RE: [Peterhead] Alexander Mathew

  • alex-jean Ritchie
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 4, 2010
      Hi Mary,

      I picked some ownership details from searching
      Wills (plus some other sources).

      Did you check Matthew Nicol's Will & Testament,
      and Inventory of goods. There might be details there of any other ships
      he had shares in.

      As far as other owners of shares in "EXPRESS",
      the best route would be through the Aberdeen Registers of Shipping which
      are housed at the City Archives, Townhouse, Aberdeen.

      If we got the launch date, the "EXPRESS" would almost certainly be in
      those Registers since the vessel is very likely to have used the port of
      Aberdeen at various times. The Registers of Shipping detail all the
      owners and when/if a vessel changed ownership. Unfortunately, I live
      about 200 miles from Aberdeen so I couldn't offer to look for you.
      However, maybe some other subscriber might be able to look for you. You
      have to make an appointment to visit the Archives and it's only open
      certain days.

      I do occasionally go up to Peterhead, but I have
      no immediate plans in the near future.

      Hope someone might be able to help
      you.......Alex Ritchie

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 4, 2010
        Hi Alex,

        I have Matthew Nicol's will and testament, and the inventory of his assets at the time of his death. At that time he owned only the 8/64 share of the Express, but newspaper reports of his death indicated that he had previously been part-owner of other vessels.

        Thanks for the advice about checking the Aberdeen Registers of shipping. I will be visiting Aberdeen next year, and will make a point of arranging to look at them. I do know that the "Express" was launched in March 1875, built by carnegie and Matthews of Peterhead. However, I doubt that she ever sailed from Aberdeen. The Peterhead Arrivals and Sailings Register shows her arriving from, and departing for, ports in the Baltic, the North of England and the Firth of Forth, but never Aberdeen.

        Mary Barnes
        marysb@...
      • alex-jean Ritchie
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 5, 2010
          Hi Mary,

          I still think that the "EXPRESS" will have used
          Aberdeen at some point, whether to take on crew or whatever.

          I think the Aberdeen Registers of Shipping would
          still be worth looking at since you're going to be in Aberdeen anyway.

          Alex Ritchie

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 6, 2010
            Thanks Alex, we have been in contact before and I have this information, what I'm trying to find out is how Alexander died and if he left a wife and family. It is just another brickwall I've hit, still will keep trying.
                cheers Chick