Rev. James Keith (b. 1696) Family Search

  • Dale Realander
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 6 3:33 AM
      My Scottish Ancestor is Rev. James Keith b.1696 in Peterhead; emigrated to America (Virginia) in 1727; returned to England to be ordained and became rector at Henrico Parish Church in 1729; married Mary Isham Randolph in 1733.

      I am able to trace everything forward but would like to fill the gaps prior to James' immigration to America.

      I am searching for James' parents, siblings, etc. Very little info so far. Please help!

      Thank you for any leads you may be able to provide.

      Dale Realander

    • Robert Prewitt
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 6 9:15 AM
        Greetings Dale,

        I also descend from Rev. James Keith of Peterhead, my 6th great-grandfather. A few years ago I posted to this group a couple of times, but you are the only connection I've made. I hope we can help each other.

        There is a great deal of information about the Clan Keith, but little about James. Over the years I've rooted out some from secondary sources, but there seems to be a lack of records about his ancestry. One writer states that James was the son of George Keith, a professor at Marischal College in Aberdeen, where James was a divinity student.

        I've compiled a two page story with footnotes about him, mostly about his marriage and time in Virginia. I can e-mail it to you so you will know what I have, then you can let me know anything more or different that you have. If this works for you, let me know.

        Your Cousin, Bob Prewitt
        Temple, Texas

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 7 4:48 PM
          Hi Cousin Bob!

          Wow! I have met several cousins since I began searching on line!! It's great!  I would love to share information with you regarding Rev. James Keith. He is my fifth Great Grandfather.

          I recently toured Scotland and visited Dunnottar Castle; the church where many of the Keiths are buried; the church where the Crown Jewels were stashed under the floor boards for 11 years; and the Marishal College building which is presently being renovated for the new City Hall (they are preserving the facade and updating the interior).  I even picked up a piece of Keith Tartan while I was there.  It was amazing being in those places, however they revealed nothing new about the Rev.

          Sincerely,
          Cousin Dale Stilwagen Realander
          Riverhead, New York