RE: [Peterhead] Peterhead births, deaths and marriages

  • Mopar Man
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 10, 2011
      Wade,

      Similar to Mary, I have many Peterhead BMD records that I can share with
      you. Most of them are for the Buchan and Wallace families in Peterhead.
      What's the best way to share the info?

      Matt

      From: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Peterhead%40yahoogroups.com>
      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 10, 2011
        Wade

        Just like to add another "welcome back" ! Like so many others my early Peterhead research benefitted from the info on your original site.

        I too have 20 or so Peterhead BDMs from my tree which I would be happy for you to add to your indexes. Would you like actual copies of the certificates or the info sent to you in index form ?

        Regards
        Viv
        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 11, 2011
          Hi Matt,

          If you wish you can email them to me at wsb@... and I'll add them
          to the index as well.

          What area in Peterhead are your Buchan's from? Buchanhaven, Roanheads or
          Burnhaven?

          Regards,

          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 11, 2011
            Hi Viv,

            Thank you.

            If it is not too much of a problem I would love a copy of the certificates.
            Some can be difficult to read and I'm a little use to some of the names and
            writing by now. Also, I'm able to send people copies if I see someone like
            Janet re: Milnes post.

            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 11, 2011
              Mostly from Buchanhaven. I didn't realize there were other "Buchan" areas of
              Peterhead. Is that significant in tracing these families backwards?

              I'll go through my BMD images in the next couple of days and shoot you a
              bunch of emails with them.

              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 11, 2011
                Hi Matt,

                Then we most likely have a connection, just let me know what branch you are
                researching and where you are stuck at. If you have an Arthur Buchan/Bruce
                or Strachan in the family it descends from the first to move into
                Buchanhaven.

                The Buchan's from Buchanhaven arrived from St.Combs, Lonmay about 1812-14
                are mainly connected with the other two fishing families of Strachan and
                Bruce also from Lonmay.

                Those in Burnhaven are either later generations and those that came from
                Crimond and Rathen, married into families like Cow, Tait, and Stephen and
                Roanheads not so many, but some later generations.

                Regards,

                Wade.

                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 12, 2011
                  Hi Wade

                  I noticed in the Peterhead deaths, that there is a James Pickard born 1801, and died 1865. Do you have any info on him?. I have been looking for his death for a while now, and could'nt believe it when i saw it. I know he was born in Sileby and came up here and married a Janet Laing. His parents are also a mystery. They are the brick wall that some of us come across. Any info would be great.

                  Thanks
                  Anne

                  To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 28 , Jan 12, 2011
                    Wade,

                    I sent you a collection of BMDs at the email address you listed earlier.

                    I have Buchan and Strachan members in my tree from Peterhead as well as
                    Wallace. I have , or think I have, most of those lines traced back to the
                    places they lived prior to moving to Peterhead. I'm having trouble tracing
                    beyond that as the dates are in the 1700s and the records are not very good
                    at all. If anyone has suggestions on how to perform research for people who
                    died prior to 1855 please let me know.

                    Message 9 of 28 , Jan 13, 2011
                      Just got another book through the post - Whale Hunters by Robert Smith (ISBN 0859763935), it looks like an excellent little read about the Scottish whalers right up to recent times in Antarctica, many pages and mentions of Peterhead captains inc. the Grays, Murrays etc a good selection of photos too.
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jan 14, 2011
                        Hi Anne,

                        Peterhead 1865 Deaths:
                        No.173, James Pickard, Gardener married to Janet Laing, died 1865 November
                        Twenty fourth 8h AM at Eden Cottage, male, aged 64 years, parents William
                        Pickard, Soldier and Mary Pickard ms Farquhar (dead), cause: Unknown, no
                        medical attendant, informant: James Pickard, Son, Present, occupier.

                        Message 11 of 28 , Jan 14, 2011
                          Hi Wade,

                          Thanks very much for that info. I take it the Eden Cottage mentioned is the one still on Eden Drive, at the West Road junction. I'm still having no luck with James's parents, i guess this will never be solved, its so frustrating. Thanks again

                          Anne

                          To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com

                          Message 12 of 28 , Jan 25, 2011
                            Hi Colin,

                            I was pleasantly surprised to read your recent post re the Murray
                            Whaling Captains. I'm related to Captain Alexander Murray Sr - he was my
                            GGG Father (Helen Murray, his daughter, was my GG Mother).

                            Can you do me a big favour and send me any information you might have
                            about Alexander Murray Sr?

                            Thanks,

                            Steve McPherson

                            --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "cdamurray" <colin.d.a.murray@...>
                            wrote:

                            > Hi Chris,
                            >
                            > My family -
                            >
                            > Alexander Murray b. Peterhead 28th December, 1828 - d. 7 Maiden
                            Street, Peterhead, 26th July, 1894 - GGG Uncle.

                            > Alexander Murray b. Peterhead 21st May, 1860 - d. Whaler Active,
                            Gilmour Island, Ottawa Islands, Nanuvat, Canada, 11th November, 1912 -
                            1st cousin x 3.

                            > John William Murray b. 25 Union Street, Saint Nicholas, Aberdeen 22nd
                            July, 1868 - d. Scroggieside, Wormit on Tay, Forgan, Fife, 30th May,
                            1948 - 1st cousin x 3.

