Re: [Peterhead] Re: George SIMPSON, Shipmaster

  • Malcolm Simpson
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 17, 2010
      Hi David,
      I don't think there is any connections between our two Simpsons.I wish there were but the surname Simpson is very common in the North East of Scotland.
      Best of luck, Malcolm Simpson.
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 21, 2010
        Hi Malcolm and David,

        So I went looking to see if I could find any other possibilities for our George Simpson. This is what I have found.

        Name: George Simpson
        Gender: Male
        Baptism/Christening Date: 14 Feb 1785
        Baptism/Christening Place: SAINT NICHOLAS,ABERDEEN,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
        Father's Name: John Simpson
        Mother's Name: Reid Walker
        Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11168-7
        System Origin: Scotland-ODM
        Source Film Number: 991137
        Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

        Name: George Simpson
        Gender: Male
        Baptism/Christening Date: 23 May 1785
        Baptism/Christening Place: SAINT NICHOLAS,ABERDEEN,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
        Father's Name: Joseph Simpson
        Mother's Name: Frances Burnett
        Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11168-7
        System Origin: Scotland-ODM
        Source Film Number: 991137
        Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

        Name: George Simpson
        Gender: Male
        Baptism/Christening Date: 04 Sep 1787
        Baptism/Christening Place: OLD MACHAR,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
        Father's Name: William Simpson
        Mother's Name: Jean Webster
        Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11906-4
        System Origin: Scotland-ODM
        Source Film Number: 991206
        Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

        Name: George Simpson
        Gender: Male
        Baptism/Christening Date: 02 Oct 1788
        Baptism/Christening Place: STRATHDON,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
        Father's Name: John Simpson
        Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11240-5
        System Origin: Scotland-ODM
        Source Film Number: 993299
        Reference Number:
        Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

        Name: George Simpson
        Gender: Male
        Baptism/Christening Date: 11 Nov 1792
        Baptism/Christening Place: OLD MACHAR,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
        Father's Name: George Simpson
        Mother's Name: Agnes Forbes
        Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11906-4
        System Origin: Scotland-ODM
        Source Film Number: 991206
        Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

        Name: George Simpson
        Gender: Male
        Baptism/Christening Date: 09 Oct 1793
        Baptism/Christening Place: SAINT NICHOLAS,ABERDEEN,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
        Father's Name: Peter Simpson
        Mother's Name: Katharine Garden
        Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11168-7
        System Origin: Scotland-ODM
        Source Film Number: 991137
        Reference Number:
        Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

        Name: George Simpson
        Gender: Male
        Baptism/Christening Date: 20 Jul 1798
        Baptism/Christening Place: ELLON,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
        Father's Name: Alexander Simpson
        Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11192-4
        System Origin: Scotland-ODM
        Source Film Number: 993181
        Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

        Name: George Simpson
        Gender: Male
        Baptism/Christening Date: 29 Jun 1799
        Baptism/Christening Place: ELLON,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
        Father's Name: George Simpson
        Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11192-4
        System Origin: Scotland-ODM
        Source Film Number: 993181
        Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

        Name: George Simpson
        Gender: Male
        Baptism/Christening Date: 02 Feb 1799
        Baptism/Christening Place: BIRSE,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
        Father's Name: John Simpson
        Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11175-2
        System Origin: Scotland-ODM
        Source Film Number: 991258
        Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

        Any ideas on how to select with one is the George Simpson that was the shipmaster in Peterhead?

        Cheers
        Susan

        --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Malcolm Simpson" <malcolm.simpson@...> wrote:

        > Hi David,
        > I don't think there is any connections between our two Simpsons.I wish there were but the surname Simpson is very common in the North East of Scotland.
        > Best of luck, Malcolm Simpson.

      • ogstonfamilyresearcher
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 21, 2010
          Hi Malcolm and David,

          Missed a couple – here is the new list – in order for dates between 1770-1799 for Aberdeenshire for George Simpson. TOO MANY to choose from!

[...]

