Alexander Mathew

  • Alex
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 1, 2010
      For Chick :

      I have the following vessel ownership for Alexander Mathew :

      Helen H (3/64 shares)
      Theseus of London (2/64 shares)

      Hope that helps a little.

      Alex Ritchie
    • Mary Barnes
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 2, 2010
        Hi Alex,

        It looks as though you have access to details of the ownership of Peterhead-registered vessels.

        I wonder if you can throw any light on some questions about my g-grandfather Matthew Nicol, Peterhead shipmaster? I know from his will and inventory that, at the time of his death in May 1877, Matthew Nicol owned 8/64 of the schooner Express. However, a report of his death in a local newspaper said that he was "for many years ... master and part owner of several trading vessels". I am wondering if it is possible to find out which other vessels he had a share in, and when. Also, is it possible to find out who were the other owners of the Express in 1877?

        Thanks.

        Mary

        On 01/09/2010, at 8:25 PM, Alex wrote:

        > For Chick :
        >
        > I have the following vessel ownership for Alexander Mathew :
        >
        > Helen H (3/64 shares)
        > Theseus of London (2/64 shares)
        >
        > Hope that helps a little.
        >
        > Alex Ritchie

        Mary Barnes
        marysb@...
      • alex-jean Ritchie
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 4, 2010
          Hi Mary,

          I picked some ownership details from searching
          Wills (plus some other sources).

          Did you check Matthew Nicol's Will & Testament,
          and Inventory of goods. There might be details there of any other ships
          he had shares in.

          As far as other owners of shares in "EXPRESS",
          the best route would be through the Aberdeen Registers of Shipping which
          are housed at the City Archives, Townhouse, Aberdeen.

          If we got the launch date, the "EXPRESS" would almost certainly be in
          those Registers since the vessel is very likely to have used the port of
          Aberdeen at various times. The Registers of Shipping detail all the
          owners and when/if a vessel changed ownership. Unfortunately, I live
          about 200 miles from Aberdeen so I couldn't offer to look for you.
          However, maybe some other subscriber might be able to look for you. You
          have to make an appointment to visit the Archives and it's only open
          certain days.

          I do occasionally go up to Peterhead, but I have
          no immediate plans in the near future.

          Hope someone might be able to help
          you.......Alex Ritchie

          It looks as though you have access to details of the ownership of
          Peterhead-registered vessels.

          I wonder if you can throw any light on some questions about my
          g-grandfather Matthew Nicol, Peterhead shipmaster? I know from his will
          and inventory that, at the time of his death in May 1877, Matthew Nicol
          owned 8/64 of the schooner Express. However, a report of his death in a
          local newspaper said that he was "for many years ... master and part
          owner of several trading vessels". I am wondering if it is possible to
          find out which other vessels he had a share in, and when. Also, is it
          possible to find out who were the other owners of the Express in 1877?

          Thanks.

          Mary

          On 01/09/2010, at 8:25 PM, Alex wrote:

          > For Chick :
          >
          > I have the following vessel ownership for Alexander Mathew :
          >
          > Helen H (3/64 shares)
          > Theseus of London (2/64 shares)
          >
          > Hope that helps a little.
          >
          > Alex Ritchie

          Mary Barnes
          marysb@... <mailto:marysb%40iprimus.com.au>

        • Mary Barnes
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 4, 2010
            Hi Alex,

            I have Matthew Nicol's will and testament, and the inventory of his assets at the time of his death. At that time he owned only the 8/64 share of the Express, but newspaper reports of his death indicated that he had previously been part-owner of other vessels.

            Thanks for the advice about checking the Aberdeen Registers of shipping. I will be visiting Aberdeen next year, and will make a point of arranging to look at them. I do know that the "Express" was launched in March 1875, built by carnegie and Matthews of Peterhead. However, I doubt that she ever sailed from Aberdeen. The Peterhead Arrivals and Sailings Register shows her arriving from, and departing for, ports in the Baltic, the North of England and the Firth of Forth, but never Aberdeen.

            Mary Barnes
            marysb@...
          • alex-jean Ritchie
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 5, 2010
              Hi Mary,

              I still think that the "EXPRESS" will have used
              Aberdeen at some point, whether to take on crew or whatever.

              I think the Aberdeen Registers of Shipping would
              still be worth looking at since you're going to be in Aberdeen anyway.

              Alex Ritchie

              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 6, 2010
                Thanks Alex, we have been in contact before and I have this information, what I'm trying to find out is how Alexander died and if he left a wife and family. It is just another brickwall I've hit, still will keep trying.
                    cheers Chick