ALEXANDER MURRAY

  • Alex
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 7, 2011
      Hi Folks, I have some information on the Murrays which you may or may not know :

      Here's what I have on Alexander Murray Sr.
      (Certificate of Competency : c2870 Aberdeen 1866)
      Born : c1830
      Married : Helen Thom on January 29th.1852
      Residences :
      1861 - 25/2 Seagate
      1881 7 Maiden Street : "Shipmaster at Greenland" (50), Helen Murray (Wife - 47)
      1891 - 7 Maiden Street (Wife Helen (47) Widow ?)
      Vessels :
      Queen 1863
      Alert 1863
      Ocean Star 1865
      Lord Saltoun 1866
      Sir Colin Campbell 1868

      Alexander Murray Jnr. (Certificate of Competency 017988 Aberdeen 1890)
      John William MUrray (Cert. of Competency 024747 Aberdeen 1898)

      Vessels (All DUNDEE vessels) :
      Erik (Built Dundee 1865, sold to Peterhead 1883)
      Ernest William (Built Hull 1879, wrecked Kekerten 1913)
      Balaena (Built Norway 1872, sold to Liverpool 1916)
      Albert (Built Yarmouth 1889, sold to Peterhead 1908)

      The website "Forgotten Story of Inuit Whalers" (inuitwhalers.ca) has information on all three of the Murrays.
      Two other books which might be of interest:
      WHALEHUNTERS by Malcolm Archibald (ISBN 1-84183-065-8)
      THE DUNDEE WHALERS by Norman Watson (ISBN 1-86232-207-4)

      Hope this information is helpful.
      Alex Ritchie
    • Colin Murray
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 7, 2011
        Hi Alex

        Thanks for that, I have all of the available geneaological information on the entire family and it is mainly the ships and Certs that I need clarification of, for JW Murray in the book on his career (Last of the Whaling Captains) there is a complete breakdown of his ships/ranks/dates.
        Getting a bit of new information overload at the moment with updates and back-ups but keep it coming ideally apart from birth/death/marriage/census certs I am lacking electronic copies of most other things, are they available?

        Got the two books mentioned and I think that I have seen most websites with reference, and as mentioned in the other thread 'The Scotsman' newspaper archives have been an excellent source of 'on the spot' information for all things whaling and Scotland.

        Colin Murray