Forman: does anyone have any information on Alexander Forman?

  • marjay
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 30, 2011
      Hi everyone, my grandfather Alexander Forman seemed to come from Roanheads and was born around 1890/1900. His brother Robert was the Provost in Peterhead from 1956-1965. Alexander married Elizabeth Masson, daughter of Alexander Masson and Mary Bruce Buchan from Peterhead or Crimond. Their children were George, Jean, Alexander, John and James.
      There are a lot of Alexander Formans but I can't find the right one.
      Any help would be much appreciated.
      Thank you
    • Margie
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 30, 2011
        Hi,

        This is one of the fishing families we have been
        working on at the Family Histoy Centre in Peterhead.
        We have a wealth of information on this line- your
        grandfather Alexander was born 13 April 1892 and
        his parents were George Forman and Jessie Bruce.
        If you email me off list I can let you have the
        details as there is a second marriage involved and
        it sometimes tends to be confusing,
        margiedavidsonat btinternetdot com -

        Margie
      • Mary Barnes
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 30, 2011
          Hi,
          I note that a marriage between Alexander Forman and Elizabeth Bruce Masson took place in Peterhead in 1913 - the GROS SR Marriages reference is 232/01 0094. I think this must be the family you are interested in.

          Mary

          On 30/03/2011, at 10:54 PM, Margie wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > This is one of the fishing families we have been
          > working on at the Family Histoy Centre in Peterhead.
          > We have a wealth of information on this line- your
          > grandfather Alexander was born 13 April 1892 and
          > his parents were George Forman and Jessie Bruce.
          > If you email me off list I can let you have the
          > details as there is a second marriage involved and
          > it sometimes tends to be confusing,
          > margiedavidsonat btinternetdot com -
          >
          > Margie

          Mary Barnes
          marysb@...

        • marjay
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 31, 2011
            Hi Margie,
            I'd love to get more information on my forefathers, George Forman and Jesssie Bruce. Thank you so much, any information would be utterly magical.
            I've emailed you
            June
          • marjay
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 31, 2011
              Thank you Mary,
              I am delighted with the information you have given me and will research that. I am not sure how to find the GROS references you talk about. It definitely is my family, and I'm very excited about getting more information.
              You have helped me put some of the fragments together.
              Thank you
              June

              --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, Mary Barnes <marysb@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              > I note that a marriage between Alexander Forman and Elizabeth Bruce Masson took place in Peterhead in 1913 - the GROS SR Marriages reference is 232/01 0094. I think this must be the family you are interested in.
              >
              > Mary
              >

              > On 30/03/2011, at 10:54 PM, Margie wrote:
              >

              > > Hi,
              > >
              > > This is one of the fishing families we have been
              > > working on at the Family Histoy Centre in Peterhead.
              > > We have a wealth of information on this line- your
              > > grandfather Alexander was born 13 April 1892 and
              > > his parents were George Forman and Jessie Bruce.
              > > If you email me off list I can let you have the
              > > details as there is a second marriage involved and
              > > it sometimes tends to be confusing,
              > > margiedavidsonat btinternetdot com -
              > >
              > > Margie
              > >

              > Mary Barnes
              > marysb@...

            • Mary Barnes
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 31, 2011
                Hi June,

                To get the register entry, you need to go to the Scotland's People web site http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/. It's a pay per view site, but not very expensive and very much worth it. You get 30 credits for £6, if I remember correctly. Go to the Statutory Registers of Marriages page, and enter the details. You will be charged 1 credit for the index info I gave you, and then 5 credits to download the entire page of the register book. I'm not sure if you can get to the download without first going to the index. Then you'll have 24 credits left to do further research on your family!

                Mary

                On 01/04/2011, at 6:03 AM, marjay wrote:

                > Thank you Mary,
                > I am delighted with the information you have given me and will research that. I am not sure how to find the GROS references you talk about. It definitely is my family, and I'm very excited about getting more information.
                > You have helped me put some of the fragments together.
                > Thank you
                > June

                Mary Barnes
                marysb@...

              • Ray Hennessy
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 1 2:13 AM
                  Hi Mary and Mary

                  The charge for Scotland's People has gone up to £7 for 30 credits as from
                  today but access is now for a full year. This is the first increase in
                  charges for many years. I think the cost of official paper copies of
                  Register or OPR entries has also gone up, from £10 to £12

                  Ray

                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 1 7:03 PM
                    Hi Marjay,

                    I have a distant connection with both Alexander Forman and his wife
                    Elizabeth Bruce Masson, as they were both from Buchanhaven and married into
                    the Bruce and Buchan lines. I have marriage certificates that I've attached
                    for you.

                    As Margie said Alexander Forman parents were George Forman and Jessie Bruce,
                    I haven't researched the Forman's, but Jessie Bruce descends like many
                    people in this group from the "Sinny" Bruce's from Corskelly and St.Combs,
                    Lonmay.

                    Elizabeth Bruce Masson parents were Alexander Masson and Mary Buchan, and
                    Mary descends from Arthur "Lang Lums" Buchan and the "Park" Buchan's also
                    from Corskelly and St.Combs, Lonmay.

                    Attached certificates and charts should be on your home email address,
                    Margie I sent to you as well in case you did the research for someone and
                    may want to pass on.

                    Regards,

                    Wade.

                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 1 7:24 PM
                      Thank you so much Wade and Margie, you don't know how thrilled I am to get those
                      birth certificates and information on my forefathers and mothers.  It's truly
                      magical to learn details about them for my family tree.  It's lovely to find all
                      the connections with different family names and think of the areas they came
                      from.
                      I will relish looking over the certificates you have provided.
                      Thank you
                      June

                    • Margie
                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 2 4:57 AM
                        Wade Hi,

                        Many thanks for this, as you know we are working
                        on the fisher family lines at the centre and
                        trying to match them with boats and photographs
                        for the sumer exhibition.
                        This year we are going to be a "bit busy" as we
                        have received permission from the Port Authority
                        to use their hall for two months!

