Re: Captains Murray of Peterhead

  • c
    Message 1 of 28 , Jan 8, 2011
      Thanks, Colin!

      My interest is centered around George Cleveland, who worked for the Robert Kinnes company of Dundee with the Murray brothers of Peterhead from about 1903 until 1910. Cleveland captained the "Ernest William" after John Murray and under their management, and traveled with them to and from Dundee on the "Active". (Cleveland had been abandoned by his previous employers and was living with the Inuit near Repulse Bay until John Murray found him.) In trying to tell Cleveland's story, I need to learn more about the Murray brothers and their background. (See some of what I have at http://www.oldtimeislands.org/Cleveland )

      I'd especially love to learn more about the "Ernest William" and also about the Robert Kinnes company of Dundee and the "Active" if you have any leads. I understand there may exist a logbook to the Ernest William.

      I'd also like to be able to put together at least a capsule biography of Capt. Alexander Murray Sr. Has anyone been able to figure out his role in the search for the lost Franklin expedition, for instance?

      Thanks again-
      Chris

      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Colin Murray" <colin.d.a.murray@...> wrote:

      > Hi Chris
      >
      > Yup thats the correct website address and to get the best value for money you need to sit down for a few evenings with maybe a weeks pass and get stuck in with different search terms, obviously a mix of Peterhead, whalers, whaling, Murray etc etc should bring up what you need. I have 244 PDF's downloaded with at least 24 directly concerned with my Murrays, you will probably find more as I was suffering with a deathly slow internet connection in Oman when I did it. I started some time ago to database them but have only managed to do a few (not pressure of work but just time consuming). I've sent an example to you by e-mail.
      >
      > Can I ask the reason for the in-depth research? a book would be nice and it would take the pressure off my brother who has alloted him self the task of collating everything I have.
      >
      > Colin

    • c
      Message 2 of 28 , Jan 8, 2011
        Thanks, Iain!

        I'd absolutely love to visit the libraries in Dundee, but alas I'm on the other side of the globe for the time being (although I have great memories of spending a couple of months in Scotland in the 1980s!) One day, though, I hope!

        I'm very much interested in trying to nail down a list of whaling and trading voyages from Scotland into Hudson Bay during the late 1890s and early 1900s, and specifically trying to find the whereabouts of any logs and/or crewlists of the Ernest William, and Active between 1900-1912 or so.

        I found these references in a 1977 bibliography, for instance:

        Active I90I-02 [Logbook of the Southampton Island Whaling Station.] Dundee: Museums and Art Galleries Department .

        Active 1902 Agreement and Account of Crew. Hayes, Middlesex: Board of Trade Section, Public Record Office (19557).

        Ernest, William 1902-10 Agreement and Account of Crew. Hayes, Middlesex: Board of Trade Section, Public Record Office (79483).

        My questions:
        How do you interpret "Hayes, Middlesex: Board of Trade Section, Public Record Office (19557)" for instance?

        Does any of this exist on microfilm (or better, digitally) do you suppose?

        I also understand the gov't of Newfoundland has many records of Scottish voyages. Do you know anything about this?

        Where are you / have you looked for the crewlist of the "Victor"?

        What's the web address for British Library's Dundee Courier holdings you mention?

        Thanks again!
        Chris

        --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Iain Birnie" <i.birnie@...> wrote:

        > Chris - the best place to look for Dundee whaler (and sealer) catches is at the Local History Library in Dundee. They have a handwritten book by a man called Ingram (collated from articles in the Dundee Advertiser I think). Lots of associated whaling stories too. Not online so a trip to God's Own City is required. Happy to have a look for you if there is something specific you need (ship and year kind of thing).
        > I've not had a chance to do a deep dive yet but the British Library now have the 19th century Dundee Courier on line. I've managed to get a fair bit of information about a Peterhead (and then Dundee) whaler The Victor from 1881. My ggg grandfather was spectioneer and his son (my gg grandfather) was a harpooner on board the year before from crew lists held in Canada. Both were born in Peterhead. Challenge now is to trace the records for 1881 to see if they were on board when she was caught in ice and lost up near Greenland.
        > Does anyone have copies of crew lists for the Victor or any ship that mention John, James or Alexander Herd (or Hird, Heard, Hurd)?
        >
        > Iain.

      • Colin Murray
        Message 3 of 28 , Jan 8, 2011
          Hi Chris

          Sent you an e-mail with several attachments.

