Re: [Peterhead] Scoul Bray, Peterhead

  • Margie
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 15, 2011
      Hi,

      Welcome back Wade- Alex is quite right, School
      Brae was the name used for Uphill Lane in the 1801
      census according to Dr Berti's book
      of Peterhead Street Names.
      He also says the street appears on the 1768 map as
      a country lane. When the Peterhead parish school
      was situated there from 1587 until 1787 it was
      known as School Wynd. Dr Berti gives his reference
      for this information as Neish 1950 pp 123- 127.

      The group may also like to know that the Family
      History Society of Buchan will be publishing
      Alex's book of the Peterhead Shipmasters shortly.
      It is at the proof reading stage at the moment.

      Margie
    • William E Scheyer
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 15, 2011
        When Alex's book is published, I hope the group will be notified as to where
        to purchase it.

        William E. Scheyer
        USA
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 16, 2011
          Hi Margie,

          Thanks and it was a shame I missed catching up with you again when I was back in May, it is hard trying to catch up with everyone, especially when I was there only for a short time and going to a relatives wedding. I ended up buying a couple of Donald McLean Anderson’s book. It was funny following him back to his place and he pulls up next door to my Cousin’s house.

          Would you believe I managed to get a pile of old School photos that were on a CD rescued by a relative from being thrown away. When I get more time I’ll have to start sending some of them to you, hopefully we might be able to work out when and who might be in them. Some are identified at least by Academy, Buchanhaven, Burnhaven, Central, Chuckney, Episcopal, North, Playschool and Port Errol. I’d still like to find some with possibly with my Dad in them from Buchanhaven or Chuckney.

          I’ll put an order in for Alex’s book now, please let us know when it is published and how we can purchase, thanks.

          Regards,

          Wade.

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 16, 2011
            Will certainly keep you informed.
            Donald's latest book has now been published
            Wade Fae Rosehearty to Fittie and I think its the
            best one yet. The title is a bit misleading as
            he didn't get as far as Fittie- he had so much
            material he stopped at Peterhead however the next
            one - due again at Christmas this year will start
            at Burnhaven I am already proof reading and
            checking the first section- Burnhaven, which
            centres on a member of the Buchan family (Grays)-
            Hardie's Peter's Wullie's Wullie's Wullie!!
            ( I volunteer as you know at the FHSB in Peterhead
            and we have loads of fun with the by names-
            sometimes a great way of sorting out the Buchans!

            The father was a curer - as were 4 of his brothers
            and with the collapse of the Russian market they
            lost their business and most of the money. One of
            the sons went abroad, another son went to find
            him, sent for the family when they found a place
            where they thought they could make a living,
            Seattle WA, where they started what became a very
            successful businesses.

            Margie
          • Mopar Man
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 16, 2011
              Margie,

              Are you the Margie Davidson mentioned in the last issue of "Aa the Claik"?
              If so, I'm eager to see the materials from your talk at the FHSB mentioned
              in the newsletter.