          Baptism/Christening Date: 22 Sep 1791
          Baptism/Christening Place: STRATHDON,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
          Father's Name: George Simpson
          Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11240-5
          System Origin: Scotland-ODM
          Source Film Number: 993299
          Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

          Name: George Simpson
          Gender: Male
          Baptism/Christening Date: 11 Nov 1792
          Baptism/Christening Place: OLD MACHAR,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
          Father's Name: George Simpson
          Mother's Name: Agnes Forbes
          Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11906-4
          System Origin: Scotland-ODM
          Source Film Number: 991206
          Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

          Name: George Simpson
          Gender: Male
          Baptism/Christening Date:
          Baptism/Christening Place:
          Birth Date: 15 Mar 1798
          Birthplace: CAIRNIE BY HUNTLY,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
          Father's Name: John Simpson
          Mother's Name: Jean Gaw
          Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11178-4
          System Origin: Scotland-ODM
          Source Film Number: 993482
          Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

          Name: Geo. Simpson
          Gender: Male
          Baptism/Christening Date: 21 Mar 1793
          Baptism/Christening Place: CAIRNIE BY HUNTLY,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
          Father's Name: George Simpson
          Mother's Name: Isobel Milne
          Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11178-4
          System Origin: Scotland-ODM
          Source Film Number: 993482
          Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

          Name: George Simpson
          Gender: Male
          Baptism/Christening Date: 09 Oct 1793
          Baptism/Christening Place: SAINT NICHOLAS,ABERDEEN,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
          Father's Name: Peter Simpson
          Mother's Name: Katharine Garden
          Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11168-7
          System Origin: Scotland-ODM
          Source Film Number: 991137
          Reference Number:
          Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

          Name: George Simpson
          Gender: Male
          Baptism/Christening Date: 19 Apr 1794
          Baptism/Christening Place: KING EDWARD,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
          Birth Date: 12 Apr 1794
          Father's Name: Alexr. Simpson
          Mother's Name: Janet Gall
          Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11210-2
          System Origin: Scotland-ODM
          Source Film Number: 993334
          Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

          Name: George Simpson
          Gender: Male
          Baptism/Christening Date: 16 Apr 1794
          Baptism/Christening Place: SLAINS,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
          Birth Date: 15 Apr 1794
          Father's Name: George Simpson
          Mother's Name: Jean Kelly
          Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11239-5
          System Origin: Scotland-ODM
          Source Film Number: 993361
          Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

          Name: George Simpson
          Gender: Male
          Baptism/Christening Date: 26 Jan 1797
          Baptism/Christening Place: MIDMAR,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
          Father's Name: John Simpson
          Mother's Name: Jane Fyfe
          Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11222-2
          System Origin: Scotland-ODM
          Source Film Number: 993344
[...]

        • Alison Kennedy
          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 21, 2010
            I don't want to disappoint you but for every birth / baptism which you have
            found there are at least the same number whose birth / baptism either wasn't
            registered or the record has not survived the intervening years.  Unless (or
            until) you have got some form of proof as to George's parents I'm afraid that
            you have just reached a brick wall in your research, one that you might not
            possibly resolve.  Try checking census records and see if the family ever had
            relatives (of George) living with them who may have survived past 1855 and whose
            death (or marriage) certificates may give some assistance, or try checking other
            Simpson records to see if you can find a connection to your George through
            witnesses or informants.

            Regards

            Alison

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 21, 2010
              Hi Alison,

              I know you are quite right and I thank you for your response. But optimism is my middle name and brick walls were meant to tumble down! haha And who knows - maybe some kind soul out there will have the information I am looking for and post it.

              Cheers
              Susan

              --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, Alison Kennedy <alison2kennedy@...> wrote:

              > I don't want to disappoint you but for every birth / baptism which you have
              > found there are at least the same number whose birth / baptism either wasn't
              > registered or the record has not survived the intervening years.  Unless (or
              > until) you have got some form of proof as to George's parents I'm afraid that
              > you have just reached a brick wall in your research, one that you might not
              > possibly resolve.  Try checking census records and see if the family ever had
              > relatives (of George) living with them who may have survived past 1855 and whose
              > death (or marriage) certificates may give some assistance, or try checking other
              > Simpson records to see if you can find a connection to your George through
              > witnesses or informants.
              >
              > Regards
              >
              > Alison

            • ogstonfamilyresearcher
              Message 6 of 22 , Jul 12, 2011
                Malcolm - please contact me at familyhunter57(at)gmail.com. I have found more information on our growing Simpson family!!!

                Cheers
                Susan