George Simpson

  • Alex
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 23, 2010
      Some time ago Malcolm (Simpson) and I speculated about a connection between George Simpson & Andrew Simpson. I wrote :

      Keep in mind also Andrew Simpson who married Elizabeth Martin (sister of John Martin Jnr.) in 1828. When they married he was listed as a "seaman in North Shields" but their daughters were certainly born in Peterhead.They had two daughters, Jean Innes Simpson (b.1829) and Elizabeth Martin Simpson (b.1831).
      Based upon the first daughter's name, Andrew Simpson would be related to George Simpson (perhaps a brother ?). Trouble is, I can't find any trace of this family after the 1831 birth. I have tried records in England & Australia without success.they must have gone somewhere !!

      Subsequently I discovered that Andrew Simpson, Elizabeth Martin & family moved to, and lived in Tynemouth (English Census Records) the rest of their lives. If Andrew Simpson came from that area ( and it's only an "if"), then George Simpson himself may have actually come from North-East England.

      I've always thought it curious that, on the family gravestone, George Simpson mentions his mother (Margaret Buchan) but makes no mention of his father.

      Alex Ritchie
    • David Britt
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 23, 2010
        Thanks Alex.. I knew from past experience that you were the go-to-person for
        Ship's Masters..  All the best... db

        ________________________________
[...]

      • ogstonfamilyresearcher
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 23, 2010
          Hi Alex,

          So I decided to google Andrew Simpson and to my surprise I came across your article that you wrote for the Family History Society of Buchan Spring 2009 Newsletter - well done!

          I have also found where there were many many XXXX Innes Simpson born through out the UK - so I dont think we can go by the name Innes as a connection to the same family.

          But in saying that I did find this so far about Andrew.
          Name: Andrew Simpson
          Gender: Male
          Baptism/Christening Date: 29 Jan 1792
          Baptism/Christening Place: Christ Church, Tynemouth, Northumberland, England
          Father's Name: Andrew Simpson
          Mother's Name: Margaret
          Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C02173-5
          System Origin: England-EASy
          Source Film Number: 1068907
          Reference Number: item 4
          Collection: England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975

          I wish they listed his mothers full name!! I wonder if it was Buchanan - I have not foudn a marriage for them as of yet.

          Name: Jean Innes Simpson
          Gender: Female
          Baptism/Christening Date: 16 Aug 1829
          Baptism/Christening Place: PETERHEAD,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
          Father's Name: Andrew Simpson
          Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11232-5
          System Origin: Scotland-ODM
          Source Film Number: 993353
          Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

          Name: Margaret Innis Simpson
          Gender: Female
          Baptism/Christening Date: 02 Oct 1836
          Baptism/Christening Place: CHRIST CHURCH, TYNEMOUTH, NORTHUMBERLAND, ENGLAND
          Father's Name: Andrew Simpson
          Mother's Name: Elizabeth
          Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C15597-5
          System Origin: England-ODM
          Source Film Number: 1068908
          Collection: England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975

          Cheers
          Susan