Death of Charles Forrest

  • Cci
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 29, 2011
      Found this entry on another site.
      Autopsy report

      Charles Forrest
      between 35 and 40
      Shipwright, Peterhead Scotland

      We found that the lad CHARLES FORREST at Castlereagh Street, Sydney in the Colony
      afonsaid on the 6th Jan 1888, died from the affects of Ansemical? poisoning.
      We further find that a hither the said poison was self inflicted or otherwise the evidence.

      Catherine
      researching
      Forrest, Gray, McArthur, Davidson all in Peterhead

    • Kristy M
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 29, 2011
        Hi Catherine,
        Was Charles one of your Forrests, or did you come across him while researching the name? There are some articles relating to this Charles and his death at trove.nla.gov.au, just enter Charles forrest as the exact search term.Apparently he's ingested enough "Rough on Rats" to have killed fifty men. I assume the word you have with a question mark beside it would be arsenic, as that's what "Rough on Rats" was mostly made of. I've actual seen several articles where this was the cause of death in that era. It also mentions that he'd not long been in Sydney, and that he'd previously been residing with his sister in Croydon.
        Other people from Peterhead are also mentioned at this site if you enter Peterhead as the search term.
        Cheers,KristyBrisbane, QLD, Australia

        To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 30, 2011
          Hi Kristy,
          Many thanks for this info and yes he is related to me.

          Best wishes,
          Catherine
          Perth, Western Australia

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 30, 2011
            > Other people from Peterhead are also mentioned at this site if you enter
            Peterhead as the search term.

            Most of those references will also be to Peterhead in South Australia.

            Regards,
            Wade.
          • Kristy M
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 30, 2011
              Yes, you have to sift through the results to narrow it down, but many are from Aberdeenshire :-) (some names I've come across include Baillie, Duncan, Clark, Stephen, Sim, Baxter). Eliminating search results from SA can help narrow this further. I've also found references to people from Rosehearty, Fraserburgh, and many other Scottish places of interest. And sometimes there are articles extracted from Scottish newspapers (such as the Peterhead Sentinel and Buchan Journal), which can be handy if the paper in question hasn't been made available on the internet.
              Cheers,Kristy

              To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com
              From: wsb@...
              Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 20:17:14 +1100