          Colin

          --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "c" <cbaer@...> wrote:

          > Thanks, Colin!
          >
          > My interest is centered around George Cleveland, who worked for the Robert Kinnes company of Dundee with the Murray brothers of Peterhead from about 1903 until 1910. Cleveland captained the "Ernest William" after John Murray and under their management, and traveled with them to and from Dundee on the "Active". (Cleveland had been abandoned by his previous employers and was living with the Inuit near Repulse Bay until John Murray found him.) In trying to tell Cleveland's story, I need to learn more about the Murray brothers and their background. (See some of what I have at http://www.oldtimeislands.org/Cleveland )
          >
          > I'd especially love to learn more about the "Ernest William" and also about the Robert Kinnes company of Dundee and the "Active" if you have any leads. I understand there may exist a logbook to the Ernest William.
          >
          > I'd also like to be able to put together at least a capsule biography of Capt. Alexander Murray Sr. Has anyone been able to figure out his role in the search for the lost Franklin expedition, for instance?
          >
          > Thanks again-
          > Chris

        • Mary Barnes
          Message 4 of 28 , Jan 9, 2011
            Hi Wade,

            I'm glad your lists have been made available again. I think I got all I wanted out of them quite a long time ago, but who knows when I'll turn up someone new, and want to look them up? So thanks for making your data available again.

            I note that Colin Murray has made some additional contributions. I too have a great amount of Peterhead BMD data, and have been thinking that I should share it with others and wondering what is the best way to do so. It would save people the expense of paying for it on Scotland's People - which, I note, has just become more expensive.

            What's the best way of to go? Should I just post directly to this list, or would it be better to send the data to Wade, and have him add it to his lists, which would result in a more comprehensive set of data. By the way, my data consists mainly of Nicols (family of Matthew Nicol, ship master (1811-1877), and other families that married members of his family. There's also quite a number that turned out not to be related after all. It would be nice to think that the latter will not be wasted, but will be available to others.

            Mary Barnes
            marysb@...

            Mary Barnes
            marysb@...
            Message 5 of 28 , Jan 9, 2011
              Hi Mary,

              As you would be aware I started this before the Scotlandspeople site was
              around, to help make finding certificates easier and for the sharing of
              information. As you have said the index still helps in finding the correct
              certificate and hopefully save people getting certificates that they are not
              connected with. If they are in the index I'm usually able to supply people
              with either the details or copy of certificate.

              Colin has kindly provided me with a further 22 birth certificates last
              night, which I'll add to the index. I'm happy to get a copy of any
              Peterhead certificates you have and I'll add them to the indexes as well.

              Thanks,

              marysb@... <mailto:marysb%40iprimus.com.au>

              Mary Barnes
              marysb@... <mailto:marysb%40iprimus.com.au>

            • Mopar Man
              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 10, 2011
                Wade,

                Similar to Mary, I have many Peterhead BMD records that I can share with
                you. Most of them are for the Buchan and Wallace families in Peterhead.
                What's the best way to share the info?

                Matt

                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 10, 2011
                  Wade

                  Just like to add another "welcome back" ! Like so many others my early Peterhead research benefitted from the info on your original site.

                  I too have 20 or so Peterhead BDMs from my tree which I would be happy for you to add to your indexes. Would you like actual copies of the certificates or the info sent to you in index form ?

                  Regards
                  Viv
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jan 11, 2011
                    Hi Matt,

                    If you wish you can email them to me at wsb@... and I'll add them
                    to the index as well.

                    What area in Peterhead are your Buchan's from? Buchanhaven, Roanheads or
                    Burnhaven?

                    Regards,

                    Message 9 of 28 , Jan 11, 2011
                      Hi Viv,

                      Thank you.

                      If it is not too much of a problem I would love a copy of the certificates.
                      Some can be difficult to read and I'm a little use to some of the names and
                      writing by now. Also, I'm able to send people copies if I see someone like
                      Janet re: Milnes post.

                      Message 10 of 28 , Jan 11, 2011
                        Mostly from Buchanhaven. I didn't realize there were other "Buchan" areas of
                        Peterhead. Is that significant in tracing these families backwards?

                        I'll go through my BMD images in the next couple of days and shoot you a
                        bunch of emails with them.

                        Message 11 of 28 , Jan 11, 2011
                          Hi Matt,

                          Then we most likely have a connection, just let me know what branch you are
                          researching and where you are stuck at. If you have an Arthur Buchan/Bruce
                          or Strachan in the family it descends from the first to move into
                          Buchanhaven.

