Seamen's registrations ,1845

  • Judy Hand
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3, 1999
      When I was at the LDS Library the other day, I started to write down the
      details of all the Peterhead seamen, until I realised how many there
      were, and, as a result, I have the details for some of the first on the
      list, which I can pass on now. To save having to type it out every
      time, can I advise that none of the undermentioned had either served in
      the Royal Navy or been in Foreign Service.

      For Joyce Irvine:

      No: 114201 Name: James RUDDACK
      Born At: Marnock County: Banff
      Date of Birth: 29 December, 1798
      Capacity: Carpenter Height: 5ft 2 � ins
      Hair: Black Complexion" Fair Eyes: Blue
      Marks: None
      First went to sea as: Carpenter In the year: 1821
      When unemployed resides at: Peterhead
      Issued at: Aberdeen On: 4 March, 1845
      Age when ticketed: 47 Can write: Yes

      No: 114219 Name William RUDDACK
      Born at: Fraserburgh County: Aberdeen Date of Birth: 18 June, 1823
      Capacity: Carpenter Height: 5ft 5ins Hair: Brown
      Complexion: Fair Eyes: Grey Marks: None
      First went to sea as: Carpenter In the year: 1841
      When unemployed resides at: Peterhead
      Issued at: Aberdeen On: 4 March, 1845
      Age when ticketed: 22 Can write: Yes

      For Alex Ritchie

      No: 114203 Name: Andrew BUCHAN
      Born at: Rathen County: Aberdeen Date of Birth: 18 June 1825
      Capacity: Seaman Height: 5ft 4 � ins Hair: Brown
      Complexion: Fair Eyes: Blue Marks: None
      First went to sea as: Fisherman In the year: 1837
      When unemployed resides at: Inverallochy
      Issued at: Aberdeen On: 4 March, 1845
      Age when ticketed: 20 Can write: Yes

      No: 114208 Name: Thomas SMITH
      Born at: Peterhead County: Aberdeen Date of Birth: 25 November 1806
      Capacity: Apprentice Height: 5ft 2 � ins Hair: Black
      Complexion: Ruddy Eyes: Grey Marks: None
      First went to sea as: Apprentice In the year: 1841
      When unemployed resides at: Peterhead
      Issued at: Aberdeen On: 4 March 1845
      Age when ticketed: 39 Can write: Yes

      For: Alex Ritchie, Susan Fairchild and Betty Holmes

      No: 114210 Name: John OGSTON
      Born at: New Aberdeen County: Aberdeen Date of Birth: 22 June, 1795
      Capacity: Cooper Height: 5ft 9 � ins Hair: Brown
      Complexion: Ruddy Eyes: Grey Marks: None
      First went to sea as: Cooper In the Year: 1816
      When unemployed resides at: Peterhead
      Issued at: Aberdeen On 4 March, 1845
      Age when ticketed: 50 Can write: Yes

      For Betty Holmes

      No.: 114212 Name: John SLESSON (or SLESSOR)
      Born at: Peterhead County: Aberdeen Date of Birth: 9 August, 1816
      Capacity: Cooper Height: 5ft 10 � ins Hair: Auburn
      Complexion: Fair Eyes: Grey Marks: None
      First went to sea as: Cooper In the year: 1837
      When unemployed resides at: Peterhead
      Issued at Aberdeen On: 4 March, 1845
      Age when ticketed: 29 Can write: Yes

      For Debbie Cunningham

      No: 114215 Name: George WATT
      Born at: Broad Sea County: Aberdeen Date of Birth: 11 March 1824
      Capacity: Seaman Height: 5ft 6 � ins Hair: Light
      Complexion: Fair Eyes: Blue Marks: None
      First went to sea as: Fisherman In the year: 1842
      When unemployed resides at: Peterhead
      Issued at: Aberdeen On 4 March, 1845
      Age when ticketed: 21 Can write: Yes

      For Sharon Inkster

      No: 114218 Name: Charles ROBERTSON
      Born at: Fraserburgh County: Aberdeen Date of Birth: 15 May 1815
      Capacity: Seaman Height: 5ft 8ins Hair: Black
      Complexion: Dark Eyes: Black Marks: None
      First went to sea as: Apprentice In the year: 1836
      When unemployed resides at: Peterhead
      Issued at: Aberdeen On: 4 March, 1845
      Age when ticketed: 30 Can write: Yes

      For some reason, I have not written down the details of No. 114216,
      Robert Reid, who should have been included in this list, so my apologies
      to Bruce Williams. I�ll look him up on Tuesday with the others. I
      hope some of the above turn out to be the correct people.

      Judy, Auckland, NZ
    • Val Lowrie
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 4, 1999
        Hi Judy

        Also if I'm not too late, I too would like the details of
        James ANDERSON No 114206
        James DAVIDSON No 114261
        James CRUICKSHANK No 114290

        With much appreciation