RE: [Peterhead] Peterhead births, deaths and marriages

  • Mopar Man
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 12, 2011
      Wade,

      I sent you a collection of BMDs at the email address you listed earlier.

      I have Buchan and Strachan members in my tree from Peterhead as well as
      Wallace. I have , or think I have, most of those lines traced back to the
      places they lived prior to moving to Peterhead. I'm having trouble tracing
      beyond that as the dates are in the 1700s and the records are not very good
      at all. If anyone has suggestions on how to perform research for people who
      died prior to 1855 please let me know.

      Matt

      From: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Peterhead%40yahoogroups.com>
      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 13, 2011
        Just got another book through the post - Whale Hunters by Robert Smith (ISBN 0859763935), it looks like an excellent little read about the Scottish whalers right up to recent times in Antarctica, many pages and mentions of Peterhead captains inc. the Grays, Murrays etc a good selection of photos too.
        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 14, 2011
          Hi Anne,

          Peterhead 1865 Deaths:
          No.173, James Pickard, Gardener married to Janet Laing, died 1865 November
          Twenty fourth 8h AM at Eden Cottage, male, aged 64 years, parents William
          Pickard, Soldier and Mary Pickard ms Farquhar (dead), cause: Unknown, no
          medical attendant, informant: James Pickard, Son, Present, occupier.

          Regards,
          Wade.

          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 14, 2011
            Hi Wade,

            Thanks very much for that info. I take it the Eden Cottage mentioned is the one still on Eden Drive, at the West Road junction. I'm still having no luck with James's parents, i guess this will never be solved, its so frustrating. Thanks again

            Anne

            To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 25, 2011
              Hi Colin,

              I was pleasantly surprised to read your recent post re the Murray
              Whaling Captains. I'm related to Captain Alexander Murray Sr - he was my
              GGG Father (Helen Murray, his daughter, was my GG Mother).

              Can you do me a big favour and send me any information you might have
              about Alexander Murray Sr?

              Thanks,

              Steve McPherson

              --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "cdamurray" <colin.d.a.murray@...>
              wrote:

              > Hi Chris,
              >
              > My family -
              >
              > Alexander Murray b. Peterhead 28th December, 1828 - d. 7 Maiden
              Street, Peterhead, 26th July, 1894 - GGG Uncle.

              > Alexander Murray b. Peterhead 21st May, 1860 - d. Whaler Active,
              Gilmour Island, Ottawa Islands, Nanuvat, Canada, 11th November, 1912 -
              1st cousin x 3.

              > John William Murray b. 25 Union Street, Saint Nicholas, Aberdeen 22nd
              July, 1868 - d. Scroggieside, Wormit on Tay, Forgan, Fife, 30th May,
              1948 - 1st cousin x 3.

              > Starters for 10 if you haven't already seen them:
              >
              > When the Whalers Were Up North: Inuit Memories from the Eastern Arctic
              >
              > By Dorothy Eber
              >
              > ISBN-10: 0773507027
              > ISBN-13: 978-0773507029
              >
              > And
              >
              > Last of the Whaling Captains
              >
              > By Capt. G. V. CLARK
              >
              > ISBN 978-0-85174-498-8
              >
              > Regards
              >
              > Colin Murray

            • iain.birnie
              Message 6 of 28 , Mar 19, 2011
                Chris - I'm really sorry I haven't been able to respond to you before on this.
                Answers to your questions..

                Active - if the Dundee Museum has it then I can look at it for you.

                --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "c" <cbaer@...> wrote:

                > Thanks, Iain!
                >
                > I'd absolutely love to visit the libraries in Dundee, but alas I'm on the other side of the globe for the time being (although I have great memories of spending a couple of months in Scotland in the 1980s!) One day, though, I hope!
                >
                > I'm very much interested in trying to nail down a list of whaling and trading voyages from Scotland into Hudson Bay during the late 1890s and early 1900s, and specifically trying to find the whereabouts of any logs and/or crewlists of the Ernest William, and Active between 1900-1912 or so.
                >
                > I found these references in a 1977 bibliography, for instance:
                >
                > Active I90I-02 [Logbook of the Southampton Island Whaling Station.] Dundee: Museums and Art Galleries Department .
                >
                > Active 1902 Agreement and Account of Crew. Hayes, Middlesex: Board of Trade Section, Public Record Office (19557).
                >
                > Ernest, William 1902-10 Agreement and Account of Crew. Hayes, Middlesex: Board of Trade Section, Public Record Office (79483).
                >
                > My questions:
                > How do you interpret "Hayes, Middlesex: Board of Trade Section, Public Record Office (19557)" for instance?
                >
                > Does any of this exist on microfilm (or better, digitally) do you suppose?
                >
                > I also understand the gov't of Newfoundland has many records of Scottish voyages. Do you know anything about this?
                >
                > Where are you / have you looked for the crewlist of the "Victor"?
                >
                > What's the web address for British Library's Dundee Courier holdings you mention?
                >
                > Thanks again!
                > Chris
                >

                > --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Iain Birnie" <i.birnie@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Chris - the best place to look for Dundee whaler (and sealer) catches is at the Local History Library in Dundee. They have a handwritten book by a man called Ingram (collated from articles in the Dundee Advertiser I think). Lots of associated whaling stories too. Not online so a trip to God's Own City is required. Happy to have a look for you if there is something specific you need (ship and year kind of thing).
                > > I've not had a chance to do a deep dive yet but the British Library now have the 19th century Dundee Courier on line. I've managed to get a fair bit of information about a Peterhead (and then Dundee) whaler The Victor from 1881. My ggg grandfather was spectioneer and his son (my gg grandfather) was a harpooner on board the year before from crew lists held in Canada. Both were born in Peterhead. Challenge now is to trace the records for 1881 to see if they were on board when she was caught in ice and lost up near Greenland.
                > > Does anyone have copies of crew lists for the Victor or any ship that mention John, James or Alexander Herd (or Hird, Heard, Hurd)?
                > >
                > > Iain.

              • iain.birnie
                Message 7 of 28 , Mar 19, 2011
                  Take 2 - I'm an IT professional with sticky fingers honest!

                  The references to Public Records Office - could they mean the UK National Archives.? They do have some records but precious little on line. Try this http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/ They have the Victor crewlist transcribed from 1881. Worth a look.

                  Since I wrote my original response I've tracked down my boys on the Victor, The Thetis and the Intrepid (all Dundee Whalers). Alexander Herd also sailed on the Dart and the Nairnshire from Fraserburgh to the Baltic. Each of these records came from the University of Newfoundland http://www.mun.ca/mha/ Be prepared to put your hand in your pocket but worth every penny. Great service. They will photograph the records for you and the ones I've seen are superb.

                  The best place to start on all of this is the Crew List Index Project. http://www.crewlist.org.uk/data/BT99.php . They have put some records up onto Findmypast.com which if you strike it lucky (which I did with the Dart)this opens up possibilities to get other records from Canada, The National Archives or the National Maritime museum. Each of the records lists the previous ship the sailor sailed on so if there isn't a missing crew list you can daisy chain your way back in time - that's the theory anyway!
                  I've had a wee look and the Active (Official Number 19557)seems to have some records - not in Canada thou if I'm reading it right. Ernest William (ON 79483) is also listed so there might be some records somewhere for you.
                  Happy hunting!

                  The Dundee Courier records are recently up on line. I've accessed them via Dundee City Council's website but have had to put in my local library reference number to get through to them. Not sure how you would do it. Here is the link though...

                  http://www.dundeecity.gov.uk/library/onlinedatabases

                  I think this answers your questions but if not please come back to me. I promise it wont be a cople of months next time!