RE: [Peterhead] Ogston and McNabb

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 8, 2011
      Hi Elizabeth,

      I'd suggest going to the ScotlandsPeople site and looking at the birth
      certificate for James, it should give the parents marriage date and you will
      then hopefully find the certificate.

      Born:

      1892, OGSTON, JAMES MCNAB SMITH, M, PETERHEAD, 232/01 099

      Regards,

      Wade.

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 8, 2011
        Hello Wade.

        In fact most of the the information gathered is from ScotlandsPeople and it is
        a brilliant site. Of course, its quite possible I'm not using the site
        properly to gain the best from it. I will continue with my searches though.

         Its also the lack of dates and surnames plus the reticence of our families
        years ago to blether to the children. Lots of details were hushed up.

        Lovely to hear from you and thank you
        Elizabeth.

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 8, 2011
          Hi Elizabeth

          Our family has a connection to the Finnie side of this family and I might be able to help further with your search. I have some records for the Ogston's & McNab's but not sure if information that you are looking for. At the time of writing this I don't have time to look as my records are held on a different computer. I will try to contact you again later.

          Regards.

          Alison

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 9, 2011
            Hello there.

            Thank you for the contact and I will look forward to hearing from you
            .
            Elizabeth

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 9, 2011
              Hi Elizabeth

              Further to my e-mail earlier I've now compared the information which I have on the family to the information which you have posted.

              I'm a wee bit confused over the names which you have used.  My records (from Statutory Records) show that William Smith Ogston married Mary Ann McNab on 1 January 1891, Peterhead.  William was the illegitimate son of Alexander Ogston, Farm Servant & Elizabeth Smith.  Mary Ann McNab was the daughter of James McNab and Mary Ann Finnie.

              The 1901 census which you refer to for 1 Tanfield Court, off Windmill Street, is for the above William Ogston, his wife Mary Ann McNab and their surviving sons at the time William John Smith Ogston & James McNab Smith Ogston (I believe they had a number of children who died in infancy).

              I'm not sure what information you are looking for on the family but just let me know if you need any further help.

              Alison

              _____________________________________

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 21, 2011
                Hello Alison.

                Appologies for delay due to the computer gremlins I think I mentioned.

                Re the Ogstons. I have traced quite a few including William and Mary Ann's sad
                list of infant deaths you mentioned.
                My current stumbling block is Kate Ann McKinnon born about 1890 at Elgoll
                Inverness. Her parents were Ewan and Laxey and they also had Barbra, Mathew and
                John.

                Kate was my grandmother. She married William and Mary Ann's son James. Her known
                legitimate child was my mother, Elizabeth Morrison Ogston. I heard of another
                child she had, Donald, not apparently fathered by James. I am currently chasing
                shadows as I do not know his surname but have tried Ogston, McNab and McKinnon.
                Kate may have had more children but I need to polish up my skills to trace them
                If you do have any details of Kate Ann Mckinnon I would be thrilled to hear from
                you.

                Kind regards
                Elizabeth