Ogston and McNabb

  • ELIZABETH
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 8, 2011
      I find I can only shovel fog for so long before needing help.

      I am seeking information initially re my g/grandparents........William
      Smith McNabb Ogston and his wife Mary Ann ms Finnie. Mary Ann died in
      August 1951 at 24 Albion Street PHD. I have been unable to find their
      marriage record but have a vague understanding from my mother they had
      four children, Alfie, James, William and Mary Ann who married Archie
      McAllister, a barber of Windmill Street, PHD. (around 1951). The 1901
      census shows two boys, William and James living with their parents at
      ?Tanfield Court off Windmill Street. James was 10yrs.

      Their son James married Kate McKinnon of Elgoll, Inverness (my
      grandparents) who may both have re-married. A son of Kate's stated he
      was born 'the wrong side of the blanket' but I do not have any dates
      or surname used. This was Donald who married Keena.

      I have found the death of a young child who may have been James son
      born in later years. Death was at Love Lane, mother shown as Lexy.

      Any help would be appreciated, ElizabethCasey
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 8, 2011
        Hi Elizabeth,

        I'd suggest going to the ScotlandsPeople site and looking at the birth
        certificate for James, it should give the parents marriage date and you will
        then hopefully find the certificate.

        Born:

        1892, OGSTON, JAMES MCNAB SMITH, M, PETERHEAD, 232/01 099

        Regards,

        Wade.

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 8, 2011
          Hello Wade.

          In fact most of the the information gathered is from ScotlandsPeople and it is
          a brilliant site. Of course, its quite possible I'm not using the site
          properly to gain the best from it. I will continue with my searches though.

           Its also the lack of dates and surnames plus the reticence of our families
          years ago to blether to the children. Lots of details were hushed up.

          Lovely to hear from you and thank you
          Elizabeth.

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 8, 2011
            Hi Elizabeth

            Our family has a connection to the Finnie side of this family and I might be able to help further with your search. I have some records for the Ogston's & McNab's but not sure if information that you are looking for. At the time of writing this I don't have time to look as my records are held on a different computer. I will try to contact you again later.

            Regards.

            Alison

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 9, 2011
              Hello there.

              Thank you for the contact and I will look forward to hearing from you
              .
              Elizabeth

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 9, 2011
                Hi Elizabeth

                Further to my e-mail earlier I've now compared the information which I have on the family to the information which you have posted.

                I'm a wee bit confused over the names which you have used.  My records (from Statutory Records) show that William Smith Ogston married Mary Ann McNab on 1 January 1891, Peterhead.  William was the illegitimate son of Alexander Ogston, Farm Servant & Elizabeth Smith.  Mary Ann McNab was the daughter of James McNab and Mary Ann Finnie.

                The 1901 census which you refer to for 1 Tanfield Court, off Windmill Street, is for the above William Ogston, his wife Mary Ann McNab and their surviving sons at the time William John Smith Ogston & James McNab Smith Ogston (I believe they had a number of children who died in infancy).

                I'm not sure what information you are looking for on the family but just let me know if you need any further help.

                Alison

                _____________________________________

                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 21, 2011
                  Hello Alison.

                  Appologies for delay due to the computer gremlins I think I mentioned.

                  Re the Ogstons. I have traced quite a few including William and Mary Ann's sad
                  list of infant deaths you mentioned.
                  My current stumbling block is Kate Ann McKinnon born about 1890 at Elgoll
                  Inverness. Her parents were Ewan and Laxey and they also had Barbra, Mathew and
                  John.

                  Kate was my grandmother. She married William and Mary Ann's son James. Her known
                  legitimate child was my mother, Elizabeth Morrison Ogston. I heard of another
                  child she had, Donald, not apparently fathered by James. I am currently chasing
                  shadows as I do not know his surname but have tried Ogston, McNab and McKinnon.
                  Kate may have had more children but I need to polish up my skills to trace them
                  If you do have any details of Kate Ann Mckinnon I would be thrilled to hear from
                  you.

                  Kind regards
                  Elizabeth