Re: George SIMPSON, Shipmaster

  • ogstonfamilyresearcher
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 21, 2010
      Hi Malcolm and David,

      So I went looking to see if I could find any other possibilities for our George Simpson. This is what I have found.

      Name: George Simpson
      Gender: Male
      Baptism/Christening Date: 14 Feb 1785
      Baptism/Christening Place: SAINT NICHOLAS,ABERDEEN,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
      Father's Name: John Simpson
      Mother's Name: Reid Walker
      Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11168-7
      System Origin: Scotland-ODM
      Source Film Number: 991137
      Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

      Name: George Simpson
      Gender: Male
      Baptism/Christening Date: 23 May 1785
      Baptism/Christening Place: SAINT NICHOLAS,ABERDEEN,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
      Father's Name: Joseph Simpson
      Mother's Name: Frances Burnett
      Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11168-7
      System Origin: Scotland-ODM
      Source Film Number: 991137
      Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

      Name: George Simpson
      Gender: Male
      Baptism/Christening Date: 04 Sep 1787
      Baptism/Christening Place: OLD MACHAR,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
      Father's Name: William Simpson
      Mother's Name: Jean Webster
      Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11906-4
      System Origin: Scotland-ODM
      Source Film Number: 991206
      Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

      Name: George Simpson
      Gender: Male
      Baptism/Christening Date: 02 Oct 1788
      Baptism/Christening Place: STRATHDON,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
      Father's Name: John Simpson
      Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11240-5
      System Origin: Scotland-ODM
      Source Film Number: 993299
      Reference Number:
      Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

      Name: George Simpson
      Gender: Male
      Baptism/Christening Date: 11 Nov 1792
      Baptism/Christening Place: OLD MACHAR,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
      Father's Name: George Simpson
      Mother's Name: Agnes Forbes
      Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11906-4
      System Origin: Scotland-ODM
      Source Film Number: 991206
      Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

      Name: George Simpson
      Gender: Male
      Baptism/Christening Date: 09 Oct 1793
      Baptism/Christening Place: SAINT NICHOLAS,ABERDEEN,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
      Father's Name: Peter Simpson
      Mother's Name: Katharine Garden
      Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11168-7
      System Origin: Scotland-ODM
      Source Film Number: 991137
      Reference Number:
      Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

      Name: George Simpson
      Gender: Male
      Baptism/Christening Date: 20 Jul 1798
      Baptism/Christening Place: ELLON,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
      Father's Name: Alexander Simpson
      Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11192-4
      System Origin: Scotland-ODM
      Source Film Number: 993181
      Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

      Name: George Simpson
      Gender: Male
      Baptism/Christening Date: 29 Jun 1799
      Baptism/Christening Place: ELLON,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
      Father's Name: George Simpson
      Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11192-4
      System Origin: Scotland-ODM
      Source Film Number: 993181
      Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

      Name: George Simpson
      Gender: Male
      Baptism/Christening Date: 02 Feb 1799
      Baptism/Christening Place: BIRSE,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
      Father's Name: John Simpson
      Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11175-2
      System Origin: Scotland-ODM
      Source Film Number: 991258
      Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

      Any ideas on how to select with one is the George Simpson that was the shipmaster in Peterhead?

      Cheers
      Susan

      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Malcolm Simpson" <malcolm.simpson@...> wrote:

      > Hi David,
      > I don't think there is any connections between our two Simpsons.I wish there were but the surname Simpson is very common in the North East of Scotland.
      > Best of luck, Malcolm Simpson.

    • ogstonfamilyresearcher
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 21, 2010
        Hi Malcolm and David,

        Missed a couple – here is the new list – in order for dates between 1770-1799 for Aberdeenshire for George Simpson. TOO MANY to choose from!

[...]

