Re: Peterhead Seamen

  • Garry & Debbie
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1, 1999
      Hello Judy,

      I would be very interested if you could look up the information for me on;

      George Watt 114215 Peterhead.

      Here's hoping he is one of mine.

      Debbie Cunningham
      Perth, Western Australia.

      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 3, 1999
        Hi Judy,

        Judy Hand wrote:

        > James Buchan 114211 St. Combs
        > Alexander Bruce 114213
        > Robert Reid 114216
        > James Reid 114258
        > John Reid 114265
        > John Davidson 114270

        If it is not too late or a problem could I get these ones please.

        > I�m not trying to usurp your position, Wade, but I now can�t see the
        > name "Peterhead" without feeling I have to take all the particulars!

        Thank you for offering to look at these records for others. This was
        one of the reasons for starting this list, so that I and others could
        pass on Peterhead records and information that they find when doing
        research. The other is in the hope that people make contact with fellow
        Peterhead researchers.

        Regards, Wade.
      • Joanne Pye
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 2, 2000
          Hi all,

          I have heard that there is a list of seamen at the end of the 1851 census, and was wondering if someone could tell me what information these entries include as I have no idea!

          In particular, I would be very interested and grateful if sks could tell me if the following men are listed on it.  These are:

          CHARLES MILNE    b1830 approx. Merchant Seaman.   Maybe living with a MARY SMITH (his mother) or WILLIAM MILNE (his father) but not necessarily both.

          Also:

          JOHN WEBSTER
          BENJAMIN SKINNER

          These two gentlemen were witnesses to Charles' wedding and I am hoping to find them as seamen too.  My apologies for being so vague, but I have little information on these men prior to 1851.

          Thank you so much for your understanding and I look forward to hopefully speaking to some of you soon.
          Joanne.
        • Dr. Elizabeth B. Holmes
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 28, 2002
            Lynn, Thank you for the information about the ship SS Labrador. Robert
            Ogston age 42 is in my husband's family tree. How does one get the
            information about the Peterhead Seaman-through the Mormon's Family
            History Centres?-if so-under which heading are they in cataloges?
            Betty.
          • i.l.tilbury
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 28, 2002
              For Elizabeth Holmes
              Hi Betty
              Im so glad i have been able to help ., what i have is Agreement and account
              of crew no 52
              What it says about your Robert Ogston , theres his name, then next to that
              it says his age , then Peterhead
              Then if in the reserveno of commission 45531, then it says he was last on
              the ship Tay of Dundee, 1873
              He was a fast Harpooner
              Now if you look on the net for the Hudson Bay Company Achives , contact then
              ,
              The Lady who will help you is Ann Morton , they are very helpful and tou
              will be surpriced at what you might get
              Lyn

              > Lynn, Thank you for the information about the ship SS Labrador. Robert
              > Ogston age 42 is in my husband's family tree. How does one get the
              > information about the Peterhead Seaman-through the Mormon's Family
              > History Centres?-if so-under which heading are they in cataloges?
              > Betty.
              >
              > Peterhead Genealogy at http://www.axs.com.au/~wsb/

            • joanne.pye
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 16, 2004
                Hi Wade and everyone,

                I was wondering, do you have any information on the following 2 seamen
                please?

                Shand McKINNON born approx 1818 in Peterhead. He was a ship's keeper,
                Ticket No: 34985 - BT 98/2680. I think he may have died either on board the
                COLUMBIA in 1851 or in Greenland whilst working. I think he was the son of
                John McKINNON and Isabella RIACH nee RAE.

                I realise I have asked you about Shand before but as I've been given this
                additional information, I thought I'd ask your advice. I hope you don't
                mind. Do you know where this death is likely to have been recorded?

                Also, do you have anything about James MILNE born approx 1829 Crimond,
                ticket number 129347 / BT/98/2680. I believe he was on the ships DUBLIN of
                Peterhead and ENTERPRISE of Peterhead. I'd be really grateful if you could
                tell me anything about this man as I'm hoping he is a brother to my Charles
                MILNE.

                Thank you very much for any information you can offer and thank you also for
                your time.

                Joanne
                Researching in Peterhead: MILNE, KINLOCH, McKINNON, RIACH, WALKER
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 24, 2004
                  Hi Joanne,

                  I guess your new information is from the Seamen's Crewlist 1851 CD by Liz Hore. I don't have any extra merchant marine information and as they were both away in Greenland whaling, they don't appear in the 1851 Census.

                  Shand McKinnon died 6th April 1851 in the Greenland area whilst whaling, the comments say cause unknown. In other crew agreements I've seen, the cause is usually given for accidents eg. falling from rigging. This might suggest it was a medical condition. The other problem is the death was before civil registration, so you will not get a death certificate. The whaling boats were known to pick up extra crew in the Shetlands, so Shand could have been buried at sea, the first Port of return ie. Shetlands or somewhere else or returned to Peterhead and buried in a family plot.

                  Since you know the ticket numbers for both of them, you can get the Seamen's Ticket information, which should give the date of birth and physical description. I'd also suggest checking to see if he was buried in Peterhead knowing the year and the unusual name.

                • joanne.pye
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 24, 2004
                    Hi Wade,

                    Thank you so much for your help with this, I'll certainly now try and find
                    out where he was buried. I was given the information from someone who has
                    the CD you mentioned and thank you for your suggestion of obtaining his
                    information, I'll try that too!

                    Thanks again,