Re: [Peterhead] Ogston and McNabb

  • Alison Kennedy
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 8, 2011
      Hi Elizabeth

      Our family has a connection to the Finnie side of this family and I might be able to help further with your search. I have some records for the Ogston's & McNab's but not sure if information that you are looking for. At the time of writing this I don't have time to look as my records are held on a different computer. I will try to contact you again later.

      Regards.

      Alison

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 9, 2011
        Hello there.

        Thank you for the contact and I will look forward to hearing from you
        .
        Elizabeth

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 9, 2011
          Hi Elizabeth

          Further to my e-mail earlier I've now compared the information which I have on the family to the information which you have posted.

          I'm a wee bit confused over the names which you have used.  My records (from Statutory Records) show that William Smith Ogston married Mary Ann McNab on 1 January 1891, Peterhead.  William was the illegitimate son of Alexander Ogston, Farm Servant & Elizabeth Smith.  Mary Ann McNab was the daughter of James McNab and Mary Ann Finnie.

          The 1901 census which you refer to for 1 Tanfield Court, off Windmill Street, is for the above William Ogston, his wife Mary Ann McNab and their surviving sons at the time William John Smith Ogston & James McNab Smith Ogston (I believe they had a number of children who died in infancy).

          I'm not sure what information you are looking for on the family but just let me know if you need any further help.

          Alison

          _____________________________________

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 21, 2011
            Hello Alison.

            Appologies for delay due to the computer gremlins I think I mentioned.

            Re the Ogstons. I have traced quite a few including William and Mary Ann's sad
            list of infant deaths you mentioned.
            My current stumbling block is Kate Ann McKinnon born about 1890 at Elgoll
            Inverness. Her parents were Ewan and Laxey and they also had Barbra, Mathew and
            John.

            Kate was my grandmother. She married William and Mary Ann's son James. Her known
            legitimate child was my mother, Elizabeth Morrison Ogston. I heard of another
            child she had, Donald, not apparently fathered by James. I am currently chasing
            shadows as I do not know his surname but have tried Ogston, McNab and McKinnon.
            Kate may have had more children but I need to polish up my skills to trace them
            If you do have any details of Kate Ann Mckinnon I would be thrilled to hear from
            you.

            Kind regards
            Elizabeth