Re: James Hird Amelia Wilson

  • Margaret
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 21 12:53 PM
      Thank you Catherine and Annette for taking the time to find some answers for me. I think it is possible that marriage is them. Time and place fits, even if the bride is " Mary" instead of Amelia. Somebody made a mistake? Has anydody been able to find a birth date for Christian?
      Once again thank you
      Marg.

      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "scotnel4" <NelMit4@...> wrote:

      > --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Cci" <cci@> wrote:
      > >
      > > James Herd, seaman in Peterhead and Amelia Wilson
      > > his wife a son James
      > > born 3rd June 1847 bap 9th June 1847
      > > before Alexander Beedie and Alexander Baird
      > >
      > > James Herd, seaman in Peterhead a son
      > > Alexander Wilson born 18th Aug 1844
      > > bap 23rd Aug 1844 before Alexander Beedie and John Hay
      > >
      > > James Herd, seaman in Peterhead and Amelia Wilson
      > > his wife a daughter Margaret
      > > born 28th June 1848 bap 10th July 1848
      > > before Alexander Beedie and Andrew Milne
      > >
      > > James Herd, seaman in Peterhead and Amelia Wilson
      > > his wife a daughter Amerlia born 23rd Dec 1850
      > > bap 24th Feb 1851
      > > before John Yule and John Ironside
      > >
      > > James Herd, seaman in Peterhead and Amelia Wilson
      > > his wife a daughter Catherine Ann
      > > born 27th Feb 1853 bap 24th March 1853
      > > before William Dutch and John Yule
      > >
      > > 1851 census
      > > 16 East Sea Gate St, Peterhead
      > > Amelia Herd, wife of head, 29, brn Peterhead
      > > Alexander W. Herd, son, 6, brn Peterhead
      > > Margaret Herd, dau, 2, brn Peterhead
      > > Amelia Herd, 5 months, brn, Peterhead
      > >
      > > Catherine

      > I wonder if this could be the marriage -
      >
      > JAMES HERD
      >
      > Marriages:
      > Spouse: MARY WILSON
      >
      > Marriage:
      > 19 SEP 1843 Peterhead, Aberdeen, Scotland
      >
      > Regards,
      > Annette

    • scotnel4
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 21 2:35 PM
        Hello again Marg,

        I think your Christian must be the Catherine Ann born 1853 and she's had her name changed at some point.

        The year of birth fits with that of Christian on census records. The only other explanation is that she wasn't born to James and Amelia.

        One way to find out is to look at the 1855 birth of Mary and it will show how many children Amelia has given birth to and how many (including the sex) are still alive.

        Regards,
        Annette

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 21 5:17 PM
          Hi Margaret,

          > One way to find out is to look at the 1855 birth of Mary and it will show
          how many children Amelia has given birth to and how many (including the sex)
          are still alive.

          Peterhead 1855 Births

          No.113, Herd, Mary (present), Female, born 1855 June Twenty first 11h 30m PM
          at Seagate, father: James Herd, Mariner, age 31 years, born Peterhead,
          married 1842 Peterhead, 1 boy + 3 girls living, 1 boy dead, mother: Amelia
          Herd ms Wilson, age 33 years born Peterhead, Her 5th Child, informant:
          Jemima Cruickshank, Nurse.

          Will email you copy of certificate.

          I would check the OPR record of the 1843 Marriage, to see what occupation is
          given for James and what parish they are from.

          Regards,
          Wade.

        • Margaret
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 22 11:28 AM
            Thank you Annette and Wade for taking the time to help me.Thank you for the offer of cert, Wade, Much appreciated.Christian was the child of James and Amelia. They are her parents on her marriage cert. She married Andrew Masson 1875 in Peterhead. 1891 census they have children: Barbara 15 (his mother) Emily 12 (her mother?) Catherine 10 Christian 9 James 7 (his and her father) Lizzie 4, Mary Ann 2,John 11 months. Both Andrew and Christian are aged 38
            Again thank you for all your help. It is much appreciated.

