Re: [Peterhead] Alexander Mathew

  • Mary Barnes
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 4, 2010
      Hi Alex,

      I have Matthew Nicol's will and testament, and the inventory of his assets at the time of his death. At that time he owned only the 8/64 share of the Express, but newspaper reports of his death indicated that he had previously been part-owner of other vessels.

      Thanks for the advice about checking the Aberdeen Registers of shipping. I will be visiting Aberdeen next year, and will make a point of arranging to look at them. I do know that the "Express" was launched in March 1875, built by carnegie and Matthews of Peterhead. However, I doubt that she ever sailed from Aberdeen. The Peterhead Arrivals and Sailings Register shows her arriving from, and departing for, ports in the Baltic, the North of England and the Firth of Forth, but never Aberdeen.

      Mary Barnes
      marysb@...
    • alex-jean Ritchie
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 5, 2010
        Hi Mary,

        I still think that the "EXPRESS" will have used
        Aberdeen at some point, whether to take on crew or whatever.

        I think the Aberdeen Registers of Shipping would
        still be worth looking at since you're going to be in Aberdeen anyway.

        Alex Ritchie

        I have Matthew Nicol's will and testament, and the inventory of his
        assets at the time of his death. At that time he owned only the 8/64
        share of the Express, but newspaper reports of his death indicated that
        he had previously been part-owner of other vessels.

        Thanks for the advice about checking the Aberdeen Registers of shipping.
        I will be visiting Aberdeen next year, and will make a point of
        arranging to look at them. I do know that the "Express" was launched in
        March 1875, built by carnegie and Matthews of Peterhead. However, I
        doubt that she ever sailed from Aberdeen. The Peterhead Arrivals and
        Sailings Register shows her arriving from, and departing for, ports in
        the Baltic, the North of England and the Firth of Forth, but never
        Aberdeen.

        Mary Barnes
        marysb@... <mailto:marysb%40iprimus.com.au>

      • chick mathew
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 6, 2010
          Thanks Alex, we have been in contact before and I have this information, what I'm trying to find out is how Alexander died and if he left a wife and family. It is just another brickwall I've hit, still will keep trying.
              cheers Chick