                          The Buchan's from Buchanhaven arrived from St.Combs, Lonmay about 1812-14
                          are mainly connected with the other two fishing families of Strachan and
                          Bruce also from Lonmay.

                          Those in Burnhaven are either later generations and those that came from
                          Crimond and Rathen, married into families like Cow, Tait, and Stephen and
                          Roanheads not so many, but some later generations.

                          Regards,

                          Wade.

                          Message 12 of 28 , Jan 12, 2011
                            Hi Wade

                            I noticed in the Peterhead deaths, that there is a James Pickard born 1801, and died 1865. Do you have any info on him?. I have been looking for his death for a while now, and could'nt believe it when i saw it. I know he was born in Sileby and came up here and married a Janet Laing. His parents are also a mystery. They are the brick wall that some of us come across. Any info would be great.

                            Thanks
                            Anne

                            To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com

                            Message 13 of 28 , Jan 12, 2011
                              Wade,

                              I sent you a collection of BMDs at the email address you listed earlier.

                              I have Buchan and Strachan members in my tree from Peterhead as well as
                              Wallace. I have , or think I have, most of those lines traced back to the
                              places they lived prior to moving to Peterhead. I'm having trouble tracing
                              beyond that as the dates are in the 1700s and the records are not very good
                              at all. If anyone has suggestions on how to perform research for people who
                              died prior to 1855 please let me know.

                              Message 14 of 28 , Jan 13, 2011
                                Just got another book through the post - Whale Hunters by Robert Smith (ISBN 0859763935), it looks like an excellent little read about the Scottish whalers right up to recent times in Antarctica, many pages and mentions of Peterhead captains inc. the Grays, Murrays etc a good selection of photos too.
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jan 14, 2011
                                  Hi Anne,

                                  Peterhead 1865 Deaths:
                                  No.173, James Pickard, Gardener married to Janet Laing, died 1865 November
                                  Twenty fourth 8h AM at Eden Cottage, male, aged 64 years, parents William
                                  Pickard, Soldier and Mary Pickard ms Farquhar (dead), cause: Unknown, no
                                  medical attendant, informant: James Pickard, Son, Present, occupier.

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jan 14, 2011
                                    Hi Wade,

                                    Thanks very much for that info. I take it the Eden Cottage mentioned is the one still on Eden Drive, at the West Road junction. I'm still having no luck with James's parents, i guess this will never be solved, its so frustrating. Thanks again

                                    Anne

                                    To: Peterhead@yahoogroups.com

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jan 25, 2011
                                      Hi Colin,

                                      I was pleasantly surprised to read your recent post re the Murray
                                      Whaling Captains. I'm related to Captain Alexander Murray Sr - he was my
                                      GGG Father (Helen Murray, his daughter, was my GG Mother).

                                      Can you do me a big favour and send me any information you might have
                                      about Alexander Murray Sr?

                                      Thanks,

                                      Steve McPherson

                                      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "cdamurray" <colin.d.a.murray@...>
                                      wrote:

                                      > Hi Chris,
                                      >
                                      > My family -
                                      >
                                      > Alexander Murray b. Peterhead 28th December, 1828 - d. 7 Maiden
                                      Street, Peterhead, 26th July, 1894 - GGG Uncle.

                                      > Alexander Murray b. Peterhead 21st May, 1860 - d. Whaler Active,
                                      Gilmour Island, Ottawa Islands, Nanuvat, Canada, 11th November, 1912 -
                                      1st cousin x 3.

                                      > John William Murray b. 25 Union Street, Saint Nicholas, Aberdeen 22nd
                                      July, 1868 - d. Scroggieside, Wormit on Tay, Forgan, Fife, 30th May,
                                      1948 - 1st cousin x 3.

                                      > Starters for 10 if you haven't already seen them:
                                      >
                                      > When the Whalers Were Up North: Inuit Memories from the Eastern Arctic
                                      >
                                      > By Dorothy Eber
                                      >
                                      > ISBN-10: 0773507027
                                      > ISBN-13: 978-0773507029
                                      >
                                      > And
                                      >
                                      > Last of the Whaling Captains
                                      >
                                      > By Capt. G. V. CLARK
                                      >
                                      > ISBN 978-0-85174-498-8
                                      >
                                      > Regards
                                      >
                                      > Colin Murray

                                    • iain.birnie
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Mar 19 6:02 AM
                                        Chris - I'm really sorry I haven't been able to respond to you before on this.
                                        Answers to your questions..

                                        Active - if the Dundee Museum has it then I can look at it for you.

