Re: [Peterhead] Re: Milnes

  • C & J Hinricks
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 10, 2011
      I see a lot of people are researching the Milne family.
      I have Penelope Boyd Milne b Crimmond c 1820 d. 9 Seagate Peterhead 1897.
      She married John Allan in 1842 and they had 7 children born in Peterhead.

      I have not been able with any certainty to find the parents of Penelope Milne so would appreciate hearing from anyone who has information.

      Penelope Milne and John Allan are my 2x great grandparents. I do know they are both buried in St Peters Old Churchyard. The informant at Penelope's death was Mary Ann Allan probably her daughter in law.

      Thanks
      Janet Hinricks

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 11, 2011
        Hi Janet,

        I'm guessing daughter-in-law Mary Ann Allan didn't know Penelope's parents
        then on the death certificate? Have you tried looking for her in the 1841
        Census in either Crimond or Peterhead, Penelope is an unusual name at that
        time, which is why I also remember seeing the name from a birth certificate
        I was indexing yesterday from the ones Colin Murray sent me.

        Twins Patrick and Susan born in 1859, I'll send you a copy of the
        certificate by email incase you don't have it. They also both died a year
        later of measles, can give you those details if you wish as well?

        Regards,

        Wade.

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 11, 2011
          "I'm guessing daughter-in-law Mary Ann Allan didn't know Penelope's parents
          then on the death certificate? Have you tried looking for her in the 1841
          Census in either Crimond or Peterhead, Penelope is an unusual name at that
          time, which is why I also remember seeing the name from a birth certificate
          I was indexing yesterday from the ones Colin Murray sent me."

          Hi Wade
          Thanks very much for the cert. Would appreciate the info on their deaths. This family had two sets of twins, three of the children dying in infancy.

          I will sort through the certs and OPR's I have for Peterhead as I do have a number for Allan and Scott families. It seems I am very lucky the Milne/Allan births were on the same page as the Murray birth. Just shows how many people can be helped unknowingly and how lucky we are that you are so observant.

          I did find Penelope Milne in the 1841 census working as a maid in Peterhead.

          Still hope to track her down!!

          Many many thanks
          Janet

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 11, 2011
            Hi Janet,

            Don't have image copy of these certificates, have only transcribed.

            Deaths 1860

            No.84, Allan Paterick (single), died 1860, May 28th 11h 30 AM 15/1 Seagate,
            male, aged 1 year, parents: John Allan, sailmaker and Penelope Allan ms
            Milne, cause: measles, no medical attendant, informant: John Allan, His x
            mark, brother, inmate, present.

            No.88, Allan Sarah (single), died 1860 May 31st 8h 30m AM 15/1 Seagate,
            female, aged 1 year, parents: John Allan, sailmaker and Penelope Allan ms
            Milne, cause: measles, no medical attendant, informant: John Allan, His x
            mark, brother, inmate, present.

            1851 Peterhead Census:

            District 10, Page 14, No.62, Longate Street

            Penelope Allan, wife of head, 32, Crimond

            Penelope Allan, daughter, 7, Peterhead

            John Allan, son, 5, Peterhead

            William Allan, 3, Peterhead

            Thank you for the copies of the certificates. I'm not indexing the OPR
            records, these are already done.

            Did you look at the Register of Corrected Entries for John Allan's death in
            1887? For the extra 2 credits, might give some extra information about his
            cause of death.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 11, 2011
              Hi Wade
              Thanks for the information. I do have a copy of the RCE for John Allans death.

              Regards
              Janet

            • Ken May
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 30, 2011
                Janet,

                I'm interested in Milnes from Hillhead o'Cocklaw, as Jan(n)et Milne married my Great-grandfather, John May. Her father was George Milne, who married Janet Williamson.
                Janet and John May both died in Wellington in 1909 and 1907, respectively.

                I now live in Kirwee, in shakey Canterbury, and Roger Milne lives down the road. His family come from Ashburton and I understand that one of his family are doing family tree stuff, so it might well be worth a connection.

                Regards

                Ken May