Re: Captains Murray of Peterhead

  • iain.birnie
    Message 1 of 28 , Mar 19, 2011
      Take 2 - I'm an IT professional with sticky fingers honest!

      The references to Public Records Office - could they mean the UK National Archives.? They do have some records but precious little on line. Try this http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/ They have the Victor crewlist transcribed from 1881. Worth a look.

      Since I wrote my original response I've tracked down my boys on the Victor, The Thetis and the Intrepid (all Dundee Whalers). Alexander Herd also sailed on the Dart and the Nairnshire from Fraserburgh to the Baltic. Each of these records came from the University of Newfoundland http://www.mun.ca/mha/ Be prepared to put your hand in your pocket but worth every penny. Great service. They will photograph the records for you and the ones I've seen are superb.

      The best place to start on all of this is the Crew List Index Project. http://www.crewlist.org.uk/data/BT99.php . They have put some records up onto Findmypast.com which if you strike it lucky (which I did with the Dart)this opens up possibilities to get other records from Canada, The National Archives or the National Maritime museum. Each of the records lists the previous ship the sailor sailed on so if there isn't a missing crew list you can daisy chain your way back in time - that's the theory anyway!
      I've had a wee look and the Active (Official Number 19557)seems to have some records - not in Canada thou if I'm reading it right. Ernest William (ON 79483) is also listed so there might be some records somewhere for you.
      Happy hunting!

      The Dundee Courier records are recently up on line. I've accessed them via Dundee City Council's website but have had to put in my local library reference number to get through to them. Not sure how you would do it. Here is the link though...

      http://www.dundeecity.gov.uk/library/onlinedatabases

      I think this answers your questions but if not please come back to me. I promise it wont be a cople of months next time!