Family details for articles in latest FHS of Buchan Newsletter

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 7, 2011
      For those that are members of the Family History Society of Buchan and have
      just read the latest Newsletter "Aa the Claik" Number 12 February 2011, I
      thought some people might be interested in a little further information on
      some of the people mentioned in case they might find a connection.

      Firstly: wonderful article "I was There" by Peter Bruce (1897-1993) Part 1,
      describing his time in the 5th Gordon Highlanders. Am looking forward to
      reading Part 2.

      At the end it gave that Peter Bruce was born in Roanheads on 1st May 1897.
      I found no Peter Bruce's born in Peterhead between 1896 and 1898 and found
      that he was actually born in Fraserburgh.

      Fraserburgh 1897 Births

      No.121, Peter Buchan Bruce, born 1897 May First 4h 0m PM at 84 Charlotte
      Street, Fraserburgh, male, parents Charles Milne Bruce Cooper (Journeyman)
      and Christian Bruce ms Buchan, married 1886 December 1st Peterhead,
      informant: Charles Milne Bruce, Father (Present).

      The family are still at that address in the 1901 Census, with his father
      still a Cooper. Charles died in Fraserburgh 1949 a Fish Curer (Retired).
      Charles "Milne" Bruce (Milne added later in life) and Christian Buchan were
      married and living in Roanheads, Peterhead, their families originally from
      St.Combs Lonmay

      Charles Bruce descends from the "Sinny" Bruces and Christian Buchan descends
      from the "Park" and "Balone" Buchans.

      Carolyn: yes another 3 Cousin 3 x removed in the 5th Gordon Highlanders, I
      think it should have been called 3/3 G.H.

      Would be interesting to know who the young chap that got shot in the hand
      was, the Brocher shot in the eye and his pal "Smithie" and A.Wood, all
      interesting details to add flesh to the bones in our family trees.

      Secondly: the article of the tragic accident and loss of three lifeboat
      crew of "Alexander Tulloch" in 1914

      Peterhead 1914 Certificates

      No.197, James Geddes Pilot (Single), died 1914 December Twenty sixth about
      11h 30m AM In the South Bay near the Baths Peterhead (UR 47 Roanheads),
      male, age 31 years, parents: James Geddes, Tugmaster and Ann Geddes mc
      McDougal, cause: Accidental drowning, informant: John Williams Collie,
      Brother-in-law, 80 Kirk Street, Peterhead.

      No.198, Thomas Adams Geddes, Fisherman (Married to Elizabeth Jean Buchan),
      died 1914 December Twenty sixth about 11h 30m AM In the South Bay near the
      Baths Peterhead (UR 64 Roanheads), male, age 29 years, parents: Alexander
      Geddes Merchant Seaman (deceased) and Mary Geddes ms Cordiner (deceased),
      cause: Accidental drowning, informant: Joseph Buchan, Brother-in-law, 47
      Merchant Street, Peterhead.

      No.199, David Murray Strachan, Fisherman (Married to Mary Ann Taylor), died
      1914 December Twenty sixth about 11h 30m Am In the South Bay near the Baths
      Peterhead (UR: 71 Roanheads), male, age 32 years, parents: James Strachan
      Fisherman (deceased) and Jane Strachan ms Reid, cause: Accidental drowning,
      informant: James Strachan, Brother, 23 Roanheads, Peterhead.

      James Strachan and Jane Reid were married in Roanheads, Peterhead
      20/09/1871.

      There is also a small picture of Coxswain James Cameron in Donald McLean
      Anderson's book "Looking Back", page 76.

    • William Leslie
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 8, 2011
        Hello Wade;

        I think you are right about the birthplace of my uncle Pat Bruce. This may
        have been confused with the birthplace of my Aunt, my father's oldest
        sister, and wife of Pat Bruce. She and my father and their four other
        sisters were all born in the house at 3 Roanheads which still stands.

        Agnes Janet (Leslie) Bruce. Born 31 Aug 1907 in Roanheads, Peterhead. Died
        1990 in Fraserburgh

        Regards

        William Leslie