Re; James Rankin

  • William Leslie
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 28, 1999
      Hello Wade;
      While you are looking up seamen, one of my great grandfathers fro
      Peterhead was James Rankin of Peterhead, 1845 to 1921. He also had a
      son or brother Alexander, I believe, lost in a ship off Vancouver.
      Regards
      William Leslie
    • nasco@adelphia.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 31, 2001
        I think we have a family connection. Must be cousins.

        My grandfather who died in 1936 was also a James Rankin of
        Peterhead. My mother's brother was Alex Rankin. After talking with
        my mother we have concluded that your great grandfather James Rankin
        is also my great grandfather. My mother's cousin was Alexander B
        Rankin who was lost at sea off Vancouver.

        My mother's Aunt married a Leslie and had a family of several very
        nice looking girls and their son who left on his bicycle when he was
        14 and wasn't heard from for many years. She thinks it was when he
        got married that he sent a photograph. He had been in South America
        for a period of time. The son who ran away had 2 daughters and when
        they were young girls they came to Peterhead on a holiday. The
        family had wild animals for pets - there was an article in the Buchan
        Observer about that. There was a sister of the boy who ran away -
        Fannie Leslie.

        I a photo of the Stone from the Peterhead Cemetery that may interest
        you.

        It reads,
        Erected by James and Janet Rankin
        Roanheads Peterhead
        In memory of their dearly beloved son,
        Alexander B Rankin
        Age 25 years
        Carpenter on the Sailing Ship
        Gulf Stream of Glasgow
        which perished with all hands
        on a voyage to Vancouver in 1914
        The above James Rankin
        died 27 July 1921
        Age 76 years
        The above Janet Walker
        Died april 20th 1925
        aged 78 years

        Here's another family stone reading:

        Erected
        by
        James Rankin Seaman
        In memory of his Daughter Jane who died 22nd
        1865 In Infancy
        Also Marhew who died
        August 1859 in her 3rd year
        Also Father Thomas Rankin