Re: re George Simpson,Peterhead shipmaster.

  • ogstonfamilyresearcher
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 22, 2010
      Hi David!

      Fantastic work! Keep going!

      Cheers
      Susan

      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, David Britt <mpexota@...> wrote:

      > Hello Susan.. I can account for at least one of your George Simpsons
      >
      > John Simpson b. 10 Apr 1763 (Crossfield) Midmar to William Simpson and Helen
      > Bannerman
      >    + Jane Fyfe b. c1766 Dysart, Fife
      >           Elspet Simpson b. 20 Jul 1793 Midmar
      >           John b. 16 Jul 1794 Midmar
      >           George b. 26 Jan 1797 Midmar
      >
      > A George Simpson b. c1794 Midmar appears in the 1851 Census as a "Carter" at 33
      > Causeway End, Aberdeen married to Janet b. c1799 Forres, Morayshire and Son
      > William b. c1842 in Aberdeen.  This is the only George Simpson from Midmar that
      > I could find so with a leap of faith, one can assume it is the one listed
      > above.  At least your field of Geo Simpsons is now lessened.  Regards   db
    • ogstonfamilyresearcher
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 22, 2010
        Hi David,

        This is wonderful! Thank you so much for your help! I wish that Scotland was as open with their records as England is. It would sure make life easier!!!

        I have not found a source online for a full OPR FREE listing for Aberdeenshire - do you know of one?

        Cheers
        Susan

        --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, David Britt <mpexota@...> wrote:

        > Susan.. Another George accounted for????    According to the Strathdon OPRs this
        > Geo matches one you had listed.
        >
        > George Simpson, farmer (single)
        > 1867 March fifteenth 3h 50m PM Wester Skellater
        > M: 76 years
        > parents: George Simpson, farmer (deceased) & Margaret Simpson ms Michie
        > (deceased)
        > cause: Chronic hepatitis, 12 months; Jaundice, asthenia.  As certified by
        > Alexander Profeit Surgeon, Towie
        > informant: James Shaw nephew (present)
        > 1867 March 16th at Strathdon.  James Wattie Registrar
      • David Britt
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 22, 2010
          Susan.. Since I came into this thread late; Have you heard from Alex Ritchie.
          If anyone can help you with a Shipmaster it's Alex.  A search of previous
          threads from him has:

          GEORGE SIMPSON

          One of Peterhead’s most successful whaling captains. He owned and died
          in command of the “Industry” on her maiden voyage to the Baltic with a
          cargo of herring. His son George was a crew member on this voyage. He
          was buried at Stettin.

          Born : c1790

          Cheers.. db