                            > Starters for 10 if you haven't already seen them:
                            >
                            > When the Whalers Were Up North: Inuit Memories from the Eastern Arctic
                            >
                            > By Dorothy Eber
                            >
                            > ISBN-10: 0773507027
                            > ISBN-13: 978-0773507029
                            >
                            > And
                            >
                            > Last of the Whaling Captains
                            >
                            > By Capt. G. V. CLARK
                            >
                            > ISBN 978-0-85174-498-8
                            >
                            > Regards
                            >
                            > Colin Murray

                          • iain.birnie
                            Message 13 of 28 , Mar 19, 2011
                              Chris - I'm really sorry I haven't been able to respond to you before on this.
                              Answers to your questions..

                              Active - if the Dundee Museum has it then I can look at it for you.

                              --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "c" <cbaer@...> wrote:

                              > Thanks, Iain!
                              >
                              > I'd absolutely love to visit the libraries in Dundee, but alas I'm on the other side of the globe for the time being (although I have great memories of spending a couple of months in Scotland in the 1980s!) One day, though, I hope!
                              >
                              > I'm very much interested in trying to nail down a list of whaling and trading voyages from Scotland into Hudson Bay during the late 1890s and early 1900s, and specifically trying to find the whereabouts of any logs and/or crewlists of the Ernest William, and Active between 1900-1912 or so.
                              >
                              > I found these references in a 1977 bibliography, for instance:
                              >
                              > Active I90I-02 [Logbook of the Southampton Island Whaling Station.] Dundee: Museums and Art Galleries Department .
                              >
                              > Active 1902 Agreement and Account of Crew. Hayes, Middlesex: Board of Trade Section, Public Record Office (19557).
                              >
                              > Ernest, William 1902-10 Agreement and Account of Crew. Hayes, Middlesex: Board of Trade Section, Public Record Office (79483).
                              >
                              > My questions:
                              > How do you interpret "Hayes, Middlesex: Board of Trade Section, Public Record Office (19557)" for instance?
                              >
                              > Does any of this exist on microfilm (or better, digitally) do you suppose?
                              >
                              > I also understand the gov't of Newfoundland has many records of Scottish voyages. Do you know anything about this?
                              >
                              > Where are you / have you looked for the crewlist of the "Victor"?
                              >
                              > What's the web address for British Library's Dundee Courier holdings you mention?
                              >
                              > Thanks again!
                              > Chris
                              >

                              > --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Iain Birnie" <i.birnie@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Chris - the best place to look for Dundee whaler (and sealer) catches is at the Local History Library in Dundee. They have a handwritten book by a man called Ingram (collated from articles in the Dundee Advertiser I think). Lots of associated whaling stories too. Not online so a trip to God's Own City is required. Happy to have a look for you if there is something specific you need (ship and year kind of thing).
                              > > I've not had a chance to do a deep dive yet but the British Library now have the 19th century Dundee Courier on line. I've managed to get a fair bit of information about a Peterhead (and then Dundee) whaler The Victor from 1881. My ggg grandfather was spectioneer and his son (my gg grandfather) was a harpooner on board the year before from crew lists held in Canada. Both were born in Peterhead. Challenge now is to trace the records for 1881 to see if they were on board when she was caught in ice and lost up near Greenland.
                              > > Does anyone have copies of crew lists for the Victor or any ship that mention John, James or Alexander Herd (or Hird, Heard, Hurd)?
                              > >
                              > > Iain.

                            • iain.birnie
                              Message 14 of 28 , Mar 19, 2011
                                Take 2 - I'm an IT professional with sticky fingers honest!

                                The references to Public Records Office - could they mean the UK National Archives.? They do have some records but precious little on line. Try this http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/ They have the Victor crewlist transcribed from 1881. Worth a look.

                                Since I wrote my original response I've tracked down my boys on the Victor, The Thetis and the Intrepid (all Dundee Whalers). Alexander Herd also sailed on the Dart and the Nairnshire from Fraserburgh to the Baltic. Each of these records came from the University of Newfoundland http://www.mun.ca/mha/ Be prepared to put your hand in your pocket but worth every penny. Great service. They will photograph the records for you and the ones I've seen are superb.

                                The best place to start on all of this is the Crew List Index Project. http://www.crewlist.org.uk/data/BT99.php . They have put some records up onto Findmypast.com which if you strike it lucky (which I did with the Dart)this opens up possibilities to get other records from Canada, The National Archives or the National Maritime museum. Each of the records lists the previous ship the sailor sailed on so if there isn't a missing crew list you can daisy chain your way back in time - that's the theory anyway!
                                I've had a wee look and the Active (Official Number 19557)seems to have some records - not in Canada thou if I'm reading it right. Ernest William (ON 79483) is also listed so there might be some records somewhere for you.
                                Happy hunting!

                                The Dundee Courier records are recently up on line. I've accessed them via Dundee City Council's website but have had to put in my local library reference number to get through to them. Not sure how you would do it. Here is the link though...

                                http://www.dundeecity.gov.uk/library/onlinedatabases

                                I think this answers your questions but if not please come back to me. I promise it wont be a cople of months next time!