                                        --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "c" <cbaer@...> wrote:

                                        > Thanks, Iain!
                                        >
                                        > I'd absolutely love to visit the libraries in Dundee, but alas I'm on the other side of the globe for the time being (although I have great memories of spending a couple of months in Scotland in the 1980s!) One day, though, I hope!
                                        >
                                        > I'm very much interested in trying to nail down a list of whaling and trading voyages from Scotland into Hudson Bay during the late 1890s and early 1900s, and specifically trying to find the whereabouts of any logs and/or crewlists of the Ernest William, and Active between 1900-1912 or so.
                                        >
                                        > I found these references in a 1977 bibliography, for instance:
                                        >
                                        > Active I90I-02 [Logbook of the Southampton Island Whaling Station.] Dundee: Museums and Art Galleries Department .
                                        >
                                        > Active 1902 Agreement and Account of Crew. Hayes, Middlesex: Board of Trade Section, Public Record Office (19557).
                                        >
                                        > Ernest, William 1902-10 Agreement and Account of Crew. Hayes, Middlesex: Board of Trade Section, Public Record Office (79483).
                                        >
                                        > My questions:
                                        > How do you interpret "Hayes, Middlesex: Board of Trade Section, Public Record Office (19557)" for instance?
                                        >
                                        > Does any of this exist on microfilm (or better, digitally) do you suppose?
                                        >
                                        > I also understand the gov't of Newfoundland has many records of Scottish voyages. Do you know anything about this?
                                        >
                                        > Where are you / have you looked for the crewlist of the "Victor"?
                                        >
                                        > What's the web address for British Library's Dundee Courier holdings you mention?
                                        >
                                        > Thanks again!
                                        > Chris
                                        >

                                        > --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Iain Birnie" <i.birnie@> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > Chris - the best place to look for Dundee whaler (and sealer) catches is at the Local History Library in Dundee. They have a handwritten book by a man called Ingram (collated from articles in the Dundee Advertiser I think). Lots of associated whaling stories too. Not online so a trip to God's Own City is required. Happy to have a look for you if there is something specific you need (ship and year kind of thing).
                                        > > I've not had a chance to do a deep dive yet but the British Library now have the 19th century Dundee Courier on line. I've managed to get a fair bit of information about a Peterhead (and then Dundee) whaler The Victor from 1881. My ggg grandfather was spectioneer and his son (my gg grandfather) was a harpooner on board the year before from crew lists held in Canada. Both were born in Peterhead. Challenge now is to trace the records for 1881 to see if they were on board when she was caught in ice and lost up near Greenland.
                                        > > Does anyone have copies of crew lists for the Victor or any ship that mention John, James or Alexander Herd (or Hird, Heard, Hurd)?
                                        > >
                                        > > Iain.

                                      • iain.birnie
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Mar 19 6:32 AM
                                          Take 2 - I'm an IT professional with sticky fingers honest!

                                          The references to Public Records Office - could they mean the UK National Archives.? They do have some records but precious little on line. Try this http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/ They have the Victor crewlist transcribed from 1881. Worth a look.

                                          Since I wrote my original response I've tracked down my boys on the Victor, The Thetis and the Intrepid (all Dundee Whalers). Alexander Herd also sailed on the Dart and the Nairnshire from Fraserburgh to the Baltic. Each of these records came from the University of Newfoundland http://www.mun.ca/mha/ Be prepared to put your hand in your pocket but worth every penny. Great service. They will photograph the records for you and the ones I've seen are superb.

                                          The best place to start on all of this is the Crew List Index Project. http://www.crewlist.org.uk/data/BT99.php . They have put some records up onto Findmypast.com which if you strike it lucky (which I did with the Dart)this opens up possibilities to get other records from Canada, The National Archives or the National Maritime museum. Each of the records lists the previous ship the sailor sailed on so if there isn't a missing crew list you can daisy chain your way back in time - that's the theory anyway!
                                          I've had a wee look and the Active (Official Number 19557)seems to have some records - not in Canada thou if I'm reading it right. Ernest William (ON 79483) is also listed so there might be some records somewhere for you.
                                          Happy hunting!

                                          The Dundee Courier records are recently up on line. I've accessed them via Dundee City Council's website but have had to put in my local library reference number to get through to them. Not sure how you would do it. Here is the link though...

                                          http://www.dundeecity.gov.uk/library/onlinedatabases

                                          I think this answers your questions but if not please come back to me. I promise it wont be a cople of months next time!