Re: Forman: does anyone have any information on Alexander Forman?

  • marjay
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 31, 2011
      Thank you Mary,
      I am delighted with the information you have given me and will research that. I am not sure how to find the GROS references you talk about. It definitely is my family, and I'm very excited about getting more information.
      You have helped me put some of the fragments together.
      Thank you
      June

      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, Mary Barnes <marysb@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      > I note that a marriage between Alexander Forman and Elizabeth Bruce Masson took place in Peterhead in 1913 - the GROS SR Marriages reference is 232/01 0094. I think this must be the family you are interested in.
      >
      > Mary
      >

      > On 30/03/2011, at 10:54 PM, Margie wrote:
      >

      > > Hi,
      > >
      > > This is one of the fishing families we have been
      > > working on at the Family Histoy Centre in Peterhead.
      > > We have a wealth of information on this line- your
      > > grandfather Alexander was born 13 April 1892 and
      > > his parents were George Forman and Jessie Bruce.
      > > If you email me off list I can let you have the
      > > details as there is a second marriage involved and
      > > it sometimes tends to be confusing,
      > > margiedavidsonat btinternetdot com -
      > >
      > > Margie
      > >

      > Mary Barnes
      > marysb@...

    • Mary Barnes
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 31, 2011
        Hi June,

        To get the register entry, you need to go to the Scotland's People web site http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/. It's a pay per view site, but not very expensive and very much worth it. You get 30 credits for £6, if I remember correctly. Go to the Statutory Registers of Marriages page, and enter the details. You will be charged 1 credit for the index info I gave you, and then 5 credits to download the entire page of the register book. I'm not sure if you can get to the download without first going to the index. Then you'll have 24 credits left to do further research on your family!

        Mary

        On 01/04/2011, at 6:03 AM, marjay wrote:

        > Thank you Mary,
        > I am delighted with the information you have given me and will research that. I am not sure how to find the GROS references you talk about. It definitely is my family, and I'm very excited about getting more information.
        > You have helped me put some of the fragments together.
        > Thank you
        > June

        Mary Barnes
        marysb@...

      • Ray Hennessy
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 1, 2011
          Hi Mary and Mary

          The charge for Scotland's People has gone up to £7 for 30 credits as from
          today but access is now for a full year. This is the first increase in
          charges for many years. I think the cost of official paper copies of
          Register or OPR entries has also gone up, from £10 to £12

          Ray

          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 1, 2011
            Hi Marjay,

            I have a distant connection with both Alexander Forman and his wife
            Elizabeth Bruce Masson, as they were both from Buchanhaven and married into
            the Bruce and Buchan lines. I have marriage certificates that I've attached
            for you.

            As Margie said Alexander Forman parents were George Forman and Jessie Bruce,
            I haven't researched the Forman's, but Jessie Bruce descends like many
            people in this group from the "Sinny" Bruce's from Corskelly and St.Combs,
            Lonmay.

            Elizabeth Bruce Masson parents were Alexander Masson and Mary Buchan, and
            Mary descends from Arthur "Lang Lums" Buchan and the "Park" Buchan's also
            from Corskelly and St.Combs, Lonmay.

            Attached certificates and charts should be on your home email address,
            Margie I sent to you as well in case you did the research for someone and
            may want to pass on.

            Regards,

            Wade.

            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 1, 2011
              Thank you so much Wade and Margie, you don't know how thrilled I am to get those
              birth certificates and information on my forefathers and mothers.  It's truly
              magical to learn details about them for my family tree.  It's lovely to find all
              the connections with different family names and think of the areas they came
              from.
              I will relish looking over the certificates you have provided.
              Thank you
              June

            • Margie
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 2, 2011
                Wade Hi,

                Many thanks for this, as you know we are working
                on the fisher family lines at the centre and
                trying to match them with boats and photographs
                for the sumer exhibition.
                This year we are going to be a "bit busy" as we
                have received permission from the Port Authority
                to use their hall for two months!

                This year the Heritage Display will be held during
                the months of June and July - we are busy working
                on the displays just now as it takes us about
                three weeks to set up.

