Re: George SIMPSON, Shipmaster

  • ogstonfamilyresearcher
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 16, 2010
      --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, David Britt <mpexota@...> wrote:

      > For Malcolm and Susan  .. I have a George Simpson b. 26 Jan 1797 Midmar to John
      > Simpson b. Apr 1763 Midmar married to Jane Fyfe b. c1766 Dysart, Fife.

      Hi David - Thanks for the heads up on George Simpson - that may be him - I will have to look into that further! Will let you know!

      Thanks again
      Susan
    • Malcolm Simpson
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 17, 2010
        Hi Susan,
        All your information as far as I know it is correct.The only correction I can make is that George Simpson's mother was Margaret Buchan,daughter of George Buchan a harbour pilot at Peterhead.Hope this helps.
        Best Wishes,Malcolm Simpson.
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 17, 2010
          Hi David,
          I don't think there is any connections between our two Simpsons.I wish there were but the surname Simpson is very common in the North East of Scotland.
          Best of luck, Malcolm Simpson.
          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 21, 2010
            Hi Malcolm and David,

            So I went looking to see if I could find any other possibilities for our George Simpson. This is what I have found.

            Name: George Simpson
            Gender: Male
            Baptism/Christening Date: 14 Feb 1785
            Baptism/Christening Place: SAINT NICHOLAS,ABERDEEN,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
            Father's Name: John Simpson
            Mother's Name: Reid Walker
            Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11168-7
            System Origin: Scotland-ODM
            Source Film Number: 991137
            Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

            Name: George Simpson
            Gender: Male
            Baptism/Christening Date: 23 May 1785
            Baptism/Christening Place: SAINT NICHOLAS,ABERDEEN,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
            Father's Name: Joseph Simpson
            Mother's Name: Frances Burnett
            Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11168-7
            System Origin: Scotland-ODM
            Source Film Number: 991137
            Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

            Name: George Simpson
            Gender: Male
            Baptism/Christening Date: 04 Sep 1787
            Baptism/Christening Place: OLD MACHAR,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
            Father's Name: William Simpson
            Mother's Name: Jean Webster
            Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11906-4
            System Origin: Scotland-ODM
            Source Film Number: 991206
            Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

            Name: George Simpson
            Gender: Male
            Baptism/Christening Date: 02 Oct 1788
            Baptism/Christening Place: STRATHDON,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
            Father's Name: John Simpson
            Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11240-5
            System Origin: Scotland-ODM
            Source Film Number: 993299
            Reference Number:
            Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

            Name: George Simpson
            Gender: Male
            Baptism/Christening Date: 11 Nov 1792
            Baptism/Christening Place: OLD MACHAR,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
            Father's Name: George Simpson
            Mother's Name: Agnes Forbes
            Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11906-4
            System Origin: Scotland-ODM
            Source Film Number: 991206
            Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

            Name: George Simpson
            Gender: Male
            Baptism/Christening Date: 09 Oct 1793
            Baptism/Christening Place: SAINT NICHOLAS,ABERDEEN,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
            Father's Name: Peter Simpson
            Mother's Name: Katharine Garden
            Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11168-7
            System Origin: Scotland-ODM
            Source Film Number: 991137
            Reference Number:
            Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

            Name: George Simpson
            Gender: Male
            Baptism/Christening Date: 20 Jul 1798
            Baptism/Christening Place: ELLON,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
            Father's Name: Alexander Simpson
            Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11192-4
            System Origin: Scotland-ODM
            Source Film Number: 993181
            Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

            Name: George Simpson
            Gender: Male
            Baptism/Christening Date: 29 Jun 1799
            Baptism/Christening Place: ELLON,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
            Father's Name: George Simpson
            Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11192-4
            System Origin: Scotland-ODM
            Source Film Number: 993181
            Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

            Name: George Simpson
            Gender: Male
            Baptism/Christening Date: 02 Feb 1799
            Baptism/Christening Place: BIRSE,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
            Father's Name: John Simpson
            Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11175-2
            System Origin: Scotland-ODM
            Source Film Number: 991258
            Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

            Any ideas on how to select with one is the George Simpson that was the shipmaster in Peterhead?

            Cheers
            Susan

            --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, "Malcolm Simpson" <malcolm.simpson@...> wrote:

            > Hi David,
            > I don't think there is any connections between our two Simpsons.I wish there were but the surname Simpson is very common in the North East of Scotland.
            > Best of luck, Malcolm Simpson.

          • ogstonfamilyresearcher
            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 21, 2010
              Hi Malcolm and David,

              Missed a couple – here is the new list – in order for dates between 1770-1799 for Aberdeenshire for George Simpson. TOO MANY to choose from!

