AI(T)KENS and GRAYS of Peterhead

  • Cheddarlady
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 12, 2011
      Hi, I'm researching my Peterhead ancestry and wonder if anyone can assist?

      Alexander AIKEN born abt. 1831
      married Margaret SMITH of Roseheart in Peterhead 1850
      Children:
      Mary (bap. 15 Nov 1851), Alexander (bap. 6 Sept 1853), Margaret (14 May 1855)
      Isabella (1859), Charlotte (1860).

      1851 census shows Margaret (seaman's wife) living at James St. Peterhead
      with Catherine Carden (Cardno?)(shipmaster's wife). Alexander presumably at sea.

      The 1861 census shows Margaret (seaman's wife) residing at 2 Maiden St. with children Mary, 9yrs (bap. 15 Nov 1851); Alexander, 7 yrs (bap. 6 Sep 1853); Margaret, 5 years (b. 14 May 1855); Isabella, 2 yrs; Charlotte, 5 months. Alexander senior presumably at sea.

      1871 census shows Margaret S. Aiken (seaman's wife) living in Peterhead with Mary, age 19 (dressmaker); Isabella, age 12 (scholar) and Jennina, age 7. I have been unable to find her children Alexander, Margaret or Charlotte.

      Alex. Aiken senior is listed in 1871 as 1st mate, vessels Esquimax & Artic, Dundee.

      Margaret (14 May 1855) married Andrew Latto Gray, 26(ship carpenter), son of William Gray (1811, Nigg) and Helen Latto in Dundee on 8 May 1876. Alexander Aiken senior (seaman, M.S.) was present. Margaret senior described as deceased.

      Any info on possible links would be gratefully received as I have hit a bit of a wall.

      Thanks in anticipation. SDG