        Baptism/Christening Date: 22 Sep 1791
        Baptism/Christening Place: STRATHDON,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
        Father's Name: George Simpson
        Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11240-5
        System Origin: Scotland-ODM
        Source Film Number: 993299
        Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

        Name: George Simpson
        Gender: Male
        Baptism/Christening Date: 11 Nov 1792
        Baptism/Christening Place: OLD MACHAR,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
        Father's Name: George Simpson
        Mother's Name: Agnes Forbes
        Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11906-4
        System Origin: Scotland-ODM
        Source Film Number: 991206
        Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

        Name: George Simpson
        Gender: Male
        Baptism/Christening Date:
        Baptism/Christening Place:
        Birth Date: 15 Mar 1798
        Birthplace: CAIRNIE BY HUNTLY,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
        Father's Name: John Simpson
        Mother's Name: Jean Gaw
        Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11178-4
        System Origin: Scotland-ODM
        Source Film Number: 993482
        Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

        Name: Geo. Simpson
        Gender: Male
        Baptism/Christening Date: 21 Mar 1793
        Baptism/Christening Place: CAIRNIE BY HUNTLY,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
        Father's Name: George Simpson
        Mother's Name: Isobel Milne
        Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11178-4
        System Origin: Scotland-ODM
        Source Film Number: 993482
        Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

        Name: George Simpson
        Gender: Male
        Baptism/Christening Date: 09 Oct 1793
        Baptism/Christening Place: SAINT NICHOLAS,ABERDEEN,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
        Father's Name: Peter Simpson
        Mother's Name: Katharine Garden
        Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11168-7
        System Origin: Scotland-ODM
        Source Film Number: 991137
        Reference Number:
        Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

        Name: George Simpson
        Gender: Male
        Baptism/Christening Date: 19 Apr 1794
        Baptism/Christening Place: KING EDWARD,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
        Birth Date: 12 Apr 1794
        Father's Name: Alexr. Simpson
        Mother's Name: Janet Gall
        Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11210-2
        System Origin: Scotland-ODM
        Source Film Number: 993334
        Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

        Name: George Simpson
        Gender: Male
        Baptism/Christening Date: 16 Apr 1794
        Baptism/Christening Place: SLAINS,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
        Birth Date: 15 Apr 1794
        Father's Name: George Simpson
        Mother's Name: Jean Kelly
        Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11239-5
        System Origin: Scotland-ODM
        Source Film Number: 993361
        Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

        Name: George Simpson
        Gender: Male
        Baptism/Christening Date: 26 Jan 1797
        Baptism/Christening Place: MIDMAR,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
        Father's Name: John Simpson
        Mother's Name: Jane Fyfe
        Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11222-2
        System Origin: Scotland-ODM
        Source Film Number: 993344
[...]

      • Alison Kennedy
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 21, 2010
          I don't want to disappoint you but for every birth / baptism which you have
          found there are at least the same number whose birth / baptism either wasn't
          registered or the record has not survived the intervening years.  Unless (or
          until) you have got some form of proof as to George's parents I'm afraid that
          you have just reached a brick wall in your research, one that you might not
          possibly resolve.  Try checking census records and see if the family ever had
          relatives (of George) living with them who may have survived past 1855 and whose
          death (or marriage) certificates may give some assistance, or try checking other
          Simpson records to see if you can find a connection to your George through
          witnesses or informants.

          Regards

          Alison

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 21, 2010
            Hi Alison,

            I know you are quite right and I thank you for your response. But optimism is my middle name and brick walls were meant to tumble down! haha And who knows - maybe some kind soul out there will have the information I am looking for and post it.

            Cheers
            Susan

            --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, Alison Kennedy <alison2kennedy@...> wrote:

            > I don't want to disappoint you but for every birth / baptism which you have
            > found there are at least the same number whose birth / baptism either wasn't
            > registered or the record has not survived the intervening years.  Unless (or
            > until) you have got some form of proof as to George's parents I'm afraid that
            > you have just reached a brick wall in your research, one that you might not
            > possibly resolve.  Try checking census records and see if the family ever had
            > relatives (of George) living with them who may have survived past 1855 and whose
            > death (or marriage) certificates may give some assistance, or try checking other
            > Simpson records to see if you can find a connection to your George through
            > witnesses or informants.
            >
            > Regards
            >
            > Alison

          • ogstonfamilyresearcher
            Message 5 of 22 , Jul 12, 2011
              Malcolm - please contact me at familyhunter57(at)gmail.com. I have found more information on our growing Simpson family!!!