Heritage Display

    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 2, 2011

      Hi Margie,

      I knew you were involved with the display of photos at Scottish Week, but didn’t know what the centre was doing.

      I have heaps of Peterhead boat pictures, including some with skippers names, but this still doesn’t always help me.

      So have you come across any of our Burnhaven Reids with boats?

      I have pictures of:

      Traveller PD 301, Willie Reid

      Violet Flower PD 41

      John Reid “Jakie”

      Windermere PD 154 and PD 203

      Andrew Reid

      Have no idea which families they might fit into.

      I would however like to know more about:

      Ugie Vale PD 277

      Danny Buchan “Burke” and Arthur Buchan “Tocher”

      White Hills PD 302

      Arthur Buchan

      All Arthur Buchan’s, Bruce’s and Strachan’s tie back to Arthur Gall Buchan from St.Combs, my main line and there is also a branch in St.Combs with the by-name “White”.  Donald would possibly know the boats as they would be around the time of his first Glenugie.

      Regards,

      Wade.

      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 4, 2011

        Hi Wade,

        What sort of information are you looking for? Arthur used to live next door to me in Forman Drive back in the early 60s before he moved to the South Road and we are quite friendly.

        Regards,

        Roy

        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 4, 2011
          Wadw Hi,

          PD 277 Ugievale built by J & G Forbes, Sandhaven
          1953 for D N Buchan Peterhead. 152 hp Gardiner
          engine. Wrecked in
          a gale at Lossie mouth in 1966, no casualties.

          Margie
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 4, 2011

            Hi Roy and Margie,

            Sorry I should have explain it a bit better.  Basically I’d like to know what branch they might fit into.  I’ve pretty much proved a connection to those with Arthur from Buchanhaven, descend from Arthur Gall Buchan that moved from St.Combs to Buchanhaven about 1813 (this is my direct line).

            I also think it would be great to have, a mini family tree for  the skippers of fishing boats to put with the boat’s picture.  I’ve noticed some skippers are keeping the same boat names and in some cases keeping the same registration numbers, but that’s a huge project.

            Message 5 of 17 , May 5, 2011
              Hi Wade,
              Thank you for the birth certificates and charts you sent. I am just delighted with the results of my research thanks to you and also to Margie. I have managed to research all sides of my family back to the 1500s through 'Scotland's People.' I now have my Family Trees done for Forman/Masson/Buchan/Bruce and on my Mother's side: Walker/Smith/Davidson and Downie. I am doing a DVD with places and photos and music and the charts for everyone in my family.
              Thank you so muc hfor your contribution.
              June
            • marjay
              Message 6 of 17 , May 5, 2011
                Hi Margie,
                Thanks to you and Wade I have managed to get my whole family tree sorted out and am going to make a DVD for my family, with all my photos and maps and charts and Family Trees and all. I am so grateful for all your help and input and it feels great to have managed to trace all 8 sections of my family back to the 1500s through 'Scotland's People'.
                I hope your own research is going well.
                June