re George Simpson,Peterhead shipmaster.

  • Malcolm Simpson
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 22, 2010
      Hi Susan,
      You have certainly been busy with George Simpsons'.As I said in a previous message-- Simpson was a very common name in the North East of Scotland.His Mother was definitely Margaret Buchan and we believe he had a brother Andrew Simpson.
      I see a John Ogston and a A.Ogston were Whaling shipmasters in the Peterhead fleets.Were they part of your family tree?
      Happy trawling.Malcolm.

    • David Britt
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 22, 2010
        Hello Susan.. I can account for at least one of your George Simpsons

        John Simpson b. 10 Apr 1763 (Crossfield) Midmar to William Simpson and Helen
        Bannerman
           + Jane Fyfe b. c1766 Dysart, Fife
                  Elspet Simpson b. 20 Jul 1793 Midmar
                  John b. 16 Jul 1794 Midmar
                  George b. 26 Jan 1797 Midmar

        A George Simpson b. c1794 Midmar appears in the 1851 Census as a "Carter" at 33
        Causeway End, Aberdeen married to Janet b. c1799 Forres, Morayshire and Son
        William b. c1842 in Aberdeen.  This is the only George Simpson from Midmar that
        I could find so with a leap of faith, one can assume it is the one listed
        above.  At least your field of Geo Simpsons is now lessened.  Regards   db

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 22, 2010
          Susan.. Another George accounted for????    According to the Strathdon OPRs this
          Geo matches one you had listed.

          George Simpson, farmer (single)
          1867 March fifteenth 3h 50m PM Wester Skellater
          M: 76 years
          parents: George Simpson, farmer (deceased) & Margaret Simpson ms Michie
          (deceased)
          cause: Chronic hepatitis, 12 months; Jaundice, asthenia.  As certified by
          Alexander Profeit Surgeon, Towie
          informant: James Shaw nephew (present)
          1867 March 16th at Strathdon.  James Wattie Registrar

          ________________________________

          You have certainly been busy with George Simpsons'.As I said in a previous
          message-- Simpson was a very common name in the North East of Scotland.His
          Mother was definitely Margaret Buchan and we believe he had a brother Andrew
          Simpson.
          I see a John Ogston and a A.Ogston were Whaling shipmasters in the Peterhead
          fleets.Were they part of your family tree?
          Happy trawling.Malcolm.

        • ogstonfamilyresearcher
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 22, 2010
            Hi Malcolm,

            I love a good challenge and finding out about George is defintely one! Hahaha

            Regarding the Ogston line - those men are not directly related to me. My great grandfather, William Ogston, was born in Old Deer and moved to Peterhead. He was a newspaper reporter.

            When I went to Scotland back in 1998 and traipsed through the graveyards, I also went into the Peterhead Librabry searching for his byline in the newspaper. Unfortunately they did not have bylines back then. I was able to get a copy of my grandmothers birth notice though - that was nice!

            One very interesting thing I had found in the local paper on microfilm was that a local newspaper reporter was down in London and was put in jail overnight. He was out past curfew. Unfortunately they had not printed the reporters name. I dint think much of it at the time - but then it dawned on me. The reporter went down to London most likely to see if he could solve the BIG MYSTERY at that time. "Jack the Ripper" I sure wish I could find out if that reporter was my great granddad.

            Cheers
            Susan

            --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Malcolm Simpson" <malcolm.simpson@...> wrote:

            > Hi Susan,
            > You have certainly been busy with George Simpsons'.As I said in a previous message-- Simpson was a very common name in the North East of Scotland.His Mother was definitely Margaret Buchan and we believe he had a brother Andrew Simpson.
            > I see a John Ogston and a A.Ogston were Whaling shipmasters in the Peterhead fleets.Were they part of your family tree?
            > Happy trawling.Malcolm.

          • ogstonfamilyresearcher
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 22, 2010
              Hi David!

              Fantastic work! Keep going!

              Cheers
              Susan

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 22, 2010
                Hi David,

                This is wonderful! Thank you so much for your help! I wish that Scotland was as open with their records as England is. It would sure make life easier!!!

                I have not found a source online for a full OPR FREE listing for Aberdeenshire - do you know of one?

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 22, 2010
                  Susan.. Since I came into this thread late; Have you heard from Alex Ritchie.
                  If anyone can help you with a Shipmaster it's Alex.  A search of previous
                  threads from him has:

                  GEORGE SIMPSON

                  One of Peterhead’s most successful whaling captains. He owned and died
                  in command of the “Industry” on her maiden voyage to the Baltic with a
                  cargo of herring. His son George was a crew member on this voyage. He
                  was buried at Stettin.

                  Born : c1790

                  Cheers.. db