Re: [Peterhead] Re: Forman: does anyone have any information on Alexander Forman?

  • Ray Hennessy
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 1, 2011
      Hi Mary and Mary

      The charge for Scotland's People has gone up to £7 for 30 credits as from
      today but access is now for a full year. This is the first increase in
      charges for many years. I think the cost of official paper copies of
      Register or OPR entries has also gone up, from £10 to £12

      Ray

      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 1, 2011
        Hi Marjay,

        I have a distant connection with both Alexander Forman and his wife
        Elizabeth Bruce Masson, as they were both from Buchanhaven and married into
        the Bruce and Buchan lines. I have marriage certificates that I've attached
        for you.

        As Margie said Alexander Forman parents were George Forman and Jessie Bruce,
        I haven't researched the Forman's, but Jessie Bruce descends like many
        people in this group from the "Sinny" Bruce's from Corskelly and St.Combs,
        Lonmay.

        Elizabeth Bruce Masson parents were Alexander Masson and Mary Buchan, and
        Mary descends from Arthur "Lang Lums" Buchan and the "Park" Buchan's also
        from Corskelly and St.Combs, Lonmay.

        Attached certificates and charts should be on your home email address,
        Margie I sent to you as well in case you did the research for someone and
        may want to pass on.

        Regards,

        Wade.

        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 1, 2011
          Thank you so much Wade and Margie, you don't know how thrilled I am to get those
          birth certificates and information on my forefathers and mothers.  It's truly
          magical to learn details about them for my family tree.  It's lovely to find all
          the connections with different family names and think of the areas they came
          from.
          I will relish looking over the certificates you have provided.
          Thank you
          June

        • Margie
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 2, 2011
            Wade Hi,

            Many thanks for this, as you know we are working
            on the fisher family lines at the centre and
            trying to match them with boats and photographs
            for the sumer exhibition.
            This year we are going to be a "bit busy" as we
            have received permission from the Port Authority
            to use their hall for two months!

            This year the Heritage Display will be held during
            the months of June and July - we are busy working
            on the displays just now as it takes us about
            three weeks to set up.

            Donald is having boards made for some of the
            displays as well so if any of the folk researching
            are anywhwere near Peterhead during these times
            just contact me and I will arrange to meet them.

            Also to any local researchers we are looking for
            folk to help man the display - we have a number of
            volunteer already but the more the merrier. Anyone
            with an afternnon or morning tp spare will be most
            welcome and I am sure they will enjoy meeting the
            people who visit the exhibition.

            Margie
          • Margie
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 2, 2011
              Alexander and Robert were not brothers however there was a link but through the Bruce line! Confusing - of course it is all the fisher families are the same.
              Alexander who married Elixabeth Bruce Masson was the son of George Forman and Jessie Bruce while Rob Forman - the Provost, was the son of George Forman and Jessie Ann Pirie.

              Margie
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 2, 2011

                Hi Margie,

                I knew you were involved with the display of photos at Scottish Week, but didn’t know what the centre was doing.

                I have heaps of Peterhead boat pictures, including some with skippers names, but this still doesn’t always help me.

                So have you come across any of our Burnhaven Reids with boats?

                I have pictures of:

                Traveller PD 301, Willie Reid

                Violet Flower PD 41

                John Reid “Jakie”

                Windermere PD 154 and PD 203

                Andrew Reid

                Have no idea which families they might fit into.

                I would however like to know more about:

                Ugie Vale PD 277

                Danny Buchan “Burke” and Arthur Buchan “Tocher”

                White Hills PD 302

                Arthur Buchan

                All Arthur Buchan’s, Bruce’s and Strachan’s tie back to Arthur Gall Buchan from St.Combs, my main line and there is also a branch in St.Combs with the by-name “White”.  Donald would possibly know the boats as they would be around the time of his first Glenugie.

                Regards,

                Wade.

                Many thanks for this, as you know we are working
                on the fisher family lines at the centre and
                trying to match them with boats and photographs
                for the summer exhibition.

              • Henderson, Roy
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 4, 2011

                  Hi Wade,

                  What sort of information are you looking for? Arthur used to live next door to me in Forman Drive back in the early 60s before he moved to the South Road and we are quite friendly.

                  Regards,

                  Roy

                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 4, 2011
                    Wadw Hi,

                    PD 277 Ugievale built by J & G Forbes, Sandhaven
                    1953 for D N Buchan Peterhead. 152 hp Gardiner
                    engine. Wrecked in
                    a gale at Lossie mouth in 1966, no casualties.

                    Margie
                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 4, 2011

                      Hi Roy and Margie,

                      Sorry I should have explain it a bit better.  Basically I’d like to know what branch they might fit into.  I’ve pretty much proved a connection to those with Arthur from Buchanhaven, descend from Arthur Gall Buchan that moved from St.Combs to Buchanhaven about 1813 (this is my direct line).

                      I also think it would be great to have, a mini family tree for  the skippers of fishing boats to put with the boat’s picture.  I’ve noticed some skippers are keeping the same boat names and in some cases keeping the same registration numbers, but that’s a huge project.

                      Message 10 of 17 , May 5, 2011
                        Hi Wade,
                        Thank you for the birth certificates and charts you sent. I am just delighted with the results of my research thanks to you and also to Margie. I have managed to research all sides of my family back to the 1500s through 'Scotland's People.' I now have my Family Trees done for Forman/Masson/Buchan/Bruce and on my Mother's side: Walker/Smith/Davidson and Downie. I am doing a DVD with places and photos and music and the charts for everyone in my family.
                        Thank you so muc hfor your contribution.
                        June
                      • marjay
                        Message 11 of 17 , May 5, 2011
                          Hi Margie,
                          Thanks to you and Wade I have managed to get my whole family tree sorted out and am going to make a DVD for my family, with all my photos and maps and charts and Family Trees and all. I am so grateful for all your help and input and it feels great to have managed to trace all 8 sections of my family back to the 1500s through 'Scotland's People'.
                          I hope your own research is going well.
                          June