[...]

              Baptism/Christening Date: 22 Sep 1791
              Baptism/Christening Place: STRATHDON,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
              Father's Name: George Simpson
              Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11240-5
              System Origin: Scotland-ODM
              Source Film Number: 993299
              Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

              Name: George Simpson
              Gender: Male
              Baptism/Christening Date: 11 Nov 1792
              Baptism/Christening Place: OLD MACHAR,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
              Father's Name: George Simpson
              Mother's Name: Agnes Forbes
              Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11906-4
              System Origin: Scotland-ODM
              Source Film Number: 991206
              Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

              Name: George Simpson
              Gender: Male
              Baptism/Christening Date:
              Baptism/Christening Place:
              Birth Date: 15 Mar 1798
              Birthplace: CAIRNIE BY HUNTLY,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
              Father's Name: John Simpson
              Mother's Name: Jean Gaw
              Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11178-4
              System Origin: Scotland-ODM
              Source Film Number: 993482
              Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

              Name: Geo. Simpson
              Gender: Male
              Baptism/Christening Date: 21 Mar 1793
              Baptism/Christening Place: CAIRNIE BY HUNTLY,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
              Father's Name: George Simpson
              Mother's Name: Isobel Milne
              Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11178-4
              System Origin: Scotland-ODM
              Source Film Number: 993482
              Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

              Name: George Simpson
              Gender: Male
              Baptism/Christening Date: 09 Oct 1793
              Baptism/Christening Place: SAINT NICHOLAS,ABERDEEN,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
              Father's Name: Peter Simpson
              Mother's Name: Katharine Garden
              Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11168-7
              System Origin: Scotland-ODM
              Source Film Number: 991137
              Reference Number:
              Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

              Name: George Simpson
              Gender: Male
              Baptism/Christening Date: 19 Apr 1794
              Baptism/Christening Place: KING EDWARD,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
              Birth Date: 12 Apr 1794
              Father's Name: Alexr. Simpson
              Mother's Name: Janet Gall
              Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11210-2
              System Origin: Scotland-ODM
              Source Film Number: 993334
              Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

              Name: George Simpson
              Gender: Male
              Baptism/Christening Date: 16 Apr 1794
              Baptism/Christening Place: SLAINS,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
              Birth Date: 15 Apr 1794
              Father's Name: George Simpson
              Mother's Name: Jean Kelly
              Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11239-5
              System Origin: Scotland-ODM
              Source Film Number: 993361
              Collection: Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950

              Name: George Simpson
              Gender: Male
              Baptism/Christening Date: 26 Jan 1797
              Baptism/Christening Place: MIDMAR,ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND
              Father's Name: John Simpson
              Mother's Name: Jane Fyfe
              Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11222-2
              System Origin: Scotland-ODM
              Source Film Number: 993344
[...]

            • Alison Kennedy
              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 21, 2010
                I don't want to disappoint you but for every birth / baptism which you have
                found there are at least the same number whose birth / baptism either wasn't
                registered or the record has not survived the intervening years.  Unless (or
                until) you have got some form of proof as to George's parents I'm afraid that
                you have just reached a brick wall in your research, one that you might not
                possibly resolve.  Try checking census records and see if the family ever had
                relatives (of George) living with them who may have survived past 1855 and whose
                death (or marriage) certificates may give some assistance, or try checking other
                Simpson records to see if you can find a connection to your George through
                witnesses or informants.

                Regards

                Alison

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 21, 2010
                  Hi Alison,

                  I know you are quite right and I thank you for your response. But optimism is my middle name and brick walls were meant to tumble down! haha And who knows - maybe some kind soul out there will have the information I am looking for and post it.

                  Cheers
                  Susan

                  --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, Alison Kennedy <alison2kennedy@...> wrote:

                  > I don't want to disappoint you but for every birth / baptism which you have
                  > found there are at least the same number whose birth / baptism either wasn't
                  > registered or the record has not survived the intervening years.  Unless (or
                  > until) you have got some form of proof as to George's parents I'm afraid that
                  > you have just reached a brick wall in your research, one that you might not
                  > possibly resolve.  Try checking census records and see if the family ever had
                  > relatives (of George) living with them who may have survived past 1855 and whose
                  > death (or marriage) certificates may give some assistance, or try checking other
                  > Simpson records to see if you can find a connection to your George through
                  > witnesses or informants.
                  >
                  > Regards
                  >
                  > Alison

                • ogstonfamilyresearcher
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jul 12, 2011
                    Malcolm - please contact me at familyhunter57(at)gmail.com. I have found more information on our growing Simpson family!!!

                    Cheers
                    Susan