                Donald is having boards made for some of the
                displays as well so if any of the folk researching
                are anywhwere near Peterhead during these times
                just contact me and I will arrange to meet them.

                Also to any local researchers we are looking for
                folk to help man the display - we have a number of
                volunteer already but the more the merrier. Anyone
                with an afternnon or morning tp spare will be most
                welcome and I am sure they will enjoy meeting the
                people who visit the exhibition.

                Margie
              • Margie
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 2, 2011
                  Alexander and Robert were not brothers however there was a link but through the Bruce line! Confusing - of course it is all the fisher families are the same.
                  Alexander who married Elixabeth Bruce Masson was the son of George Forman and Jessie Bruce while Rob Forman - the Provost, was the son of George Forman and Jessie Ann Pirie.

                  Margie
                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 2, 2011

                    Hi Margie,

                    I knew you were involved with the display of photos at Scottish Week, but didn’t know what the centre was doing.

                    I have heaps of Peterhead boat pictures, including some with skippers names, but this still doesn’t always help me.

                    So have you come across any of our Burnhaven Reids with boats?

                    I have pictures of:

                    Traveller PD 301, Willie Reid

                    Violet Flower PD 41

                    John Reid “Jakie”

                    Windermere PD 154 and PD 203

                    Andrew Reid

                    Have no idea which families they might fit into.

                    I would however like to know more about:

                    Ugie Vale PD 277

                    Danny Buchan “Burke” and Arthur Buchan “Tocher”

                    White Hills PD 302

                    Arthur Buchan

                    All Arthur Buchan’s, Bruce’s and Strachan’s tie back to Arthur Gall Buchan from St.Combs, my main line and there is also a branch in St.Combs with the by-name “White”.  Donald would possibly know the boats as they would be around the time of his first Glenugie.

                    Regards,

                    Wade.

                    Many thanks for this, as you know we are working
                    on the fisher family lines at the centre and
                    trying to match them with boats and photographs
                    for the summer exhibition.

                  • Henderson, Roy
                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 4, 2011

                      Hi Wade,

                      What sort of information are you looking for? Arthur used to live next door to me in Forman Drive back in the early 60s before he moved to the South Road and we are quite friendly.

                      Regards,

                      Roy

                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 4, 2011
                        Wadw Hi,

                        PD 277 Ugievale built by J & G Forbes, Sandhaven
                        1953 for D N Buchan Peterhead. 152 hp Gardiner
                        engine. Wrecked in
                        a gale at Lossie mouth in 1966, no casualties.

                        Margie
                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 4, 2011

                          Hi Roy and Margie,

                          Sorry I should have explain it a bit better.  Basically I’d like to know what branch they might fit into.  I’ve pretty much proved a connection to those with Arthur from Buchanhaven, descend from Arthur Gall Buchan that moved from St.Combs to Buchanhaven about 1813 (this is my direct line).

                          I also think it would be great to have, a mini family tree for  the skippers of fishing boats to put with the boat’s picture.  I’ve noticed some skippers are keeping the same boat names and in some cases keeping the same registration numbers, but that’s a huge project.

                          Message 12 of 17 , May 5 8:38 AM
                            Hi Wade,
                            Thank you for the birth certificates and charts you sent. I am just delighted with the results of my research thanks to you and also to Margie. I have managed to research all sides of my family back to the 1500s through 'Scotland's People.' I now have my Family Trees done for Forman/Masson/Buchan/Bruce and on my Mother's side: Walker/Smith/Davidson and Downie. I am doing a DVD with places and photos and music and the charts for everyone in my family.
                            Thank you so muc hfor your contribution.
                            June
                          • marjay
                            Message 13 of 17 , May 5 8:44 AM
                              Hi Margie,
                              Thanks to you and Wade I have managed to get my whole family tree sorted out and am going to make a DVD for my family, with all my photos and maps and charts and Family Trees and all. I am so grateful for all your help and input and it feels great to have managed to trace all 8 sections of my family back to the 1500s through 'Scotland's People'.
                              I hope your own research is going well.
                              June