Re: [Peterhead] Re: new member researching Taits, Duncans, Gordons

  • Elisabeth Wilson
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 11, 2010
      At 07:36 PM 11/03/2010, you wrote:

      >I havent got very far withe Gordons I have Amelia Strachan Gordon
      >born 1897 married to Joseph Foster Tait. She was somehow related to
      >William Gordon a Provost of Peterhead 1946-1950
      I'm afraid none of these sound like any of mine!

      Elisabeth Wilson
      Lenah Valley, Tasmania
      SPENCE(Peterhead) PAUL (Peterhead?) MURRISON (Peterhead) CRAIG
      (Strichen) DAVIDSON (Strichen)
    • Mary Barnes
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 19, 2010
        Hi Elizabeth,

        I wonder if one of your Boddam/Peterhead Duncan ancestors might be William Duncan, who died aged 58, on 7 May 1877. His death was the result of the pilot boat capsizing off the Skerrie, with all three crew lost, no bodies found. I have his death certificate (it was on the same page of the register as that of my great-grandfather Matthew Nicol who died in the same accident). I also have several newspaper reports of the accident. I can send you copies of these if you are interested.

        William was married to Margaret Duncan. His parents were William Duncan, seaman and Margaret Duncan (M.S. Robertson), both deceased at the time of his death. It was reported that that he had four children, and that he sailed for many years, as ordinary seaman and mate, with Captain William Mackie in the schooner Jane of Peterhead.

        Mary

        Mary Barnes
        marysb@...
      • duncan.mags
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 20, 2010
          My William Duncan was the son of Alexander Duncan and Ann Cooper. He was born 1847 in the Parish of Ellon and married Christian Bruce and I believe they lived around Clola, Aberdeenshire before moving into Boddam. They were certainly in Boddam by 1878 as their son James was born there in that year.

          I dont think the William Duncan you mention is him.

          --- In Peterhead@yahoogroups.com, Mary Barnes <marysb@...> wrote:

          > Hi Elizabeth,
          >
          > I wonder if one of your Boddam/Peterhead Duncan ancestors might be William Duncan, who died aged 58, on 7 May 1877. His death was the result of the pilot boat capsizing off the Skerrie, with all three crew lost, no bodies found. I have his death certificate (it was on the same page of the register as that of my great-grandfather Matthew Nicol who died in the same accident). I also have several newspaper reports of the accident. I can send you copies of these if you are interested.
          >
          > William was married to Margaret Duncan. His parents were William Duncan, seaman and Margaret Duncan (M.S. Robertson), both deceased at the time of his death. It was reported that that he had four children, and that he sailed for many years, as ordinary seaman and mate, with Captain William Mackie in the schooner Jane of Peterhead.
          >
          > Mary
          >

          > Mary Barnes
          > marysb@...

        • duncan.mags
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 20, 2010
            Oh I am sorry, I see you have addressed this to Elizabeth and not me. I do apologise - I'm not yet used to the way yahoo groups work, it came to my email address therefore it was for me lol sorry!!!