            Marg.

            --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Wade Buchan" <wsb@...> wrote:

            > Hi Margaret,
            >
            > > One way to find out is to look at the 1855 birth of Mary and it will show
            > how many children Amelia has given birth to and how many (including the sex)
            > are still alive.
            >
            > Peterhead 1855 Births
            >
            > No.113, Herd, Mary (present), Female, born 1855 June Twenty first 11h 30m PM
            > at Seagate, father: James Herd, Mariner, age 31 years, born Peterhead,
            > married 1842 Peterhead, 1 boy + 3 girls living, 1 boy dead, mother: Amelia
            > Herd ms Wilson, age 33 years born Peterhead, Her 5th Child, informant:
            > Jemima Cruickshank, Nurse.
            >
            > Will email you copy of certificate.
            >
            > I would check the OPR record of the 1843 Marriage, to see what occupation is
            > given for James and what parish they are from.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Wade.

          • Iain Birnie
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 25 10:49 AM
              Margaret - James and Amelia Herd were my ggg grandparents. Alexander Wilson Herd my gg grandfather. Amelia's paretns were John Wilson and Isabella Forest (married 8th Nov 1807).

              Both James and Alexander were Whalers. These are the voyages I've tracked down for James - these are all Dundee ships but he seems to have continued living around the Peterhead area while Alexander moved to Dundee. I have the crew lists that mention him. I have a similar list for Alexander if you were interested.

              Year
              Ship
              Official Number
              Voyage Start
              Voyage End
              Role

              ?
              Barbra (Barbara)
              874
              ?
              ?
              ?

              1879
              Victor
              19540
              26/2?/1879
              8/8/1879
              Ship Keeper

              1880
              Victor
              19540
              2/3/1880
              18/7/1880
              Spectioneer

              1881
              Intrepid
              18504
              12/3/1881
              20/08/1881
              Spectioneer

              iain.

            • Margaret
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 26 11:05 PM
                Thanks Iain,
                Their daughter, Christian, married Andrew Masson and, therefore they are ggg grandparents of my son. Do you have a date of birth for Christian?
                Marg.

                --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Iain Birnie" <i.birnie@...> wrote:

                > Margaret - James and Amelia Herd were my ggg grandparents. Alexander Wilson Herd my gg grandfather. Amelia's paretns were John Wilson and Isabella Forest (married 8th Nov 1807).
                >
                > Both James and Alexander were Whalers. These are the voyages I've tracked down for James - these are all Dundee ships but he seems to have continued living around the Peterhead area while Alexander moved to Dundee. I have the crew lists that mention him. I have a similar list for Alexander if you were interested.
                >
                > Year
                > Ship
                > Official Number
                > Voyage Start
                > Voyage End
                > Role
                >
                > ?
                > Barbra (Barbara)
                > 874
                > ?
                > ?
                > ?
                >
                > 1879
                > Victor
                > 19540
                > 26/2?/1879
                > 8/8/1879
                > Ship Keeper
                >
                > 1880
                > Victor
                > 19540
                > 2/3/1880
                > 18/7/1880
                > Spectioneer
                >
                > 1881
                > Intrepid
                > 18504
                > 12/3/1881
                > 20/08/1881
                > Spectioneer

                > iain.

              • Mopar Man
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 27 9:32 PM
                  I'm descended from the Buchans (Alexander Buchan, b. 1861 and Eliza Jean
                  Buchan, b. 1866) and the Wallaces (Joseph Wallace, b. 1855 and Elizabeth
                  Gray, b. 1863) of Peterhead. I've got the dates and what-not worked out into
                  thw 1700s so now I'm trying to focus on the details of the more recent
                  generations. If anyone has photos or details of any members of these
                  families (particularly John Wallace, b. 1890 or Gladys Buchan, b. 1898)
                  please let me know.

                  Matt Chapman

                  Las Vegas, NV