife was head of the household in 1851, and was definitely dead in 1856 as recorded on a son's death certificate.
      > >
      > > As I had exhausted all other routes of finding Robert's parents, I decided to concentrate on this James.  By collecting information around this couple, I discovered that in the 1841 census, James Davidson (born 1801) was living next door to Helen Davidson (?sister-in-law), her 6 children, and 2 households away from James and Janet Lawrence. I can find no definitive births for this James Davidson.  In the 1851 census, there was a James Davidson, (born 1801 Peterhead), but there was no mention of James Davidson in 1861 census, had he possibly died? On this hunch, I found a Death Cert: March 28th 1858, 51 Longate, Peterhead, James Davidson, (aged 57) father Alexander Davidson, mother Elspet Hutchinson, witness was Janet Lawrence, neighbour.
      > >
      > > So Janet Lawrence was both a witness and a neighbour.  This address could have been a family home, as two years earlier, James Davidson (1836-1856), son of Robert Davidson and Helen Dunn died there.  In the 1861 census, Helen Dunn is living at 52 Longate Street, Peterhead. Also here is daughter Elspet Craig and her 3 children.  Helen and Robert's daughter Elspet married Alexander Craig in 1854 and in the 1861 census, they were living at 52 Longate Street, Peterhead.  Further, Robert Davidson's daughter Elspeth, it could be argued under Scottish naming patterns, was named after his mother, Elspet Hutchison.

> [...]

      Hi Fionnadh,

      I am David Davidson from Peterhead and have been researching my family
      and came across your query.

      I have traced back to the the Birth of James Davidson whos father Alex Davidson Shipmaster registered a post houmous birth 1800.

      James Davidson Ships Carpenter is my GGG Grandfather

      His son James Ships Carpenter was my GG Grandfather

      66 Longate St Peterhead.

      James' son John Davidson (Stonecutter)1901 Census 9 St Mary St Peterhead was my Great Grandfather.

      His son David Davidson born 1909, my Grandfather was a Cooper and played football for Peterhead Football Club in the Highland League worked at Cleveland Twistdrill Peterhead before retiring. I have posted some photos of my familyin the Photo section.

      My Father David Davidson 78 is still living in Peterhead

      Kind Regards

      David Davidson 54

      Aberdeen Scotland