                        This year the Heritage Display will be held during
                        the months of June and July - we are busy working
                        on the displays just now as it takes us about
                        three weeks to set up.

                        Donald is having boards made for some of the
                        displays as well so if any of the folk researching
                        are anywhwere near Peterhead during these times
                        just contact me and I will arrange to meet them.

                        Also to any local researchers we are looking for
                        folk to help man the display - we have a number of
                        volunteer already but the more the merrier. Anyone
                        with an afternnon or morning tp spare will be most
                        welcome and I am sure they will enjoy meeting the
                        people who visit the exhibition.

                        Margie
                      • Margie
                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 2 5:48 AM
                          Alexander and Robert were not brothers however there was a link but through the Bruce line! Confusing - of course it is all the fisher families are the same.
                          Alexander who married Elixabeth Bruce Masson was the son of George Forman and Jessie Bruce while Rob Forman - the Provost, was the son of George Forman and Jessie Ann Pirie.

                          Margie
                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 2 6:26 PM

                            Hi Margie,

                            I knew you were involved with the display of photos at Scottish Week, but didn’t know what the centre was doing.

                            I have heaps of Peterhead boat pictures, including some with skippers names, but this still doesn’t always help me.

                            So have you come across any of our Burnhaven Reids with boats?

                            I have pictures of:

                            Traveller PD 301, Willie Reid

                            Violet Flower PD 41

                            John Reid “Jakie”

                            Windermere PD 154 and PD 203

                            Andrew Reid

                            Have no idea which families they might fit into.

                            I would however like to know more about:

                            Ugie Vale PD 277

                            Danny Buchan “Burke” and Arthur Buchan “Tocher”

                            White Hills PD 302

                            Arthur Buchan

                            All Arthur Buchan’s, Bruce’s and Strachan’s tie back to Arthur Gall Buchan from St.Combs, my main line and there is also a branch in St.Combs with the by-name “White”.  Donald would possibly know the boats as they would be around the time of his first Glenugie.

                            Regards,

                            Wade.

                            Many thanks for this, as you know we are working
                            on the fisher family lines at the centre and
                            trying to match them with boats and photographs
                            for the summer exhibition.

                          • Henderson, Roy
                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 4 12:47 AM

                              Hi Wade,

                              What sort of information are you looking for? Arthur used to live next door to me in Forman Drive back in the early 60s before he moved to the South Road and we are quite friendly.

                              Regards,

                              Roy

                              I would however like to know more about:

                              Ugie Vale PD 277

                              Danny Buchan “Burke” and Arthur Buchan “Tocher”

                              Regards,

                              Wade.

                              This message may contain confidential and privileged information. If it has been sent to you in error, please reply to advise the sender of the error and then immediately delete it. If you are not the intended recipient, do not read, copy, disclose or otherwise use this message. The sender disclaims any liability for such unauthorized use. PLEASE NOTE that all incoming e-mails sent to Weatherford e-mail accounts will be archived and may be scanned by us and/or by external service providers to detect and prevent threats to our systems, investigate illegal or inappropriate behavior, and/or eliminate unsolicited promotional e-mails (spam). This process could result in deletion of a legitimate e-mail before it is read by its intended recipient at our organization. Moreover, based on the scanning results, the full text of e-mails and attachments may be made available to Weatherford security and other personnel for review and appropriate action. If you have any concerns about this process, please contact us at dataprivacy@....
                            • Margie
                              Message 14 of 17 , Apr 4 2:19 AM
                                Wadw Hi,

                                PD 277 Ugievale built by J & G Forbes, Sandhaven
                                1953 for D N Buchan Peterhead. 152 hp Gardiner
                                engine. Wrecked in
                                a gale at Lossie mouth in 1966, no casualties.

                                Margie
                                Message 15 of 17 , Apr 4 3:28 AM

                                  Hi Roy and Margie,

                                  Sorry I should have explain it a bit better.  Basically I’d like to know what branch they might fit into.  I’ve pretty much proved a connection to those with Arthur from Buchanhaven, descend from Arthur Gall Buchan that moved from St.Combs to Buchanhaven about 1813 (this is my direct line).

                                  I also think it would be great to have, a mini family tree for  the skippers of fishing boats to put with the boat’s picture.  I’ve noticed some skippers are keeping the same boat names and in some cases keeping the same registration numbers, but that’s a huge project.

                                  Message 16 of 17 , May 5, 2011
                                    Hi Wade,
                                    Thank you for the birth certificates and charts you sent. I am just delighted with the results of my research thanks to you and also to Margie. I have managed to research all sides of my family back to the 1500s through 'Scotland's People.' I now have my Family Trees done for Forman/Masson/Buchan/Bruce and on my Mother's side: Walker/Smith/Davidson and Downie. I am doing a DVD with places and photos and music and the charts for everyone in my family.
                                    Thank you so muc hfor your contribution.
                                    June
                                  • marjay
                                    Message 17 of 17 , May 5, 2011
                                      Hi Margie,
                                      Thanks to you and Wade I have managed to get my whole family tree sorted out and am going to make a DVD for my family, with all my photos and maps and charts and Family Trees and all. I am so grateful for all your help and input and it feels great to have managed to trace all 8 sections of my family back to the 1500s through 'Scotland's People'.
                                      I hope your own research is going well.
                                      June